Don't splash the Bordeaux, please!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Peter

Don't splash the Bordeaux, please!

Post by Peter »

Anybody got a line on a good quality gimbled drink holder?

A buddy asked me about it because a cusomer asked him. I hadn't given it much thought, but these things which used to be everywhere are now harder to find.

Peter
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I bought one at worst marine a year ago or so. Of course they are now made of all plass-teak.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Peter,
Drink holders are availble through Lewis Marine, they have a bunch of different styles, fold-up, gimbled, some made by Whitecap, some by AFI, also Pompanette makes a SS glass holder. Prices range from $15.00 to $40.00. Info came from Lewis Catalog 2010 edition page 310.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Ask Uncle Vic. I hear that he's a Howdy Boater these days.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Mike, it is even worse -- he is now a "sailor."
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

say it aint so vic...do they have wind up in the bayou???
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Its all true Faithful. I have a cute little Capri 14.2 sailboat I keep in the water at my camp & sail away the lazy days. One of my elderly camp neighbors, who ain't all there no mo', saw me going down the canal in the blowboat with the sail up and told another neighbor I'd put a sheet on my bass boat.

As for drink holders, the best I've found came from Worst Marine and are fold-downs that screw to a vertical surface. When you flip it down, there are two plastic "hoops" inside, one to hold a beer that's in a Huggie and the other, smaller, for a straight beer can. Folded up its only maybe 3/8" thick. No gimbal needed. I have two on the FB of AJ.

Now on the sailboat I have some with suction cups that also came from Worst. Handy for drinks and holding all the crap you gotta have on a blowboat. I'm getting pretty good as a sailor. My secret is a 1980s two hp Mariner on a transom bracket. Wind wrong? Screw it, one pull and you go.

Howdy.

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

TailhookTom wrote:Mike, it is even worse -- he is now a "sailor."
Next thing you know, old UV will pimping wind power for Obama and telling us to buy wind futures.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

UV... Welcome to the dark side!

I sailed for about 30 years.. did about 40,000 miles offshore in Newport to Bermuda and Marblehead to Halifax races, plus an unknown number of offshore deliveries to/from Canada, Bermuda and the Carribbean. I still like sailing, but competitive sailing is a young man's sport, and I ain't young no more!

Once you learn to deflect the harsh comments from powerboaters about your rag bag sailing can be relaxing and even fun!

And for the power guys, take a look at the article on page 53 of the April issue of Soundings magazine.. a guy with a 1966 wooden 36' Grand Banks trawler has outfitted her with a ketch sailing rig.. to "save fuel" he says.

It is a big ocean.. there is room for everybody!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Peter

Post by Peter »

Of course all of you DO know that Ray Hunt was a SAILOR before he designed power boats..... and so too was Dick Bertram before he built his first Moppie.... Which might be one reason these designs are so succesful. ;-)

Peter
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

All boats ran by sails for a long, long time. Their hull designers learned the hard way to create hulls for varying needs. The deep V is the power boat's version of a keel. I'm not surprised. I'm old enough to remember and have fished on boats before Bertram and Hunt, when boat hulls were flat or rounded and made of plywood, Lapstrake wood planking or fitted planking and they all leaked to one degree or another. We DO owe the design of our hulls to sailors.