Hatches and gutters

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

Hatches and gutters

Post by JP Dalik »

Need to find custom deck gutters and hatches. We have a good fiberglass deck, just want to put fish box size hatches in with good gutters. Three total. Two for the sides and 1 for the lazerette. Anybody done this or know of someone that will make them.

Thanks
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
neil

Post by neil »

jp try frankie at fiberglass plus he is in the last building at aronlds good luck
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Jp: I made mine out of 1x4 fir epoxied to the bottom of the deck so that it extended about 2" under the hatch. I used a bowl routing bit which has a flat bottom with radiused edges and a top bearing to rout the gutter using the inside of the hatch cutout as a guide. I epoxied and faired 3/4" pvc pipe nipples in holes drilled in the corners for drains and tied them all together out the transom. The gutters were epoxied and awlgripped. It worked out well, but if I were you I would go with 1/2 thicker lips so that the gutters could be deeper.

Here is the bit. You can add a bigger bearing and make a second pass if you want a wider gutter. http://eagleamerica.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_144%2D1202

My hatches are 5/8 fir plywood covered in epoxy and cloth, with 1x2 fir stiffeners epoxied on edge around the bottom just inside where the gutters end. Both the deck and the hatch are trimmed with the Taco aluminum hatch trim. My big hatches are hinged with gas struts and Taco Stainless Latches.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Do you have any pictures of you hatches and drain system
?
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
ScottD

Hatches & Drains

Post by ScottD »

I can't find it anymore, but I am sure Capt. Pat used to offer a hatch kit. I'm sure he will offer up, maybe the demand was to low. By the way if your not watching the SEC Championship now, your missing out.

Scott
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I don't have any high quality pic right now, but I'll see what I can do shortly.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Geaux Deep

Gutters

Post by Geaux Deep »

Rawleigh

I would also be interested in the gutter pictures. I need to replace a few myself. - RH