Re: 33' Tiara

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

Re: 33' Tiara

Post by Russ Pagels »

Has anyone ridden in, been on or know anything about the 33' Tiara fly bridge? Might be looking for something a little larger than my 31'. If anyone can give me any information on it I would appreciate it.

Stop me from going to the dark side.
Thanks,
Russ
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

wooooooo hooooooooo upgrading
neil

Post by neil »

timmmmy be nice ,you might need a tow one day
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Timmmmmy will never need a tow, his boat never leaves the dock.Don't get me wrong I love my boat but I've been BTF fishing and leaving the dock at 4 am and could use more eyes on the fly bridge in case any hatterasses have broken down in front of me in the dark. I would hait like like hell to cut one in half.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

stop it you two, I'm killin myself laughing........

Neil, whats capt jr holdin?
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Russ,

Why not stay in the family and get a 33 bert SF. Way more boat than the Tiara.
Regards,

Doug L.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Don't get me wrong I love my boat but I've been BTF fishing and leaving the dock at 4 am and could use more eyes on the fly bridge in case any hatterasses have broken down in front of me in the dark. I would hait like like hell to cut one in half.
Wow Timmmy was right you Guys do have a good sense of Humor!!!!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
neil

Post by neil »

timmy, jr is holding a 3 thousand dollar bass that was first place in 2006 ,if we can do it again we can afford montauk 07 first place was just enough to take us to oak bluff 06 seee ya there
Buju

Post by Buju »

I can't speak for the 33fb tiara, but have been on the 29 coronet and several tiara 31's. I beleive they have similar hull bottoms (deadrise)..
They are well built, nicely laid out, etc..
BUT they do NOT ride very well at all... I'm talking break your tailbone, hurt your knees pounding. Just not much deadrise there. My pops actually has a 29', and he has ( no lie ) fallen in behind me ( 18' flats skiff ) on the way to the reef several times. That pretty much sums it up.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

balsa cored layup
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Buju

Post by Buju »

Terry,
What is, the hull bottom? I thought the hull sides were, but didn't think they were cored below the chine.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

I think it might depend on the year. No matter what, his wife will like the boat. Half way to a Hatt !

Terry
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Russ,

Take the boat out for a ride in our typical seas. I'm thinking that you might pound way to much with that ride.

Br,

Terry

Terry
John F.

Post by John F. »

I have a friend with an '04 31 Tiara. We've been out in some pretty nasty stuff, and the boat rode great. Don't know about the 33-- The old 33 Open had a relatively low dead-rise (14 degrees or so?) compared to the 31, so I'd check that. The older 36 Tiara convertibles are real nice, and we test rode a new 39 Tiara convertible that was great and really well laid out. Nice boats.

John F.
CaptDana

33 tiara bridge

Post by CaptDana »

I have a 28 b-- and have fished on many 33 tiara bridges-- (tiara is built 20 miles from me)
My charter dock has had 2 of these 33's-= both now approaching the 20 yr old mark- Glass work holds up well-- solid boat-- not the fastest--( these are gas powered 454;s_ Cabin is functional and back deck is huge-- no huge party down below-- but then you are going to get the same on a 31 28 or 33 sportfisherman bert-- down side-- engine hatch access-- but it is lift assisted-- bridge is laid out nice with plenty of seating and a helm chair. Tiara puts lots of extras in their boats--and has always had an eye on quality.
Dana Bonney
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Agree with Capt Dana.

Unless you have a 70' Garlington with 1600hp per side and can do 45 knots and run across the tops of waves, any boats gonna pound.

I fondly remember being thrown about the cabin in Buddy Boy during the photo shoot run in 3 to 5 seas at cruise, including a few moments of weightlessness.

The Tiarra line is a good solid boat.
A good handling boat in that range is the early 90's and later Luhrs.
It has enough of a bow flare that it remains relatively dry, unlike the 31.
John C

tiara

Post by John C »

I have owned both a 31 bert and now a 31 tiara (1988). I feel the tiara is the better overall boat. The bert was the better fishing boat. As far as the ride both boats are wet the tiara less so. I could get a knot or two better speed with the bert when it was on the nose. All other seas about the same. The tiara rocks less and that met alot to me due to the fact I drift for fluke alot with my kids. Do I miss the bert? Yep. Kinda going from a sports car to a s.u.v. but with the wife and kids it just is better. The bert was 100% fishing the tiara 50/ 50 fish ,swim, goof around etc..The 33 hull and the 31 are simular. A dock mate owns a 33 flybridge (gas 1988) owned from day one and still loves the boat. I been on it a bunch of times and it rides like mine. They are not cored on the bottom they are balsa cored on the sides and the decks. None of their boats were bottom cored. They were thinking of building a 50 plus foot boat that was to be vacuum bag and cored dont know if they attempted that. They are one of the old school boat builders left. Family owned and very conserative. hey hold up very well mine is 18 years old and still looks like new.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Your 31 sounds like a nice boat. However I'm sticking to my guns that the 33 Bert SF is a lot more boat than the 33 Tiara SF. The Bert tips the scales at over 20K lbs while the Tiara comes in at 13K lbs. Also, the Tiara is a modified V (with less transom deadrise than the Berts 17.5) as opposed to a true deep-v.

Finally, I just never cared for the looks of the Tiara 33 SF. Now the 36 Tiara SF is another matter all together (although this boat also weighs considerably less than the 33 Bert).
Regards,

Doug L.
John C

tiara

Post by John C »

Bertram and Blackfin dont tell the whole story about the listed weights on their boats..bertams quote cruise weight, not dry weight.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

John C,

I'll give you that.

Bertram's website list the displacement weight of their 36 (the closest they make to a 33 now) as being calculated with:

With full fuel and water, 4 people and 1,000 lbs. of gear

The 33 SF has a 70 gallon water tank and holds 310 gallons of fuel:

70 gallons of water x 8.33lbs=583.1 lbs
310 gallons of gas x 1937.50 lbs
4 people x 200 lbs = 800 lbs (assuming they're all not as fat as I am!)

plus 1000 lbs of gear equals 4321 lbs.

The 1986 Bertram catalog I have lists the gas powered 33 SF at 20,930lbs.
Less the above brings it to 16,609lbs. This is still more than 3,600lbs heavier than the 33 Tiara SF which has the exact same dimensions (33x12.6). Tiara's website currently has all of their boat's listed weights as being dry. I'll assume they've always done it that way.

I'll admit its not the 7K-8K lb difference I mentioned earlier, but its still significantly heavier for being the same exact size.
Regards,

Doug L.
John C

Tiara

Post by John C »

After working on these silly things for over 25 years now crawling in around and under them I will say that (size for size) they all weigh around the same. There are some small differances but not that much. I have rebedded thru hulls on alot of hulls and can tell you there all about the same. So why do the man. inflate their weights? Why not one standard for everyone? Bertram shows the later model 31s weighing more than the early 60s models. We know that used less glass and glue in the later years. So what weighs more the countertops? When I rebedded the thru hulls on the bertram I owned I was shocked on how thin the bottom was. The reason it worked was they had people who knew how to laminate. The lamination was thin but strong..
Russ Pagels

tiara 33

Post by Russ Pagels »

Thank you one and all for your comments re: the tiara 33. as it turns out the boat lift that I put in last summer for the b31 is not wide enough to handel the larger beam of the tiara. So I will continue to ride the best boat ever to hit salt water. again thanks....Russ