Fuel contamination and exploding batteries

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Fuel contamination and exploding batteries

Post by STeveZ »

Two recent foul ups, your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Before fueling up I was pouring diesel fuel additive into my tank. I was careless/lazy and allowed the foam gasket from the screw on cap to fall into the fuel fill. It was white foam, a little bigger than a quarter and as thick as a heavy piece of construction paper. I assume it will float. My tanks are the original fiberglass ones. I'm hoping the fuel will eventually break it down. I don't know how the baffles in the tank are laid out and whether they will prevent the disc from traveling toward the fuel pick up. I can't think of anything to do except hope for the best.

Saturday the boat wouldn't start. Turned the keys and just got a click. Looked at the batteries located on a shelf between the engines and found this. No one seems sure what caused this. My guess is the water in the cell was low, gas formed and somehow ignited. I'm guessing ignition since the case was blasted open rather than the cap simply being popped off. Some people have suggested "over-charging". My boat has a trickle charger that I leave on all the time but now I'm rethinking that since I run the boat weekly during the season.

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

steve
looks like the cells shorted out some how, if you run the boat every week i dont see a need to keep the charger on all the time. the only time i put my charger on is in the spring before she goes in.
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

I agree with the low water/exploding gas theory. I work for a golf cart manufacturer and we see this one in a while. Overcharging COULD be the cause as this would dry out the batteries but a trickle charge would not do it UNLESS the charger is defective. Test the charger to ensure it's only supplying a trickle charge and not a full charge, then modify your preventive maintenance schedule to ensure you fill up the batteries before they're too dry.

There are several Single Point Watering Systems (SPWS) in the aftermarket that will simplify your watering duties, we use the Flow-Rite brand but there are several others you can try. Good luck!
Looking for my next boat!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I do not know of an easy way to get the gasket out of the fuel tank......but if you are ever cruising along and the engine quits you can bet your last dollar that the "Gasket" has made it's way over the end of the fuel pickup pipe.

Only blew up one battery in my life....and I know for sure that it resulted from a fresh charge and a loose post inside of the battery. Charging a battery releases Hydrogen gas...BOOMMMMMMM ! ! ! ! !
Skipper Dick wrote:Harry,

You are either a genius or you've had everything imaginable happen to you.
Every boat (Except DeNada), unique car, tractor, motorcyle I have ever owned I rescued from a scrap pile and I have spent many many hours making them usable....more hours making them usable = more learning opportunities, ie: chances to screw up
I made a new fuel tank for my old Chapparell long time ago. I made sure that I installed a large inspection port. Sealing it I used a gasket coated with liberal amounts of RTV....(don't do that)
The same amount of RTV that squeezes out on the outside of a plate also squeezes out on the inside......then breaks off and will make its way to the fuel pickup......stops you dead in your tracks.....and makes you feel really stupid......looking in the rear view mirror its easy to see what's happening.

Dick, the mistakes that I have made totally rules out "Genius"...LOL But I tend to be like an ole hound dog.....hit me in the head with a long 2X4, 58 times and I will begin to catch on.

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry, the only people who don't make mistakes are the people that don't do anything...and to me that is a mistake.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Unless you get really low on fuel the baffles will probably keep it in the front of the tank if it stays floating.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Rawleigh wrote:if it stays floating
No comment

H
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Steve

By the way.....you better be washing the entire area around the blown battery with a strong solution of Baking Soda and Water.....other wise everything in that area is gonna corrode big time

H
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I had something block the pickup feeding my starboard engine over 5 years ago. My mechanic reverse blew our the line with compressed air and haven't had a problem since...just in case.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

When I was a kid I worked in a gas station and was smoking a Camel while fueling up a democrat's Cadillac with Golden Esso (remember that?) and the lit Camel slipped from my lips and went right in the tank.....heard it hissssss as it went out in the gas. No big deal, don't worry about a little gasket in the tank.

I had a new 1977 Ford station wagon with a 460 c.i.d. V8 (and a 17 gallon gas tank, another story) and had the battery blow up one hot summer day while cranking it....blew the hood all the way up and bent it....helluva boom....had another battery blow up in my face once too during charging, but had glasses on and a hose pipe handy to rinse off.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Jeez Vic-How many lives have you (almost) used up? Vic the cat?
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

That's why I like those sealed batteries, no acid all over.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Walter wrote:Vic the cat?
And the best part is always landing on your feet. Keep it up Vic

H
hb
randall

Post by randall »

AndreF wrote:That's why I like those sealed batteries, no acid all over.
exactly.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Can't kill bad grass. I'm closing in on the magic 2 years of being cancer-free and that's when they start quietly using the "C" word for the first time...cured.....

Faithful, allow me to get on my soap box for a minute. I found out I had really bad throat cancer right after I got back from TSL in 2008. I had my choice of seeking treatment anywhere. The cancer center in Houston is regarded as the best in the world by many, but I'm sorry, the prospect of spending months in that city away from home and family vs. dying left dying as the preferred option.

I chose to be treated here in Baton Rouge at the Pennington Cancer Center. Yep, the same Pennington family that many of you know....the family donated a zillion bucks to establish a world class cancer center right here in my home town. It attracted top oncologists and got the first Artiste linear accelerator in the world installed for pin point radiation....I was the 4th patient to get zapped 36 times by that big mother.

Aided by a very strong Bride, you Faithful, and the rest of my family, and having Pennington just 10 minutes from my house, with my treatment designed and overseen by some of the most incredibly dedicated doctors and techno people on the planet, I have survived and recovered.

I mention my experience simply because if any of you should find yourselves in my situation, you need options. And this is one to consider as many in the field now consider it on a par with, or better than, Houston.

I'm always ready to discuss this in private. royvictor@cox.net or home, 225 927 6258 or cell, 225 937 1319.

And of course, the support and help I got from you Faithful brought me to tears many times when it looked like my ass was grass...but did I mention iin the beginning, you can't kill bad grass?

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

the prospect of spending months in that city away from home and family vs. dying left dying as the preferred option.
Having grown up in Houston and leaving there in '82 for Florida, I can relate to the attitude...

Here's to your continued good health Uncle Vic!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic
I visited with you just after your surgery but before radiation. Then I phoned you during the radiation and you could barly talk due to the temporary damage of the radiation. As I am sure you remember, You, Andre and I had lunch at Drusellias (spelling)

I saw what you went thru and my hat's off to ya my friend.....

Here's to good health.....cheers

And like is said earlier.....landing on your feet is a good thing

Harry
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Vic,
Born in Houston. Left at two months old. That was enough.
Mother always said that hell was being pregnant in Houston in August in 1943,
no A.C.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

You sure she wasn't just talking about being pregnant with you Mikey??? LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31