Underwater lights??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

Underwater lights??

Post by Todd Pearce »

hi to all , anybody had any experience with underwater lights,I`am keen on installing some ,but, which brand?, How big? What colour? What to avoid?
Regards Todd
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Underwater lights??

Post by Bruce »

Todd,
You looking for mood, show lighting or fishing?
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Lumitec seablaze x...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Is there a color that is best for fishing?
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

a little bit of everything Bruce,but more for good effect, and bringing in the baitfish at night most of all
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bruce wrote:You looking for mood, show lighting or fishing?
Actually, I'd be looking for all three... In the following order: fishing, mood & show lighting... Furthermore, my emphasis would be as follows: 75% fishing, 20% mood & 5% show lighting

Is there something that would cover all three?!... I'm willing to compromise on mood & show lighting...
frank price

Post by frank price »

I put a pair of Lumishore LEDs in my boat last year. They do require a 3/8" hole through the transom. They are made of aluminum encapsulated in some sort of plastic resin so no corrosion issues. I live in the Northeast so was told that for my waters the blue color would be best for fishing and went with that. The model I went with was the smx 50 at $650 ea. My experience with them has been good. The fish early in the summer would be all over the back of my boat and the stripers were so thick I literally could reach down and touch them. I was catching keepers at the slip within 30 seconds of getting the bait in the water. Mid season the bait was much slower to come around for some reason and so were the stripers. Not sure why but it was still cool to have the lights. After having them for a season I wish I'd gone with the SMX 100's. They cost twice as much but have twice the LED "bulbs, so twice the light and also allow you to choose between white, red or blue with a flick of the switch.. While I was in Cuttyhunk last summer the guys with white lights looked pretty cool in that color water tho not sure about the fishing with different colors. I hope this helps.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Check out Macris Industries.

Its run by a good longtime friend, and they are excellent lights. Very rugged, and very bright. Call and ask for Harrison, and tell him I sent you. Check them out at http://www.macrisindustries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dug
frank price

Post by frank price »

Hey Dug,
Those would certainly be worth considering. The problem I have is that without seeing them function, I have no way to know what their numbers mean. My local electronics guy had the ones I went with and didn't have much of a choice. It would be nice if all these LED guys would set up booths close to each other at the boat shows. I guess I'm pretty satisfied with the ones I have but it's always worth looking around.
BTW, I recall you getting Kahlenburg horns a couple of years ago and partly because of that, got a pair of my own last summer. LOVE them.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

For ease of installation (NONE) I bought a Hydro-Glow.

Seems to work okay.

Tom