how fast can you go offshore

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

how fast can you go offshore

Post by bob lico »

usual conversation at mariner "hey bob how fast can that bertram go?"the boat will go about 34knt. but i never exceed 25knts."why" thats why-----------------

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Uh oh, what happened?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
captbone

Post by captbone »

Being that high up on the bow, the must be operator issue.

Channel Marker/Buoy?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

No paint scuff marks. Not torn or really cut.. mostly "blunt force trama".

The horizontal line makes me think the end of a float or finger pier? A large branch of a tree floating in the water? A partially submerged boat?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Marker.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you got it brewster!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

From the looks of it a green lighted bouy.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i know it was green but not sure if it was lit. hit at 45mph .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Isn't that what supposidly sunk that 60 ft Bertram in SC. A marker. I guess this shows they can do damage.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

What boat was that? Doesn't look like solid laminate.

Should buff out!! LOL!

Ian.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

ianupton wrote:Should buff out!! LOL!
Ian.
Nah. I think this one's gonna take a little bondo to fix......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Tony...

The 62' (I believe it was a 62, but it might have been larger) Bertram that sank in SC earlier this summer was supposedly the victim of a collision with a "high flyer" type buoy with a radar reflector on it, but there is a strong argument that there was no collision with anything and she delaminated on her own due to design and construction details. I believe there have been at least two such failures with the same model in the last year or so.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bob,
Looks like a hull from one of the Jupiter boats, or another big center console . Operator error no doubt.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Tony Meola wrote:Isn't that what supposidly sunk that 60 ft Bertram in SC. A marker. I guess this shows they can do damage.
this is that exact marker that was the patsy for the sinking

Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

get at least 2 a year people hitting buoys, from pleasure boats to "top tier" CCs

lesser boats dont take the hit so well, everything shifts around cracking inner liners and the bulkheads fail and the other side of the boat cracks as well

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

On the Rappahannock River in the last year where Rawleigh and I are we have had two boats hit markers at high speed in the dark which resulted in fatalities. Alcohol in both cases was involved. Surprise, Surprise!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mr Lico wrote:how fast can you go offshore

As fast as the seas and your pocket book will let you......trick here is watch where your going! ! ! !

I guess its pretty hard to see when your looking thru the bottom of a Bud Light can...LOL! ! !

Now with things below the waterline....that's another story! ! !

hb
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

By the way, Ray, that's a very impressive looking repair.....good work

hb
hb
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I wonder if he didn't have his headlights on -- that might be why he didn't see it?

The last boat I saw that looked that that came back to the dock and the Capt said that damned Green buoy was below the tide and popped up outta know where! His grandson, about age 6, said, Grandpa was getting a beer out of the cooler and the autopilot was on.....kids say the damndest things!
captbone

Post by captbone »

Its very hard for some people to say that they screwed up or werent paying attention. This CC strike looks like the perfect case of that. When you see damage like that you will get one of two stories "I screwed up" or "the darn thing jumped out in front of me and it wasnt my fault".
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

More of these accidents are Autopilot caused. Never leave it unattended unless going very slow (land a fish, etc). At 30 knots, you're asking for trouble that will be hard to explain away.
Peter

Post by Peter »

The other side of this tale is to watch out for other vessles running on autopilot in reduced visability. Particularly when running courses between buoys or in a thuroughfare. Don't assume they are keeping watch or will avoid or give way to you when they should! Iv'e seen more than a couple of big boats zoom past me in the fog apparently totally unaware I was there. Must be those darn Bud Light beer cans... should make a policy they have to use bottles!

Peter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the boat was a 29' everglades and he was coming home in the dark with radar but going to fast and hit a unlit green buoy .nobody was hurt and we cannot repair boat at this time due to the fact the entire "e" dock was totally destroyed during hurricane, we have a entire dockbuilding setup with mini tug with cranebarge. bossman loves to play with escavator removing poles and a cranebarge jetting in new ones.yardmen put 500 boats in the water working all night with portable huge duel lights on trailer.they hire 20 men for the yard/ carpentry work and the only lucky guys not braking there backs are the outboard mechanics ----blown outdrives mainly.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

I run as fast as I can see...and have time to stop the boat.

Sometimes with a nice moon behind me I may make it to a plane and others its moving along at trolling speed.

