What was "Bertram International?"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Peter

What was "Bertram International?"

Post by Peter »

I was talking old boats and cars with a pal and he mentioned Bertram International and asked what the relationship was to Bertram.

I didn't know the answer, but figure someone here does.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... id=2261289

Peter
Carl

Post by Carl »

Other then the first part being "Bertram"....nothing.

Kind of like Viking Yachts and Viking Sport Cruisers...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bertram International was a far east yacht builder, (Taiwan maybe), and was not in any way connected with Bertram (Yachts).

Their hulls were solid fiberglass, but all else, including superstructure and decks were wood. Bertram (Yachts) produced a 58' in 1977, but wasn't building anything larger than the 38' in 1971. I don't think they ever made a 56', but Hatteras did and that boat looks far more like the 56' Hatt...

Notice the shear line of the Bertram International; more like the Hatteras shear, not the standard step shear of the Bertram (Yachts) or the period.

Also notice the tumblehome of the 1971 BI 56'. Napier had long taken over as Bertram's designer by then and none of his designs had a tumblehome...

Br,

Patrick
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Peter, I have an article on Bertram International at my office, and will refer to it tomorrow. Patrick is correct that the the BI was in no way connected to Bertram Yacht; however Dick Bertram allowed (sold) his naming rights to the boat that he then marketed here in the states. I don't recall that it ever attracted much of a following. I'll try to fill in the blanks tomorrow.

Tommy
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Peter,
Bertram International was as Pat said naming rights, most of the BI's were motor yacht 56' to 68' heavy layed up hulls a lot of double and triple cabin styles and more of a floating live a board vessel, but it did have sea keeping capablities for offshore trips.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Although I can not find a date on the promotonal article, Richard Bertram & Co. Yacht Brokerage released a promo piece titled: "The Deep Vee Story, By Richard Bertram" sometime in the early '70s. The opening page begins "About the author" by Carleton Mitchell, and the paragragh relative to this thread reads as follows:

"Shifting to the manufacture of larger yachts when he formed The Bertram International Company did nothing to slow Dick down. He won the Charles F. Chapman Trophy for the fastest time non-stop from Miami to New York in his luxurious 56 foot Bertram International Cruiser, Envoy. In 1970 he replaced her with his present Envoy, a 63 foot Bertram International, which he cruises in the Bahamas when time permits."

Maybe someone can shed more light on the topic, but I'm thinking the BI concept had a quiet demise, as I have never heard much about them.

Tommy
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the history lesson everyone.
He won the Charles F. Chapman Trophy for the fastest time non-stop from Miami to New York in his luxurious 56 foot Bertram International Cruiser, Envoy

Who knew there was a trophy for that? It is a long way to run non-stop.

Peter
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Had to make fuel stops.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Well look at that I have my foot in my mouth again!
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

There was a Bertram International motor yacht at the Deep Sea Club back in the 70's. The far east plywood used in the superstructure delaminated causing mellon sized blisters on the house sides and bridge. The owner first tried to grind and fill them only to realize that for each one he fixed, two more appeared. So much for quality.
Harry
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Our Dear Leader has doubled down on Green Energy, no fuel stops.

UV