tank replacement

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

tank replacement

Post by Rocky »

Hi guys, I'm having a tank possably built by Alex Whitaker here on the west coast and wanted to know(problably been asked before) if it is doable to remove deck, replace tank and replace original deck for now just to have a working main tank. I want to be able to run her longer than the two saddle tanks can without worrying about range. Maybe someone has done this already, just need to know if they thought it was worth the extra effert at a later time for the deck itself, cost is the limiting factor. Thanks.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

rocky
i have been trying to contact alex, do you have his adress, i have his #
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Shouldn't be a problem depending on the tank height and clearence issues. You can also shim the deck up, but that could also entail raising the engine boxes... But it's all do-able.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Capt Pat, glad that's doable. CWJ, I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to give out Alexes E-mail, I know he's out of the country right now I would just keep trying that 3030 #. I'll E-mail him and ask if that's O.K.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Charlie,

Alex's website email is: sales@31Bertram.com
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

rocky, capt pat
thanks have both
left voice mail to call me
was looking for his mailing address
thanks guys
coolair

Post by coolair »

I just removed my deck original plywood deck, i drilled the heads off the screw and brought the pieces up pretty solid except for around the aft hatch, i guess there is no reason you couldn't just screw it back down.
I dont have pics of the pieces, but they were in good enough shape to use as templets for the new panels, and i used a porta-power and the tank came up insanely easy.

Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

This is great Matt, I might just be right behind you on your project.
So upon fiinding all the screws holding the deck down just grind the surface until you find them I assume? And I think I remember the Capt saying the three sections join like lap joints? I am also wondering do you have the 170gal tank (I can't see if you have a flanged top on tank)
and what are you planning on putting back in? Mine (I'll leave it up to the pro Alex) does not look like much extra length can be added due to the rudder shelf and B28 style rudder system. I did not want to raise the deck really, and for my use I don't remember ever having to worry about 170 gallons being short, even running to the Farrallon Islands rockfishing. I will have a gen pickup and diesel returns in the new one I also remember the Capt suggesting. Please post more pics as you go! Thanks.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You can probably get away with the removal of the center panel only. Then just trace it on marine plywood and cut out a fresh one. When I did mine a long time ago, I sealed it before re covering with Nautilux as per the original.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

That sounds even better Walter, it does look like tight quarters between the outer decks but worth a try absolutely. Did you put in the same capacity tank as you took out?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

In my case, I had some rot that necessitated the deck replacement. This was pre-ethanol. If I remember correctly, there were aluminum strips running lengthwide between the panels that I removed and reinstalled with some sealer of sorts between the panels before I did to minimize water intrusion. Given you are going to destroy the tank anyway, I do believe there was enough space between the tank wall and the longitudinal stringers to get a sawzall in there for separation. Lifting it out may be tougher as the only gripping place I can remember is the fill plate. Good luck! Walter
coolair

Post by coolair »

Rocky
mine is the 170 gal, and i started removing all of it because i am redoing the deck also, BUT i am pretty sure if you remove the hold down blocks on the center and supports the tank would come out with out removing the other deck sections, I was lucky, the foam was stuck to my tank, not the boat, so mine came up easy. As far as the screws go, i used a 1/2" or so drill bit, and once you get an idea of where the screws are just drill the heads off, there was i think 4 or so across and like 4 rows, and the just pull the brass screws out with channel locks, i did get a few out by just unscrewing them, they are flat heads. As far as a tank, if my measurement were correct, you can get a lot more tank with out raising the deck, i think with out moving the rudder shelf you can go like 6 or 7 inches longer. I personally am using a aluminum tank. I cant justify the cost of fiberglass at this time. I have talked to alex a couple times, I am sure he can help alot with dimensions and there is alot on here that Capt. Pat did with "zero cavity" And if Mike Dolan would hurry up and fix his web site, he had a TON of picks
My tank should be here from Florida shortly.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi Matt, yes the 6" is what I see on the aft end of my tank for possable lengthening also, of course I'll leave it up to Alex for max size. This is great about maybe having the room to pull from center deck only, then when I do the entire cockpit I'll go all out on everything under it later, especially reinforcing the strut pads. Thanks for the fastener location/tips also. I'll try to post pics myself as I go.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Well, maybe springtime would be better for this job, this weather sucks even in California!
coolair

Post by coolair »

suck it up!
haha my tank arrived yesterday i am about to start blowing and going on the project.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hey Mat, the tank is being built now, can't wait for the Ethanal thing to be behind this boat, maybe upgraded fuel hoses and injection for the big blocks for now, before diesels in the future.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Just some progress pics of tank install.
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
coolair

Post by coolair »

Man that looks great! i am so far behind on my project, Just have not had the time.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Mat, I was even "friendly for the next guy" with the tank in belly of boat with a release agent on tank before foaming it in. Then just tabbed it in,
in four places.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Man...I am so glad that job is behind me.

Looks great Rocky!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

You and me both Carl, thanks! Almost time to enjoy it, that is, on the water.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rocky wrote:You and me both Carl, thanks! Almost time to enjoy it, that is, on the water.
One more Not so Happy Task...filling it up.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Let's see, $3.00/ gal times ---------!!! Ouch!