Dripless Packing Gland...what if it fails???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JC

Dripless Packing Gland...what if it fails???

Post by JC »

After reading a recent post I got kind of worried.... I never really thought of a failure... but in the case it happens is there a bailout plan?? I can imagine water would get in the boat really fast... I am sure you have thought about it... anything to stop the leaking??

JC
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Had that happen to me once. Just loosened the set screws in the rotor and slid it back a tad. No problem.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

The enemy of good is better, according to an ancient Cajun Proverb.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thru hull, shaft packing etc failures can be a problem if you don't prepare for it.

First and foremost is good quality high ouput bilge pumps, wiring and batteries.

Regular inspection of thru hulls and under water hoses and clamps is a must.

Second a selection of wood plugs, rubber plugs and caps of various sizes and spare hose clamps.

Towels work also stuffed into a hole held in place by clamps.

Bottom line is be prepared to an extent and have a plan of action just incase.

Sit down and write out a what-if list and the fixes to each.
Each regular crew should be aware of the list and what to do and where the stuffs at to fix said problems.

When I teach my personal protection and home defense courses, I give each person a what-if list and the responses to them.

Then over the weeks of the course we do drills to drive home those responses to memory so they become second nature and valuable time is not wasted with thumb up the ass thinking as split seconds can mean the difference between life or death when some unfortunate, misunderstood member of society tries to jack your car.

Total failure of shaft logs resulting in a boat sinking are rare.