Wanted: Bertram 28 with few warts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd

Wanted: Bertram 28 with few warts

Post by Todd »

Hello. First time posting here. I've read through many posts and have decided on buying a Bertram 28. I'd love a 31, but its not within my means. Maybe someday, but for now I will have to live with the second best boat ever built.

The selection of these boats for sale on west coast is pretty slim pickins. I've only found 3. One was in bad shape and needed a lot of work. The second looked good on paper, but was powered with 305's and seemed a little dopey. I sea trialed it in San Francisco Bay and it only made 15 knots at 3200 rpm. The engine survey indicated that the engines were in good shape. The props on the boat are 16x12, according to the survey, so maybe it was underpropped? I was worried that while the boat would be fine in the bay, it wouldn't perform well in the sea conditions we have up here in Oregon (big swells). We also would be running the boat heavy with ice, gear, and fuel.

The 3rd boat is in Southern California and is powered with 170 hp Yanmars. That also seems like it would be underpowered? Its also more than I can spend right now.

It looks like I may have to fly to the east coast and drive around for a week to find one in good shape.

So, if anyone has a lead on a 28 in turn key condition, Im seriously looking to buy one. Budget is 50-60k.

Thanks!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Todd,
Welcome.
If you can't get at least 4000 rpm out of a set of gassers, then they are seriously over propped or have problems.

The 28 with the 170 Yanmars runs good.
I've repowered the 28 with both the 170 and 240 engines.

There are numerous 28's around for sale. A price range would help.
Sean B

B28 in Melbourne FL

Post by Sean B »

If you want to look at boats in the US about as far away from you as they come, there is a B28 for sale in Melbourne, FL that looks to be in real good shape:
http://www.melbourneharbor.com/forsale/bertram28.html

They're asking 39k and it's got an aluminum fuel tank (it's a gasser). This boat has been for sale now for maybe 8 months, I bet the seller is anxious to unload it by now.

I've heard it costs 4-5k to ship a boat like that on the highway- some of the guys here probably know exactly how much.
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

My marina in Deltaville VA has three for sale. There are a few faithful within a very short driving distance of these. Here is what they have listed (I'm sure the first is wrong, but who knows).

28 ft Bertram 1985 Twin Diesel fishing machine 25K
28 ft Bertram 1972 fly bridge, ready to fish. 25K
28 ft Bertram 1985 T 350's new motors hard top 19K

Call 804.815.1676 and ask for details. I'd be happy to check them over and have my surveyor do some leg work if you wish.

Chiles
Dug

Post by Dug »

Todd,

I am not sure I believe that 50-60 will not enable you to buy a 31. As a matter of fact, just come out and say it, you want a 28, but don't want to say it here...!

For real, not just joshing around anymore, there are multiple Bertram 31's below $50,000 for sale. If you want one, go get one. It will be a gas boat, but depending on how you plan to use it, it doesn't really matter.

As for 28's, you should have your pick of the litter at that price!

Dug
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Looking at the boats Chiles posted, I have to think the one in Mel Harbor must be grossly overpriced, no wonder they can't sell it
Capt Bill

B28

Post by Capt Bill »

I am running a 28 foot 1982 Bertram out of San Francisco. It is moored behind my house on the Napa River. It is one of few factory outboard models that we have modified with a new motor bracket that currently holds three outboards , two 200hp and 1 20hp. Top speeds approach 38 knots. Fuel capacity is about 240 gallons. Has a hard top and half tower. It is set up for fishing and the cabin has been modified to maximize efficiency. In deck live well, two large fish boxes, rocket launcher, and outriggers.
Capt Bill
B28 "Satisfaction"
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Got any pics?
Regards,

Doug L.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Todd,

I run a B28 out of Melbourne, FL... bought it about 1.5 yrs ago. I agree that the one for sale here in the Melb Hbr is priced too high ($39,990). It would be better priced close to $30K or slightly less. Big thing is that it has new (~1 yr old) 350 gassers... guy is trying to get his money back... he's only owned it for ~1 yr and I guess he didn't realize what he was getting into... boat owning.

I would say you could get a B28 in realatively good shape in the $27 - $30K. Expect to pay more depending on the "extras" (Radar, GPS, engine hours, etc...) Also, I found that B28 Desiels were about $15 - $20K more (i.e., ~$55K). While very nice, I couldn't swallow the cost difference.... pays for a lot of gasoline!

