Progress( unglamorous)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joe E

Progress( unglamorous)

Post by Joe E »

The last month was spent working on the plumbing, bathroom, corian counter top, shower, tanks, custom fiberglass tank holders, pumps, electrical, etc... Lets just say it was time consuming and F-ing expensive!!!!! Everything still needs a good cleaning before the cabin floor goes in. Best part is my new diesel genset came today. Stoked!!!!
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Pete Fallon

Re: Progress( unglamorous)

Post by Pete Fallon »

Joe E,
Nice looking work, I do see one problem, that water heater is going to turn into a giant pile of rust in a very short time. Even if you have sealed off the area. no matter what it going to get wet in that space. I was looking around the interior and it looks like you have gutted everything out. I was going to suggest putting the water heater where the refrigerator wasor behind it , that's about the driest place in the cabin. But if you don't have that option I would raise it up as high as you can go and still get the cabin sole to sit down properly. I'd cut some shims out of starboard or Coosa board and raise the heater up. Hate to rain on your great progress but you will be lucky to get a year out of that heater before is rusted away.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Thanks Pete, I can shim it no problem. There should no reason for water to enter into the cabin. It's 100% sealed from the engine room. There is no room above the cabin sole for the heater. Thanks Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Joe interesting approach with the aluminum deck supports in this area nice job, looking great!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Joe E wrote:There should no reason for water to enter into the cabin.
It's a boat… And they tend to get water everywhere… Whether it's sea water from the outside, condensate from the air or whatever…
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Is that bilge space actually filled in or is that a floor?
The reason I ask is you have to be very careful how much weight you add to the forward end of the boat otherwise the deep v bow will act like a rudder. Seen it in a number of 31's and it leads to bad steering issues.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Navatech wrote: It's a boat… And they tend to get water everywhere… Whether it's sea water from the outside, condensate from the air or whatever…
Also take into account that the anchor locker drains into the bilge. Unless you seal up the floor of the locker and dedicate a drain hose from there to the cockpit bilge you will have water standing around the water heater...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Joe , nice job .

Hate to have you tell this but the guys are right.........another thing is that your FWpump is better of mounted horizontaly or upside down the way it is is mounted now.
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.