Call me a wimp, but I'd rather take my time moving along at 5-6mph enjoying a nice boat ride, then patching up a hole, reworking a bent drive-train or night swimming.
In Memory Walter K

I went out of Montauk harbor this morning. Ran to outer Shagwong bouy to see if we could catch some bait. Wow! Trees, logs, blocks of wood, plywood sheets running with the tide. Decided to get out of there, ran sloooowly to the lighthouse and around to the south side, where I found even bigger poles, logs and trees. In all my years out here I have never seen anything like it in these waters, yet there are boats running through at 20+ knots.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It's a small freakin world. I just about had a Lico family reunion today.

Bob, we saw your daughter and chris down at the marina this morning, they werent headed out had a block party back at the house today. We went over to sailors haven. Grabbed the last free slip about 4 slips away from Phoenix, chatted with your son throughout the day. I forgot his wifes name please remind me. They decided to stay the night again if you haven't heard.

Who knows maybe we'll see the grand kids at church in the morning. All to strange.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

anthony`s wife is wendy and there son is gavin, he is the next owner of phoenix so it will be around for two generations. a slip at sailors haven labor day weekend !! you best play lottery!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

walter....try running over to fishers island. there will be a "weed line" of trees and construction debris that will be impenetrable.
In Memory Walter K

Randall- Based on what I saw (and almost ran into) running over 15 kts is looking for trouble. I don't know what people without a bridge do in this kind of situation, pray? Half of this stuff is not visible unless you're up high. The seagulls I thought were sitting on the water were standing on 4x8 sheets of plywood.
Last edited by In Memory Walter K on Sep 4th, '11, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Visabilty is a big issue with all these express boats today. Ya they usally have a tower for fishing but most don't run the boat from there. We had a 43' Viking express moving the boat back to Va for the whitmarlin bit from Hatteras hit somthing and went down in less than 10 min.
Got to keep you eyes on the water.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Think I said posted this before, but my Granddaddy said, "Never approach anything faster than you want to hit it." Now if the visibility is limited . . .
We had a friend who loved to come into his slip pretty fast and slam her into reverse and lay on the throttle to stop. Saw the last time when the gear cable broke and,
it wasn't pretty.
Confucius say, "Man learns by mistakes. Smart man learns by mistakes of others."
Happy Labor Day, Faithful!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Dug

Post by Dug »

A log came up on the beach just down from our house yesterday. It was 20+ feet long and a solid 15-20 inches thick.

It had impact marks all down it from some lucky fellow who will probably be buying a new propellor this week. Or more.

I took it pretty easy this weekend. I was content to let the boat sit in her

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

All that wood in the water really brings back memories of what it used to be like around here...
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

There is a lot more than lumber to worry about -- a safe washed up on the beach in Milford, CT over the weekend -- now that would leave a mark if is was standing on end a foot below the surface!
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Here is a picture I got of the flow out of the Ct river.

Pretty cool defined line.

This weekend heard about a car that made it out and was floating around for a while. Do know one guy had to stop turn around and go back some to get around a debris field.

Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
randall

Post by randall »

dan...after one of the hurricanes i had to run a few miles along the trashline to get out of the block island sound. you could build a town with what was out there.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Looks like a mini Amazon!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

sim wrote:I run as fast as I can see...and have time to stop the boat.

Sometimes with a nice moon behind me I may make it to a plane and others its moving along at trolling speed.

Call me a wimp, but I'd rather take my time moving along at 5-6mph enjoying a nice boat ride, then patching up a hole, reworking a bent drive-train or night swimming.
Sim

I am with you. If it is dark, run fast enough to just push this stuff out of our way. Bad enough hitting things during the day, but at night forget it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

not a wimp tony those unlit buoy`s can cause tremendous damage and rather common to follow a gps bread crumb trail back to slip on fogged night or no outside light that is why i try to leave 75' or so off buoy so i can stay on highlighted trail and verify my heading on radar picking up buoy`s as i approach them lit or not. this still don`t help me from hitting a 20' pole floating level with water. what in Gods name do you need with a 60mph triple 350hp cc inching back home in the fog at 5mph , the tendency is to speed with those kind of boat and you look like photo #1.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:not a wimp tony those unlit buoy`s can cause tremendous damage and rather common to follow a gps bread crumb trail back to slip on fogged night or no outside light that is why i try to leave 75' or so off buoy so i can stay on highlighted trail and verify my heading on radar picking up buoy`s as i approach them lit or not. this still don`t help me from hitting a 20' pole floating level with water. what in Gods name do you need with a 60mph triple 350hp cc inching back home in the fog at 5mph , the tendency is to speed with those kind of boat and you look like photo #1.
Triple 350's hang'in off the back of your boat is not so you can inch home in the dark or Fog...they are there so you can get in Before the Fog Rolls In or it gets dark. Once dark, it's like a Ferrari on Ice.

