electric fuel pump issue

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Raybo Marine NY

electric fuel pump issue

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I am out of ideas on this one.
I have a aircraft tug, gas powered.
We got it with a electric pump already in it, we go through a pump a year, sometimes more often

I have tried Airex, Carter, and Mr Gasket

I originally thought it was because we would run out of gas, but we have not been doing that anymore.
I put the fuel through a 10 micron spin on filter, and it has the little filter on the pump itself.
Only thing I can think of is that we sometimes will burn up gas that we remove from tanks we are changing, sometimes this fuel is not that great.

I just burned out another one, and it happens without warning. Getting tired of it and I am out of ideas, also tried a different power source, same thing happens.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Could it be too much head (suction) pressure on it from the filters? Try putting the finer filter on the pressure side.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
coolair

Post by coolair »

raybo
you talking about those little 12v pumps handing on the shelf at the auto parts? kinda square looking? i dont think they are designed for real serious duty
what engine is in it?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Check with Allen Machine Co - they advertise in Boats & Harbors and have always carried surplus military electric fuel pumps, 12 & 24 volt. I don't see the fuel pumps in their current ads in B&H but they probably still have 'em - heavy duty and cheap. 800 451 8899...nice folks too.

UV
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Positive displacement type or centrifical? When you say burnt out do you mean the motor stops or the motor runs but no fuel output? Overheating is one reason I was told, the fuel cools the pump side and if not enough will overheat. I have countless hours on Walbro FRB-13-2 recipricating pumps as they shut off when pressure is developed on output side.(Say the floats are close to closing/idling engine) and that prevents overheating them Walbro says. www.go2marine.com has them I believe.
Raybo Marine NY

thanks everyone

engine is a Chrysler flathead 6

current one is a Mr Gasket pump. Its not like I am running all day with it either, few minutes here and there, maybe 1/2 hour at most.
Sometimes it goes days without running.

Feeds a single barrel carb. I just put another one in and moved it back by the tank so its only sucking 8" or so then it pushes another 3-4', supposed to be more efficient at pushing then pulling so I will see how long this one lasts.
I have it on a switched power source that is fused.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

My old 454's has Carter fuel pumps. The starboard pump gave me trouble several times.....it was like it lost prime. I would remove the fuel line and suck gas (YUK! ! ) thru the pump up to the carb, then we would be off and running until I let it idle,like trolling, for a while.

A mechanic buddy pointed out that these systems do not have a return line, therefore the pump is pumping dead aganist a nearly closed valve when the engine is running at idle.

He cured the problem by installing a valve in the line going to the carb and running a return back to the tank.

I had to complicate it a little more....so I went to Summit Racing and purchased a BYPASS type fuel pressure regulator and install it on my engines. Using a fuel pressure gage I set the regulator to hold 3 PSI at full throttle. It ran good........

Then from there I pulled the gas engines out and installed diesels.

I may have plans for the old gas engines.....but that is another story.

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry my thoughts exactly, built a big block with an electric fuel pump I had to install a pressure regulator to "feed" just enough to the carb as well as a return so the pump wouldnt dead head. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Raybo Marine NY

I had a regulator at one time ( its still in the engine compartment) and it still has the return line to the tank hooked up, I found I would have to pinch the line to get it to start sometime, maybe I needed to tweak the pressure a bit so I gave up on it.

Maybe I will try hooking it up again, its all there so its real simple to

when it runs its running just kind of off-idle, just moving boats around the yard
coolair

Post by coolair »

why not just put the stock fuel pump back on it???
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Raybo Marine NY

coolair wrote:why not just put the stock fuel pump back on it???
good question- it never had one since we got it about 10 years ago.
I dont know if the original pump went bad or if whatever drives the pump wore out, maybe I will look into it but sometimes you leave well enough alone on something that old, its a 1957
RussP

Post by RussP »

1957 a verry good year!!!!

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Raybo Marine NY

I had to go in today for a bit so I looked and as I thought the original mechanical pump is still there, so I will try to get one from the auto parts store next week, if there is no rod in there or its worn out maybe I can get one of those too
coolair

Post by coolair »

Went to oreilly auto parts and put in chyrsler and it shows a little electric pump, but its different than the mr. gasket pumps

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0025
you have been using something like this right?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0128
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Raybo Marine NY

coolair wrote:Went to oreilly auto parts and put in chyrsler and it shows a little electric pump, but its different than the mr. gasket pumps

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0025
you have been using something like this right?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0128
I have tried both of those pumps