Lees vs. Rupp Outriggers?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Lees vs. Rupp Outriggers?

Post by SteveM »

I know this may be like Cummins vs. Yanmar thread. But it may be interesting to hear some of your feedback.

I would like to get outriggers for the new boat. It has never had anything mounted and being the purist that I am I don't want to muck it up. My previous boat had Rupps which worked well, however they were mounted above on the tower.

I have noticed what looks like Lees on the boats at Tropic Star and on the old brochures.

I would like to mount them on the gunwale. And I would like to maintain a classic look of the boat. Single spreaders should do me just fine. And when I'm not fishing I would like to take them off the boat and store them away to keep them nice. So complete removal is a factor as well.

So what is everyone's favorite and why? Lees or Rupps?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
opunui

Post by opunui »

Steve, I have the Lee's tournament riggers on mine with fiberglass removable riggers they work fine for me.I can just take them out of the holders when i put her on the trailer for maintenance and so on.

Aloha, BobbyImage[/url]
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
Carl

Post by Carl »

It's been awhile...but the last time I checked Schaefer was as good or better and priced less...love the black widows.

Aside from that, I think they are all quality built and it becomes more of a choice as to your personal preference.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks Bobby, that's a very nice looking installation...and boat!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have the Lee double spreaders. I like them. I pull three on each one. They are huge. Not easy to take off. Very heavy. They have held up well. Maybe not the best for you.
randall

Post by randall »

maybe mike o will chime in....his are two piece, internal line, completely clean and swivel base mounted. come off and fold away in the cabin in a minute and they work just fine. but i cant remember the manufacture.
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Same quality, Lee's are cheaper to work on. Rupp's delrin bushing kit sells for around $35.00 alone and I have never been able to find the correct size bushings anywhere else even through McMaster Carr. Both lay-out arms SUCK and will normally jump in a heavy beaming seas. You can file down the elbow and create a reverse angle or just buy the Schaefer locking latch which completely eliminates the riggers slamming in a rough beaming sea.
Cunado

Post by Cunado »

I have rupp single spreader outriggers and have had no issues in using them, however when I first received the boat and went to reinstall the outriggers, figuring which way the lay-out arms went was like a chinese puzzle, and I remember thinking, "I'm glad I don't have to take these on and off all the time." If you are wanting so remove them, I would defenitely go with something like Bobby has. Nice boat Bobby!

Brad
1972 Bertram 28 FBC