New B31 owner

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Michael

New B31 owner

Post by Michael »

Hello all. Have been signed up here for some time now, but really have only been a lurker as I did not own a B31. Well that has changed as I just got one last week. Power is twin 250hp Cummins and used to belong to fellow member on here who goes by "Bermuda brother" (JJ). So yes I am in Bermuda also.
Boat is a runner, but does need some TLC and some upgrades which I plan to do over the next year. For now I will just do the essentials and use it.
I am not new to Bertrams however as I now own 3. I have a 1967 20' Sportsman, a 1962 25' hardtop and now the a 1970 31'FBC.
The 25 has been in the family since 1970 and I have literally grown up on that thing.
And just so you can see what sort of boat nut I am, I also have 5 Boston Whalers, 9' tender, 11' sport, 2 15' Sports and a 17' plus a Allison race boat and a bunch of other small boats, kayaks etc.

I have always been impressed with the people on this site, and how freely they give advise and help with parts, a welcome relief from the real world.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

WELCOME !!!! Good to see someone that enjoy boats that much.
1965/2007 Bertram 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Congrats, Michael, glad to finally meet you. Dr. JJ has been one of the Faithful for years and is a great guy. You obviously have very good taste in boats!

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Welcome Michael!!!! Great boat!
John F.

Post by John F. »

Welcome and you have great boats. Of course we love to see pictures. Its amazing how many Bertram owners also have Whalers.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
randall

Post by randall »

yep...you have undoubtedly great taste in boats. welcome aboard.

lets see photos.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Welcome. Does JJ still have a B31? I sent him some fuel tank parts a couple of years ago. They may be on your boat!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I like the long list, you make me feel better about owning too many boats!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Luckily I can only afford one boat. Welcome to the club. Everyone is here to help.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Welcome aboard! With that many boats, we'll learn plenty from you! Walter
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Welcome to the sandbox...that is a fine collection of Bertrams you have..There is an old 25 hardtop near my Dads boat and I love the simple looks and wide beam..post some pics..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks for the welcome. Can't post pics as I have not signed up for any hosting site such as photobucket - gotta do that when I get a chance.
Yes, I know JJ and yes he still has a B31. This one was just his interim one until he rebuilt the one he has now. He also has a B25 hardtop like mine.
My B31 seems to have gone through some transitions over the years. Model # is 312 which I believe makes it a open model, yet I see no indication of there being a lower helm. Also I do not think the open would had had side windows. So was the top added later?
Also the flybridge is not standard Bertram, in fact it is not Bertram at all. Came off some other brand of boat, not sure which. Does not look as good as the Bertram one, but it is more functional in that it is wider and allows a bench seat to fit up there and hold 3 people. JJ has the correc tbridge for it but never installed it - I need to go collect it from him and potentially swap bridges as a winter project, that is assuming I want to.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Michael,

Congrats and welcome aboard. The description you gave of your fly bridge has me really curious about how your boat looks. You gotta figure out how to post pictures and put some up. I have a 1978 31 that started life as an open bulkhead Sportfisherman model that someone added a bulkhead to at some point. You should check out the recent thread about flybridge seating. I have a bench seat on my boat that seats 3.

I have very fond memories of fishing in Bermuda I fished Challenger Bank with Capt. Alan Card and his son in May about 10 years ago and had one of the best trips of my life. We ended up with 12 wahoo averaging 70 pounds (the largest was 120 lbs.) 5 bull dolphin and a 600 lb. blue marlin. What a day. Is that the area you fish there.

JR
Michael

Post by Michael »

I haven't even taken any pictures of the new to me B31. As I have yet to sign up for photoshop/other host site, I can't post pictures here. If some one wants to do it for me, shoot me any email address and I will take some pictures and email them to you to post.
My email addresses are:

boataddict AT hotmail DOT com
or
michaela AT colonial DOT bm
Michael

Post by Michael »

Test of posting pictures. If it works, it will be of my B25 as Thise are the only pictures I have at work.
http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... C00972.jpg
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

How is this? Just clik on the bottom one in Photobucket where it says img code & then paste it here. Real nice boat for your collection.
Al

NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Welcome ..... and with my fleet, I thought I was bad !! :-D
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sounds like you have quite a collection . feel free to ask any question that comes to mind about your 31bertram. one of us can answer you question in depth so now your with a band of brothers!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Michael is that your 25 with the single 350 in it? I bet the guys here would love to hear your performance and economy numbers on it. Good to see you on this board and to hear that you've got a 31.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Rocket,
Yes the baby blue B25 hardtop is mine and has been converted to a single engine which is a SBC with fuel injection. 320hp married to a volvo duoprop. WOT with clean bottom is between 39.5 and 40 knots.
A 3000rpm cruise speed is about 27knots. No idea on fuel burn but I am happy with it.
Only issue if you could call it that is that the boat is too light.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Michael -

"Gemini" looks to have been cleaned up since the last pictures that I saw of her.

Very sharp!

Ian.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Ian,
Yes I slapped some paint on her while the engine was out. Started out just doing the blue on the sides which lead to doing the decks and cockpit....
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Michael,
Looking at the posted pictures of the hull bottom on your 31 I have a few suggestions. 1st Welcome to the sandbox.
2nd. Before you put her back in the water, I'd check the condition of the rudder bolts and flanges, they look pretty corroded. Also check the cutlass bearings and struts from the pictures, it looks like there is a chunk out of the bronze strut barrel. Just a few things to check, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61