Generator fuel supply

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

tds8268

Generator fuel supply

Post by tds8268 »

Adding a generator (diesel) that uses less than 1/2 gallon per hour. What can I tie into for my supply. Stock 1970 tank with a pair of 210 cummins. Can I draw from my fuel line (tee) after my Raycor 500 filters? Also wondering where to go with the return line from the generator. Can I tie it in to my engines return line or must I run it to the tank. Thanks for any help.
Dan
Harry Babb

Re: Generator fuel supply

Post by Harry Babb »

Dan

The fuel system for the genset needs to be totally separated from the engines.

You should have a separate pickup tube for the generator, a separate fuel filter for the generator and a separate return for the generator.

And just for the sake of conversation you should have a dedicated battery for the generator. I made the mistake of hooking my old gas genset to one of the engine batteries several years ago. One day when I was already running the genset I decided to crank the port engine. This caused a fuse to blow in the genset......then the electronic governor could not control the generator.......This happened on a Westerbeke.

hb
hb
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

And you might want a small electric in-line fuel pump too. Those generator fuel pumps don't like to lift.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Has anyone cheated and pulled fuel from their main fuel line? I know this is not recommended, a few people have tried to convince me it would be fine to do this. They claim they've never had any issues after doing so. I trust the feedback of the faithful a little more.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

...a few people have tried to convince me it would be fine to do this.
Don't do it... It all comes down to whose advice you want to take. Cutting BIG corners will usually lead to a damaged wheel when you hit the curb or a flip into the bar ditch.

Besides, cheating is for crooks and schlocks...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

The well meaning friends that tell you it will be fine, won't be there with you in 5-8s that are white on top while you are bent over a steaming hot Cummins trying to get rid of an airlock in the fuel line 90 miles from land. Bleeding fuel injectors lines is much more fun when tied up at the dock, with cold beer and lots of time available. I agree with Capt. Patrick completely, cut a corner and watch it bite you in the ass down the road -- it isn't a matter of if it is going to happen, WHEN is the operative word.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mike O wrote:And you might want a small electric in-line fuel pump too. Those generator fuel pumps don't like to lift.
What kind of inline fuel pump do you recommend Mike?

hb
hb
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I don't have a recommendation, but when I have a minute I'll check mine.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315