I bought my boat after 4,000 miles of driving to look at some real dogs. I eventually decided on one that was ~500 miles from home on the West coast of FL. For what it is worth it was a Michagan boat (fresh water) and was moved to S. FL in May 2004... owner went through 1 FL Hurricane season and decided he didn't want a boat in FL!!!!! I lucked out and got a cream puff!!! I brought mine back through the Okeechobee waterway... cost of fuel for the trip was close to $1,500, so having one shipped via truck a long distance for $4-$5K would not be a bad deal.... you will just need to factor this in your overall costs.

Don't forget about sales tax and registration fees.... it was another 6% here in FL.

Once you buy it, you'll want to budget some $$ to fix/upgrade everything. I recco planning on replacing all maintenance items (belts, hoses, filters, batteries, stuffing boxes, oil change, tune-up, etc...) I spent at least $2K after my purchase to repair/maintain everything so I knew exactly where I was... oh yea... if you buy a boat with a GPS/Chart-plotter, make sure you can still get the maps for your area once you move it.... Garmin no longer supports the older units (pre 2005) and you could end up with a $500 - $1000 GPS unit on your new boat that is only good in an area you will never visit!!!!!! (Voice of experience)

Then you need to get insurance (UV calls them the bookies). Premiums are beginning to be problematic, but you will spend $500 - $1000 or more depending on boat/location/coverage.

In conclusion... Look for one in the $27 - $30K range. Add 6% sales tax, shipping costs, insurance and initial maintenance and you'll be in the $31 - $35K region in out of pocket and ready to roll.

If you want, I can help find one here in S. FL.... there are several for sale and I have looked at most of them. Most stay on the market for 6-18 months before they sell.... ones in good shape that are turn key don't sit for more than 6 months.

Paul J.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Capt Bill,
We have an original factory OB 28 that we put Honda's on a few years back at the marina. It runs good.
Bruce
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thanks for all the responses! I certainly appreciate the helpful information.

I really do want a 31, but I regularly run 50 miles offshore and I thought the fuel consumption would kill me. Maybe I am misinformed and the big blocks in the 31 burn about the same as the small blocks in the 28? A 31 with diesels is more than I can afford right now. One other reason is that Im afraid the 31 is too much boat for me to handle. I just sold a 24 foot sterndrive and even the 28 has me intimidated. Its a lot more boat then I am used to. The 31, frankly, scares me with its size.

I have looked at 2 so far and the first one had a rats nest for wiring. I couldn't make heads or tails of what they had going on. Nothing was labeled. Wires were just hanging and weren't connected to anything. Poor splicing and connections. One engine had 1200 hours (1989) the other was rebuilt in 2004. That looked like a project boat to me and they are asking $44900.

The second one was in better shape. The electronics were junk. But the boat was clean and the wiring looked to be in good shape. With those 305's it was a dog though. Maybe it was the props? Bottom line was, they would not go down in price ($45000). Seems like I could do much better for that amount of money.

What I am looking for is a boat thats ready to go. I dont mind outdated electronics as I can replace those and I know what the upfront cost of doing that is. I want a boat that someone has spent some money on by replacing the old wiring, steering, engines and running gear. I really dont have the time to do this myself and the marina I use has very limited resources.

Next week I am taking the family on vacation so I won't be around. But maybe next month I am seriously considering flying back to the east coast somewhere and renting a car. I am willing to spend a week driving around looking at boats hoping to find a cream puff.

My budget is $60,000 including shipping. That wouldn't leave me much to do anything additional so it would have to be the "perfect" boat. The state I live in doesn't have sales tax which saves some money.

The boat in Melbourne FL looks promising. Here are a few of others:

This one is a little expensive considering the cost to get it here. But maybe they are flexible in the price? This one would have to be perfect since I would not have much left over to put into it, besides minor maintenance items.

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/boat ... 59909&url=

This one has Cummins diesels, but I heard the 4bta250's had problems? Injector tips falling off? Its fairly inexpensive for a diesel so I am skeptical.

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/boat ... earchtype=

This one is over budget, but with new Yanmar 170's. How would this boat compare to the performance of the 305's? I'm not looking to break any speed records, but 15-16 knots cruise is too slow. 20-25 knots is just fine though. Actually its not the speed so much as the response and the ability to run in heavy seas without laboring. The boat will be loaded down to the hilt with ice, gear, fuel, and people. I really don't want something underpowered especially at that price. I'd rather buy the gas and have the power I need.

