1978 B31

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gcreas1

1978 B31

Post by gcreas1 »

Hello

New to the forum, new proud owner of a 78' B31 with gas engines. The boat has been sitting for a while, 3-4 years. Has never had ethanol laced gas in the tanks or run through the engines. The boat still has the original fiber glass tanks which look visual pretty clean internally with no exterior seepage. Given the fact that any new gas added will be with ethanol.

Questions
Is there any chance that these tanks will hold up? I have heard conflicting stories on this subject, some saying that just the gas lines need to be replaced. Should I just bite the bullit and replace them now? If so which tank material would be best if I want to re-power as diesel in the long run?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If in fact you are considering a diesel repower at a later date, factor in that your fiberglass tank is "forever" with diesel fuel. No cutting up of deck, no tank replacement costs, new hoses, etc. If that savings moves up your repower date, leave it in. After much discussion, it's more than the hoses. What E-10 does to your tank and engines is insideous and will take some time before you start seeing and feeling the signs...but it WILL happen on a pre 1980 fiberglass tank. Most have gone with aluminum, although at a premium price an ethanol-proof fiberglass tank is now available. No matter what material you choose, you might as well pre-plumb for diesel which will entail 2 return lines. If you plan on a generator, the same thought...put in a feed and return. These can be capped for now and ready for use later. Walter
gcreas1

Post by gcreas1 »

Thanks much for the input, I don't have the resources to repower
Right now so will go with the new tank.

Thanks
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Hi there ... congrats on the new boat, i'm out looking also.
Where did you find the B31 that you bought ? What model is it ?
gmelvin

Post by gmelvin »

Gary,

Some of us (at least 3) are in the same boat and are in the procces of replacing our tanks with the next 2 months. Take a look at the gen. discussion post for "new fuel (gas) tank" and let us know if you are interested.

Glenn
gcreas1

Post by gcreas1 »

The Boat is in Newport Beach, it is a 78 31 FBC with a Tuna tower. It has been under used for several years but seems to be in good shape. I'm used to doing most of my own work on 350 Crusaders so 454 Mercs are somewhat foreign but things are coming around. Dealing with old gas and a cranky Onan genset.

So far my best price out here for a custom fit replacement Aluminum tank is $3200. Is this in line with what you are getting on the east coast?

Thanks

Gary
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Gary ... you have a personal message
Jim M.

Post by Jim M. »

Gary.. What is the name of your boat. I'm also in Newport Beach, my boat is a 1979, "Beach It" located at NHYC. I also have 454's and original glass tank. No problems yet. Knock on wood.
Jim M.
Bill Mckinnon

Fuel tank

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Best to get a new tank and make it top on your list or you will be replacing the engines. I am repowering now. Had to take the 454's out and the tank was bad. I have the two old engines. Toke them out before and damage but they need to be torn down and cleaned. have lots of parts

Captain Bill McKinnon