Removing paint overspray

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Removing paint overspray

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

OK you paint gurus - when AJ was repainted after Katrina (Imron 5000, Bertram white) the yard got some overspray on the top half of the glassed in front windshield. You can see where the bottom half was taped off. It is really noticeable when dew gets on the area. I took a clean cotton cloth and polished the overspray area and some came off, but not all. I'm thinking about using my orbital buffer with a clean terry bonnet first and then go to some sort of rubbing compound if that does not work. Looking for suggestions from the Faithful.

UV
RussP

Post by RussP »

Greetings UV,
I think starting with a polishing compound and working toward a rubbing compound will work, just don't be too aggresive with the buffer.

I've had good luck with DeBond http://www.debond2000.com/ to remove some Awl-Grip overspray.

I recieved the list & pesos, everthing is under control.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

UV, I used acetone to take off awlgrip overspray from chrome. Worked great. I assume it would do the same on glass. Kevin
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

If you have overspray on glass, dampen with acetone and take a razor blade scraper and should come right off.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

You can also use a product I use on those occaisons and it is called "Goof Off". I get it at Lowes or Home Depot.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, guys. Maybe I was not clear - the overspray is on the painted fibergalss insert where the front windows used to be - there is no glass in the front at all, just painted fiberglass. Looks like they only masked off about half the window insert and the overspray is on top of Imron 5000.

UV
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

UV
I am guessing that it is light overspray. If it is real heavy you may have to start with the last suggestion in this thread.
If its fairly fresh paint (less then 6 months) you should be able to use a light compound by hand. Try something like 3M finesse to start with. If you can't get it by hand then try a wheel with the finesse on it and work it slowly.
If that doesn't work move up to the lightest "polishing compound" you can find, wheel it on nice and easy. The problem is you don't want to damage the fresh paint by getting to aggressive with the wheel. Start in a small section by hand and see what happens.
The worst case is you'll have wet sand with 1500 and polish the finish back but I think the first step should work.
If they got any on the pipe work the Red metal wax/cleaner will take that right off.

Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, JP. The paint was put on in late June, so its pretty fresh. I'll heed the advice about staying away from the wheel since just rubbing it with a soft cloth took some off without using any polish at all. I'll get some finesse and give it a whack by hand.

UV
clay

Post by clay »

UV:

Having read several amazing tales of the success of CV on this board and its amazing ability to adapt to almost any application, I would start the removal process with liberal amounts of CV, I am quite certian that nothing else will be required.

Good Luck

Clay
clay

Post by clay »

Sorry UV - Use CX not CV, CV is a derivative of dyslexia and should not be used for removal of overspary.

Clay
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

UV, they have clay for removing overspray, just rub it off...just check your local bodyshop supplier they will have it or just use compound and a buffer.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Detailing Clay - the stuff is like magic. Buy it at your local auto supply. Mothers makes some.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Here's a link to using detailing clay:

Detailing Clay

Br,

Patrick