How old is too old

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RussP

How old is too old

Post by RussP »

I have enough old flares left from the previous owner to light up the sky for a few hours, some dating back to the early 80's

How many of you guys keep a few of the recent expired flares just in case and how old is too old. The last time I changed a water heater the customer said "boy it looks brand new I don't understand" and I replied yes but it leaks. Most of these old flares look good and were stored in a waterproof ORIN canister.

Thanks for your input,
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Russ,

If there is no indication of any moisture on them they will probably burn just fine. The strikers may not be any good and require you light 'em up either with another flare or cigarette lighter, but the pyro materials inside are probably still good.

as a kid, I used to walk along railroads looking for flare stubs. Some had been rained on repeatedly and re-dried in sun. A cigarette lighter always brought them back to life...

Now flare gun cartridges are another thing. If the primer caps get damp they won't fire.

So keep as many as you want, regardless of age, as long as you have an adequite supply of up to date stuff.

Br,

Patrick
RussP

Post by RussP »

Thanks Patrick,

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I shoot some off on the 4th of July. Walter
scot

Post by scot »

I had a buddy that was fined by the USCG for expired flares...and he had several on board that were still in date? They told him that any flare on board had to be within it's expiration date. I've never ask my friendly local Coasties but might be worth looking into.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

A while back I was poking through my inventory and realized a had a bunch of out of date flares. Some of the gun cartridge type, and a bunch of the handheld types too.

So I decided to have some fun and test fire some of the old handheld flares, which were maybe 2 years old. Nothing happened! I had about 9 or 10 of them and not a single one fired. I had three different kinds of handheld ones too, all were crap. I used to worry about that type of flare blowing up in your hand, but it seems more likely that they'll do nothing at all. I wouldn't want to be finding that out in a situation that I should be firing one off.

In contrast, every single one of my expired 12 gauge flares fired, and some of those were much older. I'll never buy the handheld ones again.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Flares are fine, but I also keep one of those personal waterproof strobes on board. I figure if anyone is looking for me the strobe will make it much easier to find me. They are not expensive and they are small enough to attach to a throwable floatation device, or to the shoulder of a PFD.

Acouple of years ago we had a fellow lost overnight on his kite-board. Even though his buddy went straight to the CG and reported that he was out there with equipment trouble they couldn't find him. After floating around most of the night he fetched up on a strech of beach and walked into town.
For a few bucks he could have had one of these strobes strapped onto his gear someplace and they would have found him in a matter of minutes.

Peter
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Be careful about shooting them into the air. I know of a couple of people who got in trouble for that on the 4th of July. apparently if you aren't in trouble you can only shoot white test flares! I occasionally shoot one of my old ones horizontally to test them.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Russ,
Unless a container has an oring seal, its not water proof its water resistant.
Anything with a cellulose wrapper will absorb moisture eventually allowing the contents to be contaminated.

Cartridges are better sealed against moisture either thru crimping or in some flares, wax.
Most primers in those cartridges have a sealer on them also.

I have cases of WWII .06 for the Garands that still fires well and is accurate.

Toss the flares if expired and replace. They're cheap.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Flares

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I joined a fireworks shoot off on the 4th several years ago with some expired 12 gauge flares. Set the pasture across the road from the marina on fire!
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

ALWAYS keep your flares upto date, but I keep the old ones in a separate tupperware container. If, God forbid, you run out of current flares the old ones may save your hide.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein