Annapolis, Worton, Groco

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Annapolis, Worton, Groco

Post by Mikey »

Went to the Annapolis Power Boat show to look at pieces parts. Saw lots of good stuff, learned plenty and didn't step on one new boat. Just didn't need that. Met John Patnovic from Worton Creek Marina; the guy who bought a bunch of Virginia's retired 31's and is turning them into works of art. He says he has a solution to the front window seal. Says it isn't 100% but not bad. I'm asking him to send me a sample. Let you know. Very interesting guy, among the items in his yard for restoration is his own PT boat from the Viet Nam era. Check www.wortoncreek.com.
Also went to the Groco manufacturing plant a few miles from Annaoplis. Picked up some parts and got a tour of the plant. Starting to understand the expense of some of the parts on a boat. So much of what they do requires skilled humans to accomplish, no wonder. Very accomodating people and great products. Check them out at www.groco.net. Need help call John Cly, G.M.
Damn, I sound like a commercial to day and nobody's paying me. Must be getting soft in the head in my dotage.
Mikey
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
joeh

Post by joeh »

Mikey,

I live on weems creek in Annapolis. I own Slainte John P's 2nd 31 he did. I also have Caroline, his first for sale at my dock. If you are interested or near by let me know. I am always interested in anaother 31 owner. John has been great to deal with.

Joe
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Joe,
one is enough. Restoring an express. Wish I had known you were there. I would have bummed a free lunch and talked endlessly about the best boat ever built. Slainte is gorgeous. What does the name mean?
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Here's a shot I took at Wortons while the girls did a little damage in the gift shop.

Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Steve,
Thanks for the pic.
That brought back good memories of my Dad and I and crusin the Chesapeake in the early 70's.
He had the 55 Connie painted at Worton Creek in 73.
Man I miss those days...................
joeh

Post by joeh »

Mikey,

"Slainte" means cheers or to your health in Gaelic or Irish. I will try to get some pics of the 2 boats up here on the site.

Joe
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Joe,
I should have known, being a descendent of Brian Boru.
Coinnigh an creidimh
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Mack

Post by Mack »

Mikey-
Glad to hear that you met John Patnovic of Worton Creek at the boat show. I have been wintering my 73 B31 there since I purchased the boat in 03. John has always been fair and honest with any of the work done on the boat, which is much more than I can say for most of the marine contractors that I have dealt with in Annapolis over the last 10 or so years.

Which front window seal are you referring to? Between glass and aluminum or between alum & alum? I ask because I replaced the glass/ aluminum seal last year. It was tough to find a good fit. A year later and the sun has aged the rubber significantly.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Looking for aluminum to aluminum. Want to be able to open those beauties.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

Since everyone on the bay has is hear thought i'd let u guys know I'm in southern md. My boat Short Notice is a 28 currently out of the water though. :(
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: Check out the people and see if they have anything that would work. http://www.trimlok.com/rubber_seal.aspx
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31