new deck

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

hbMoppie

new deck

Post by hbMoppie »

Boys, I am looking to replace the deck on my 62 Bert Express. The fellow that did the rebuild on the boat used some cheesy home depot indoor wood flooring on the decks, and it looks okay but will not last more than a season. It's that veneer floor that is already buckling. Don't know why he used it but it's gotta go.

I have a quote to put in nuteak (sythetic teak), but was also considering having it glassed over. Could someone give me an idea of what that would cost. The nuteak will run about 5k
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

For around the same amount you could get a new drop in, 3 section, fiberglass deck with Divinycell coring. Check with Danny at High Tide Marine. (Links Page) Be sure to specify Divinycell, not balsa, coring...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Try this site.
http://www.cabrerayachts.com/
His decks are in my express and are fabulous.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Actually, Regino Cabrera has apparently retired, sold out to another Cuban owner, and I hear that getting something done there now is worse than before... For Cabrera style items, Alex Whitaker at www.31bertram.com is the "Go to Guy"...
Marlin

new decks

Post by Marlin »

I'm in the process of replacing all deck framing and decks with Coosa board3\4 IN . 4X8 sheet s in stock in S FloridaMerritts} has a wholesale cost of a bit over 200$. Need 3 sheets, can gelcoat over it fiberglass it,(kinda soft) then paint it or have the 3 sections covered with teak or a look a like. I'm following capt Patrick's suggestion and having a local company laminate directly to the coosa board and then fasten from underneath. Pat suggest to embed a fine piece of cable as a rip cord between the 3 sections prior to putting down a bead of thiokol or boatlife, would make for an easier removal in the future