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/boat ... =5386&url=

Thanks again for the help. I will take a look at the suggestions and start preparing a list of potential boats to see when I make the trip.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Todd, let me be your guide. The B28 is a nice boat, but butt ugly, thus its name "the Hyena Boat". The Bertram 31 is the best boat ever built, to this day. A slap dab beautiful boat. Don't be scared of its size, it handles like a dream. With the wide apart props, you can manuver it with two fingers into a slip an inch wider than the boat.

This site reveres Bertram 31s, and we tolerate, with good humor, the other Bertrams, all good boats. But if your budget is 60K, just bite the bullet and buy a B31 and smile, then grin, when you realize what you have. I'm gonna send you a pix of my Another Joy I took today after she's been spruced up after her terrible Katrina experience.

Please take my comments as good advice, not in any way a put down, but the Bertram 31 is where the value and pride of ownership really is....

Yo Fren'

UV
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Todd

I had a 1976 b28 for 4 years that we rebuilt and repowered but I sold it a year and a half ago. If I had bought a 31 I would still own it. I bought the 28 for $28000 and over the course of several years dropped another $35K or so bringing her back to life. In your price range you should be able to find a decent 31 and have what you want. I half to admit that I got a lot of people stopping by the dock and checking her out but nothing like the 31 across the dock from me. The 31 just has great lines.

Jon
Todd

Post by Todd »

Damn, I thought I had decided against the 31 and now I am thinking about it again. They are gorgeous!

Whats the fuel consumption on the 454's?

Not nearly as many for sale, particularly for less than 60k. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of any of those listed on Yachtworld, Traderonline?

Thanks, Todd
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I really do want a 31, but I regularly run 50 miles offshore and I thought the fuel consumption would kill me. Maybe I am misinformed and the big blocks in the 31 burn about the same as the small blocks in the 28?

Big blocks are no way to run 50 miles off shore in a 31. You'll be looking at 190 gallons per trip.

I have looked at 2 so far and the first one had a rats nest for wiring. I couldn't make heads or tails of what they had going on. Nothing was labeled.

Until they're rewired, they all look like that.

That looked like a project boat to me and they are asking $44900.

That's what a 'project' gas boat costs.

With those 305's it was a dog though. Maybe it was the props?

No....the 31 is a dog with 305's. The same is true for the 31 with Yanmar 170's.

My budget is $60,000 including shipping.

Should get you a nice gas boat, or a project diesel boat.

This one has Cummins diesels, but I heard the 4bta250's had problems? Injector tips falling off? Its fairly inexpensive for a diesel so I am skeptical.

That can be fixed. Don't be scared of the small Cummins.

This one is over budget, but with new Yanmar 170's. How would this boat compare to the performance of the 305's? I'm not looking to break any speed records, but 15-16 knots cruise is too slow. 20-25 knots is just fine though.

See above.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The 31 is the only way to go! In the long run you will be proud of your boat instead of being unhappy with the 28.Have had my 31 for 11 years she is a 66 and it will never ever be for sale as long as my heart beats and it sure makes it beat. People tell me their boats just as good but the truth is their not even close!
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Todd,

When I lived in Alaska for thirty some years I ran a number of boats out of Katchimak Bay at Homer, Alaska and Resurrection Bay at Seward, Alaska into the Gulf of Alaska during the summer fishing for 7 species of Salmon, Snapper, Ling Cod and Halibut. Boating in the Gulf of Alaska was often times an adventure even for the most experienced. During that time I ran a B31 diesel, a B28 gasser, an old nameless iron boat that was a diesel, and several aluminum boats with twin outboards on them and even a Bayliner. I always enjoyed the B28 the most. I didn’t even mind that it was 3 feet shorter or 2 inches narrower than the 31. The cockpit deck always seemed larger and I guess it was the lack of the engine covers that made it that way, but it was always a much dryer boat, and rode better which was important to me then. The inside of the cabin/salon was about the same, just rearranged a little differently. It was a fishing machine. The gulf was seldom flat and a quick storm or heavy winds could pop up at any time and the Bertram boats performed better than any other boat in its size range.

I now live in SW Florida and I bought an 83 B28 a year ago March for 37K. The former owners had re-powered her with Mercruiser Horizon 300HP gassers that, according to the ECMs’, had less than 350 hours on them. She wasn’t up to my standards and needed some work above deck. Below deck needed some swabbing out and a paint job and I replaced all the clamps with double T bolt stainless. The deck had alloy screw and not stainless, it needed all new cockpit panels and a new door. I replaced the Lectrasan and rewired everything and tore out all unused and ancient wiring that wasn’t replaced with the new engine harness. The inside was in good shape, but she needed a new fridge and some of the drawers need the pulls replaced and new curtains. A little penetrol on the paneling and Formica made it look like it just came off the line. It still needs some upholstery to change the appearance and I did refinish the inside teak and repainted the aluminum window frames.

