Lesson Learned

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jspiezio

Lesson Learned

Post by jspiezio »

Had to rebuild the carbs on both the Evinrudes on my Hydrasport. Ethanol ate away the seals and gas was pouring out of the port engine into the splash well when ever I started the engines. Mechanic says he is replacing with new ethanol resistant seals.

I was running her with my 4yo and my 7 yo nephew in board when I saw it. Thinking about what could have happend if she backfired or when I was starting her with all those fumes is scary. We came home with the cowling off and running on the starboard only.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Sorry to say it's going to happen to someone somewhere, and fairly soon as the ethanol has been around long enough to start doing serious damage to seals and gaskets. I only hope that if it does happen, it happens on some Senator's or Congressman's family boat. Then watch the sparks fly! You and me don't seem to matter...they do! Walter
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

walterk wrote:Sorry to say it's going to happen to someone somewhere, and fairly soon as the ethanol has been around long enough to start doing serious damage to seals and gaskets. I only hope that if it does happen, it happens on some Senator's or Congressman's family boat. Then watch the sparks fly! You and me don't seem to matter...they do! Walter
How frigging sad is it that this really seems to be the case? If you are not a decent sized donor or if you can't somehow provide them publicity they do not give a rat's ass.