Anyone know this boat or owner? Bertram 31 Express rammed.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

captbone

Anyone know this boat or owner? Bertram 31 Express rammed.

Post by captbone »

randall

Post by randall »

if it was a local boat that hit them i don't see how they can avoid detection.....thats gonna leave a mark.

unfortunate to say the least.
captbone

Post by captbone »

I am glad no one was hurt. The 31 looks like someone put a lot of time and effort into making it perfect. The water damage and starboard side damage will most likely send it to boat heaven.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I'm pretty certain even with all the king's horses and all the king's men, even Captain Patrick can't put that Bertram back together again.

Well, actually, I'm certain he could -- but there better be some DEEP pockets because that is going to be some serious amount of hours and Captain Patrick's level of talent to put that back together again!
Dug

Post by Dug »

That truly sucks...
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

What sucks more is he backed off and kept going.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

That might be Frank Griffin's B31...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Believe this is a boat I posted about after being on St. John several years ago. The owner is a British Virgin Islander and runs a taxi/fishing charter with several B31's out of St. John. Pictured is Ivy Rose, his best boat with another of his boats in the background. Spent some time with him talking about our mutual passion and his collection and took a ride on Ivy Rose. At that time he had only the two. One had Cummins and the other Yannies. His renovation work was most impressive although he had not solicited help from the Sandbox. I told him then to jump in. Hope he is lurking and receives the condolences and heart-felt grief of the Faithful over his loss. If you are lurking let us know and accept any help we may be able to give.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
captbone

Post by captbone »

The paint color layout is almost identical. It does seems like the same owner.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

MIke

I don't think it is the same boat. The one that sunk is a hard top express.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

the people that hit them should be convicted of four counts of attempted murder if you ask me.
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Hopefully the Police can get enough information to prosecute. At night is going to make it tough to identify anything. The cowards certainly will do what's necessary to avoid detection. Hopefully there is a tidy discreet way to get justice. A job for Dexter.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Tony,
Sorry lack of communications skills in English. Didn't mean to say that the boat pictured was the one sunk. He didn't own the one sunk at the time I took the pics.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
gplume

Post by gplume »

Mikey-

Just returned from a vacation in Tortola, and saw the B31 in your picture in Soupers Hole. Went to get my camera, and he was gone by the time I got back.

I can testify that there many yahoos on the water down there. Got a first hand view of it spending a Sunday afternoon at Long Beach on Joost Van Dyke. Much alcohol added to the mix....with lots of high powered craft......and I thought RI was bad?

Real shame to see a fine craft wasted.....hopefully those on board do not have any permanent injuries.
Giff
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Giff,
Where on Tortola were you? My second home so to speak is Tortola. I have a real estate development company there and have been going since the sixties. Belmont Estates Limited. It's on the North shore of West End. When you were at Sopers you could look almost straight up and see the premiere house in Belmont at the top of the mountain.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

This is the B31 that got rammed:

In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I think I'll get sick! WHAT a shame!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Shoot, bet that boat can be repaired. Look what Marshall did with the Susie's Pissed after Katrina. All it takes is time, patience, & money.

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

There are some very strong international marine laws dating back to the titanic disaster when the ship California sail on by ignoring the titanic situation. They put that captain in leg irons and put him away for a long time.the first thing is to put that bastard in jail and take all his worldly possessions not for the accident but for leaving people in the water.what the hell it is a island I am sure that boat cannot be that hard to find.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob,
It's not that it's hard to find, but you need those willing to look.
Island time and 'give a shit!'
I will be surprised.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
gplume

Post by gplume »

Mickey-
Stayed at the Heritage Inn. View was fantastic. Tortola is like heaven on earth to me. Loved it there. Good atmosphere, good surf in front on Bomba's almost everyday I was there, good boating,' nice people, a great place. So is your company handling the house at the end of Soupers hole......what a spot. Plan to go back.....after my wallet recovers..sometime in the future.
Giff
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Giff,
That is Steele Point. Sad to say, No, not ours. If it were ours we would probably hold on to it.
Don't know the Heritage, where is it?
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
gplume

Post by gplume »

Mikey-
Halfway between carrot bay and cane garden bay...almost at the top of windy hill. Great spot.

Gifford
I
Giff
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Giff,
Ah, now I got it. Stayed at Quito's Ole World Inn in Cane Garden once. It was like a sixties Holiday Inn. Clean and neat and Quito is a hoot. He started there as a musician eons ago and bought the bar and then the restaurant and finally the hotel. Great guy. We had an ocean front room on the third floor and it had a fabulous sunset view from the balcony and Quito's music every night. Missed this year and am regretting it already.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
captbone

Post by captbone »

The update from THT

So here is the update, the other boat was the boat that everyone suspected. They are claiming they left the scene to take an injured passenger to the hospital. They did apparently notify the coast guard shortly after the incident. Both parties are now claiming that neither boat had their lights on. The Bertram is technically a recreational boat although it is owned by a commercial ferry operator and was being run by one of their captains. The other boat is a charter boat they had paying passengers on board and were returning form St Martin. The whole right away thing will be tough to determine. The accident happened just off shore of St John in an area with boat traffic from multiple directions. I suspect when it's all said and done the Coast Guard will blame both operators. As for why they raised the boat, it has nearly new motors in it that they planned to try to save. It also had about fifty gallons of diesel fuel that had to be dealt with and I am sure it will be needed for the investigation. Here is a link to the local newspaper article written yesterday.

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/ ... -collision
Jamie MacKenzie

Post by Jamie MacKenzie »

Yikes. That boat looks way too much like mine! Gives me the willies...