On the outside, I removed all the unused screws and hardware off the deck and bridge and filled and faired the holes and re-painted with gel coat to match. I built a bow sprit out of Purple Heart for the windlass that turned out beautiful. She still needs a genset to power the AC and keep the 4 batteries charged.

Two weeks ago, I took her on the longest trip of 130 NM and burned 110 gallons of the 190 on board. I run her at 2900 RPM and get 20 to 21kts.

If I were in your shoes, I would find a decent one of each the 31 and 28 and take them out and run them. I wouldn’t rule out either one until you do a test run. Size may intimidate you for a while. I remember when I ran a friends 45 foot charter boat out of Prince William sound. I was pretty intimidated, but when we got back to Valdez from our hunting and fishing trip, I felt like a pro.

I know this is a B31 BBS and it is probably a little biased, but run a few and make up your mind. By the way, there are a few good looking 28s’ here in SW Florida. A couple nice ones are across the river from me in Fort Myers.

Good luck

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Todd

Just came across this boat on Ebay. She was rebuilt back in 2004 and is a very good looking B28. She is located here in MA and I believe the boat was at the last NE get together.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BERTRAM- ... 0167QQrdZ1
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I think if you shop hard and are in no hurry, the right boat will come to you. Decent examples of gas B28's - ready to fish in two weeks or less - are around. The gas prices are going to get some fence sitters to sell. Further, gassers are simply not moving at the brokers.

Bear in mind the whole ethy issue if you go gas.

The length difference between the two hulls is on the order of 2.5 feet. The B28 actually sits higher in the water, and has a higher fly bridge. Basically, if you can run a B28, you can run a B31. I think - normally - they are easier to run than twin outboard center consoles in the 25 foot range.

The issue when I was in the market was the relative high price (relative to a B28) placed on the B31 hulls. Thus, my local market for B31's was absolute projects for not really bargain prices or gems with little in between.

Decent 305's should push a B28 in the 18 to 19 knot cruise range, depending on loading and conditions.

25 knot cruise is a dream. With gas, I could do it but the fuel burn was huge. Secondaries openned up and the gassers started to eat. With diesel, its do able but really pushing the envelope.

Assuming no ethy issue - the diesel/gas question becomes primarily one of range (with a slight nod to safety). Of course, for the money end, its up front cost vs. pay as you go.

The whole looks good, people I don't know at the dock like the boat, or cult status thing is just that. Nothing more. It don't put fish in the boat, it don't get you home in a storm, and women that will sleep with you cause you own a 30 year old B31 are rarely bragging material.

If money is not an issue, of course, I would own a B31. Then again, if money were not an issue, I would likely not own a boat and be living semi full time at the Tropic Star Lodge.
In Memory of Vicroy

I'm usually pretty tolorant of the Heyena boat guys, but this has to stop. The B28 remains butt ugly. The B31 is the best looking boat ever built, bar none. It has lines, it has lines, it has lines. I do not want to offend anyone, but the B28 is an ugly boat. Looks like a hyena dragging its butt on the ground. On the other hand the B31 glides thru the water, turning heads by its sheer beauty.

Yo Fren'

UV
Todd

Post by Todd »

No doubt the 31 has beautiful lines. The 28 is more utility looking I guess. Not ugly by any means, but it just doesn't have the soft, sweeping profile of the 31.

Since I wont be able to repower any time soon, I would have to live with the 454's for several years. I've read that the 28 gets about 1mpg on average. What can I expect from the 454's in a 31?

I think I will take Dicks advice and sea trial a 31. I was very impressed with the ride of the 28. If the 31 rides and handles as well, I guess I may as well bite the bullet and spend my money on the boat I really want. If it doesn't, ride quality is more important to me than looks. I plan to really use the boat, and here in the Pacific NW, the ocean is cold and can get pretty snotty. So I definitely wont be happy with a good looking boat that isn't suited to these types of conditions.

Thanks again for the insight and advice. You guys are great!

