fuel bladders...

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

farside

fuel bladders...

Post by farside »

Question:

For gassers with fiberglass tanks, has anyone ever thought of (probably would be my guess) and/or explored using fuel bladders inside of the fiberglass tank body? What I'm talking about it cutting the top of the fiberglass tank off and put a plastic, collapsible, fuel bladder inside it (for structural purposes), and run like that?

I'm only asking because I've come across a well priced gas powered 31, but don't want to lay out the $ for a diesel conversion or a new tank at the moment. All the fuel available (CA) has ethanol in it.

Fuel bladder manufacturer: http://www.marinefuelbladders.com They make custom ones too.

John
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The factory tank has baffles that would have to be removed. In order to do that you would have to cut off the existing top of the tank. I tried it on an old tank and it would be a tough job as the baffles are also fastened to the top. The old tanks were very well built, but not ethanol proof. The consensus was that a bladder or internal coating was not feasible.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I dont know if you have priced those bladders but they aint cheap, more expensive then aluminum last I checked

the bladder also needs a friendly environment to live in, meaning you have to get the inside of the tank smooth, you will regret this when you are trying to grind the 300+ rivets that hold the baffles and lid in place
Harv

Post by Harv »

A friend of mine has a B25 that he uses 2 bladders on. He has a cutoff on his fuels lines, that he plumbs to the bladders. The only thing is they are small (about 50 gals each), and he keeps them on deck until they empty. Then he rolls them up and stores them out of the way until the next time he needs them.

BTW, he also replaced his tanks with new aluminum tanks about 3 years ago.
Harv