Bread trails are great...but doesn't the government still dum down the GPS Accuracy from time to time...or is that all in the past.

I will agree that you may not see that 20' pole floating level with the water during the day...but during the day you have a much better chance of picking up on the Pole Peaking its Head up for a Split Second as a Ripple Nudges it ever so slightly.
Also during the day you stand a better chance of catching a brief glimpse of an "Up and Downer", that pole floating on end, bobbing up briefly every few seconds, then disappearing.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Just been through the government sleight of hand trick with stuff floating on our creek. Called the Marine Police, Corp of Engineers, etc. because there are pieces of an old dock (newly replaced) floating down Carter Creek. I was concerned for the idiots on jet skis hitting that stuff at high speed. You'd think after all I've been through with jet skis I would sit on the dock with a poke of beer and score card. Anyway all I wanted was someone to come up here and seek the owner of the flotsam and ask them to remove it. I have retrieved the biggest pieces I can without causing bodily injury so . . .
Got to get my scorecard and pack the cooler.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
captbone

Post by captbone »

sim wrote: Triple 350's hang'in off the back of your boat is not so you can inch home in the dark or Fog...they are there so you can get in Before the Fog Rolls In or it gets dark. Once dark, it's like a Ferrari on Ice.

Bread trails are great...but doesn't the government still dum down the GPS Accuracy from time to time...or is that all in the past.

I will agree that you may not see that 20' pole floating level with the water during the day...but during the day you have a much better chance of picking up on the Pole Peaking its Head up for a Split Second as a Ripple Nudges it ever so slightly.
Also during the day you stand a better chance of catching a brief glimpse of an "Up and Downer", that pole floating on end, bobbing up briefly every few seconds, then disappearing.
Exactly. The triple 350s allow you to leave the dock at 9am if it is pea soup at 5am. The extra speed in good weather can help increase your window.
In Memory Walter K

Another week has passed (that makes it two) and if you run your boat faster than 12-15 kts anywhere between Gardners Island and Montauk Point, you are nuts. Not that there aren't boats running 30+, but the waters are still full of trees, telephone poles and sheets of plywood. Be forewarned.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Walter K wrote:Another week has passed (that makes it two) and if you run your boat faster than 12-15 kts anywhere between Gardners Island and Montauk Point, you are nuts. Not that there aren't boats running 30+, but the waters are still full of trees, telephone poles and sheets of plywood. Be forewarned.
But just like days when its 6+ft offshore, these days are not the norm.

Normally (90%) of the time, you would be able to run fast safely and without issue.
In Memory Walter K

I have been fishing these waters since 1957. Thirteen consecutive days of floating and sub surface running gear wipeout rubble is not, and has never been the norm here. My boat has been tied at it's slip through every Hurricane since 1969. This post hurricane condition is by far the worst I have ever seen. Some blame it on the Connecticut river flush-out, but whatever it is, vhf chatter sounds more like trucker CB chatter warning each other of things in the road...every one of those thirteen days.
captbone

Post by captbone »

I agree. The past two weeks have been out of the normal. Normally you could run fast. Days when you can not run fast are abnormal.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I thought I had seen a lot of stuff in the water, but today I passed a round bale floating in fishers island sound. No cows underneath. It was huge.

Must have come from vermont, down the CT river. Amazing... And every high tide keeps it dangerous!

Dug
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Dug wrote:I thought I had seen a lot of stuff in the water, but today I passed a round bale floating in fishers island sound. Dug
you sure that bale was hay ?? you were looking for a cow .... you didn't see the smuggler treading water behind it !! :-D
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

today a bulkhead pile more then 8' long encrusted with 50 years of growth floating upright maybe 2" above the surface invisible between waves. we were going slow and turn about 6' in front of it----wow would be like hitting a mine!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473