By the way, I will keep an eye on that ebay link. Other than having 302's, it looks like a very nice boat (in its own "ugly" sort of way) :)

Thanks Guys.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

If you regularly run 50 miles out that indicates (to me anyway) a serious advantage tor diesel power. I'm thinking you could find a solid East or Gulf Coast B28 w/ diesel power and have it shipped to you while staying within budget. But the savings don't end there, consider this:

(Assume a gasser at 20 gph and diesel at 10 gph)

100 mile round trip = 4 hour run
4 hrs x 10 gallons saved / hour x $4 = $160 trip
plus diesel savings on the fuel used:
40 gallons x $1 cheaper = $40
Total savings per trip is $200 / trip

The B31 is a beautiful boat, but the B28 make sense for a lot of people, its production numbers attest to that fact. I chose a B28 with diesel power because it was within my means to buy, operate and maintain. And that allows me relax and worry about finding fish. :wink:
JK

Post by JK »

Just noticed this 28 advertised on www.tidalfish.com

1971 -28' Bertram Viewed 636 times
Ad Detail
1971- 28' Bertram - Flybridge. Powered with T-350 Pleasure Craft Marine Engines - 325 HP each. Less than 150 hours.

New wiring, fuel lines, rudders, struts, props, shafts, trim tabs.

Equipped with out riggers, VHF, Radar, Amber Sounder, Color Sounder.

Enclosed bathroom. Sleeps four comfortably.

Fuel capacity - 217 gallons. Cruises at 25 mph.
Posted By: Ele
Price: $33000
Contact Eleanore Benjamin:
Kingfish

B28

Post by Kingfish »

Todd if you get to San Diego in your search I'd be happy to take you out on my B28.

I've had the boat about 3 yrs, repowered and rewired in 1998 with Yanmar 170's. It's not a rocket ship.

We normaly run 100 to 200 NM round trip fishing Mexican waters, with 4 "BIG" guys and there stuff plus 150+ lbs. of ice and a 65 gal. bait tank and a few beers.

Cruising and trolling we avg. 2 nmpg. At cruise I chose to run 2900 RPM's, 17-19 kts depending on wind and swell. WOT is 3400 RPM's so there's room to play!

If your buying gas with a thought of repowering to diesel later I would look for a boat that has been repowered. Just my thought.

If you have any questions PM or E-mail me.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I've read that the 28 gets about 1mpg on average. What can I expect from the 454's in a 31?

.8 to .9
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Jack

I Love my Hyena Boat!

Post by Jack »

Bought her in '92. I actually thoght about switching to a '31 for a while, but I decided to upgrade to diesels instead (4 bta - 250's). I know I'll never get my money back, but I don't expect her to be sold while I'm still alive so I really don't care.
unabashed hyena lover
lore

Post by lore »

Todd,
a year ago I was in your situation. I loved the B31 and I wanted to get one. The fact is that here in Italy for a gasser in good shape they ask easily 80K and for a diesel 120K. Too much for me. Instead I found for 25K a 1973 B28 in bad shape. I changed the engines with reb. 260 Mec. new shaft, struts and oversize rudders, new swimm. platform, trim tabs, new elect., autopilot, outriggers, new canvas etc. I ended up paying overall about 55K. But I am telling you that this boat is now darn good looking. Honestly I dont understand this hyena thing. The lines of the 28 are just great. Ok I accept that the B31 is on a higher league. No questions. However the B31 are at premium at least here in Europe, while the B28 are quite easy to find and at an affordable price. I hope here no one get offended but for my experience I believe that the B28 handles better than the B31 and as fishing machine is good as the B31. Said that if I could afford it I would go for a diesel B31 (no gas).
Mac

Post by Mac »

Vicroy wrote:I'm usually pretty tolorant of the Heyena boat guys, but this has to stop. The B28 remains butt ugly. The B31 is the best looking boat ever built, bar none. It has lines, it has lines, it has lines. I do not want to offend anyone, but the B28 is an ugly boat. Looks like a hyena dragging its butt on the ground. On the other hand the B31 glides thru the water, turning heads by its sheer beauty.

Yo Fren'

UV
Just curious, is there any other boat besides the 31 that you think is a good looking boat?
24' Moppie II
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Sure he does mac. It's a 41 Hatteras. UV's just to pig headed to admit it in a public form, after all his " best boat ever built" Bull crap. At the end of the day it's still a 31 foot RLDT. Great platform, where the 8' waves have 10 min intervals, and the captains refuse to speak english, and the mates hook your fish, and fetch beer, unless you've brought your own, "ran dall" who then is responcible for the beer and the reeling(panama is after all a democricy, but in ran dalls, own words, " thats like 2 wolfs and a sheep voting on whats for lunch, but I digress).
In Memory of Vicroy

Sure, the Liberty 42 is nice, as are some of the larger Vikings. But in her size range there is nothing that has ever been built by mere motals with the proportions and lines of the B31. A couple of weeks ago while we were at Tropic Star, one afternoon a ray of sun broke through the clouds and hit that fleet of 15 B31s on their mooring balls in Pinas Bay, and we all just gawked......

