strut question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

matt

strut question

Post by matt »

just pulled the shafts on my b28(78). their diameter is 11/8" I have heard many references to cutlass bearings. the inside of the struts have a serrated rubber tube that the shafts ride in. are those the cutlass bearings? they dont seem to turn in their housing and their outside diameter is around 1 1/2". what will i need to do in order to increase shaft diameter to accomidate diesel motors? bore them out or replace.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Those are the cutlass bearings. There should be no side to side or up and down play in them. Depending on the shaft size you are going to, you may be able to use thin wall bearings.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Rawleigh's right...you can get a thinner Marine Bearing that will accomodate a larger 1 1/4" shaft.

Duramax= "BIND" code
Morse="CHOGSET" code

Both of these bearing are 1 1/2" OD with a 1 1/4" ID

You may want to download the Buck Algonquin catalog (PDF) for a source and PN reference. Look in the "Under Water Hardware" section under "Marine Bearings"

http://www.buckalgonquin.com/

Good Luck,
Scot
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

Actually i believe the part number is CHUB for the 1.25 shaft.

I to have a 28 that i upgraded from 1.125 to 1.25.

If you want to go any larger than that like a 1.375 you'll have to get new struts and redo your stern tubes. I believe 1.25 is as you'll need though.