UV
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Vicroy wrote:a ray of sun broke through the clouds and hit that fleet of 15 B31s on their mooring balls in Pinas Bay, and we all just gawked......
Now that I would love to see a picture of.
In Memory of Vicroy

Yeah, it was a pretty sight with all those different hull colors. Timmy was actually on his best behavior down there, heard he did not puke even once in the 22 foot swells, did not grab-ass the help, only made one hotel desk girl cry on our return to PC. I gave her brother his home address. Think his name is Guido. Sorry you won't be able to make it next year Timmy, those broken knee caps take a while to heal up.

Yo Fren'

UV
Capt. Mike Holmes

Affordable B31

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Todd, Pete Fallon has a 1961 express 31 for sale in nearly pristine original condition, with EFI 454's - low hours. The express is much easier to handle for the helmsman without a lot of help than a flybrige, and Petes's gets more speed than you are asking for. Pete is a marine surveyor, charter skipper, and former boat builder so he knows how to keep up a vessel. I think he is asking $45,000 for the boat, and it's a steal for that. We are all proud of the hgistory of our boats, Pete's was built in the first year of production. If you can't find his email address on the membership list, I am sure Capt. Pat has it. I think Pete was going to New England for the summer, but the boat is in Florida.

There are several 28's for sale in my part of the Texas coast needing work, and I know of another 31 express - a 1962 (not mine guys) - that could be had cheap, but it is a project boat, although basically original.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Bill Mckinnon

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

If you are looking for a 28 that you would not have to do anything to call Capt. Tom Redding @ 843-556-5990 or Cell 843-345-1888. He has a 28 for sell that has been total redone. Glassed in front windshield, fish box in stern. Cummins diesel, lots more. Can be had in the price range you are talking about. Can fish 60 miles out troll all day and 60 back and only use 95 gallons of fuel

Captain Bill McKinnon
Charleston SC
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thanks for the info, Bill.

Is this the boat you are referring to?

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/boat ... 61890&url=

Any problems to be concerned about with these engines??

I still haven't decided on which boat. I guess it will boil down to how patient I can be. Decent 31's seem real scarce in my price range. Too bad someone beat me to the "Mi-Jan". She looked very nice.

Some very nice 28's out there though.
John Jackson

B 28

Post by John Jackson »

I have a friend who is selling a B-28 and it is in good shape and he took care of it. I noticed it in a listing at Brightwater Yacht Brokers in Point Pleasant Beach and you can look at the listing on line. I know that it has been for sale for a while. Good luck!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Todd,

The 31 can ride better, depending on many things. I like the way mine rode vs. a friends b28. That is my opinion.

Also my opinion that the 31 is roomier outside the cabin. Access, maneuverability, getting to the foredeck etc. is easier on my boat than on the 28.

60 grand will buy a damned nice 31. Either way, if you fish that much, go diesel. No question.

Understand that the $$$ are inconsequential over time. Double it. whatever it is.

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have a good friend who is on the cusp of selling his 31. It is powered by twin 454's in Niantic. I think he is asking 45,000. It is a nice solid boat in need of some tlc.

If you want more info, just let me know. He is very interested in selling.

Dug
Todd

Post by Todd »

Dug,

I am thinking that as much as I will use the boat, diesel makes sense. I am looking at the 28 in South Carolina with the Cummins 4bta 250s (advertised on Yachtworld.) . Its within my price range (barely). As long as the owner took care of all the injector issues with the engines, it should be a reliable boat.

I am still interested in seeing your friends 31. If its a cherry, I still might bite the bullet and buy gas for a few years and repower.

Have him send pictures to toddwollman@comcast.net

Thanks!!

Todd
Dug

Post by Dug »

I will let him know. There are areas of the boat that need work, but overall it is very solid.

I will try to let him know but it may be a week or so before pictures could be sent.

In the meantime I can send you exterior pictures!

Dug
JPRS51

Chekc Orange County Craig's List

Post by JPRS51 »

I was looking for a 31 and came upon this 28 located in Huntington Harbor, just south of Long Beach:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/180455348.html

Talked with the guy and it is well set up. Email me and I can send you some pictures he sent me.

jsladick@donavee.com
Jeff S