battery shelves

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thereheis

battery shelves

Post by thereheis »

when making the battery box shelf ,is it tabbed to the outside of the hull as well as the fore and aft bulkheads ??

phil
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Phil,

I tab fore, aft and along the hull. Try to make your shelf to be as low as possible. I like to get the top surface of the shelves to be flush with the chine depression. You also want to do about a 2º down slope inboard so that any water that gets on the shelf will drain off rather than puddle in a corner...

Br,

Patrick
thereheis

battery shelves

Post by thereheis »

figured i should tab it to sides..you think 1/2 ply with 2 layers of glass would be ok ???and also are you gonna be around this coming week ?gonna come up an visit.and get those parts....

phil
thereheis

battery shelves

Post by thereheis »

what is about the right width of the battery shelf ?i was looking at around 13'' wide.don't wanna go to wide ..i am gonna install yanmar 315's.don't wanna get to wide so that it interfears with engine..,,any input???
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Phil,

The LPs are very compact as far as junk hanging outboard from the block. You can easily go out as far as 16" from the hull...

I like a wide long shelf that can accomodate just about anything you might want to mount there, hot water heater, ac compressor, batteries, (although I prefer the batteries in the belly of the hull between the engines), compressor, & whatever.

At 52"x16" times two, that's 11 1/2 sq ft if you install two shelves. As I remember, "Buddy Boy" was fitted with 14" shelves...

Average foot print of a 3 - 5 kw gen set is going to be between 26" - 28" long and 13" - 16" wide.

Br,

Patrick

When you comming out?
thereheis

battery shelves

Post by thereheis »

thanks capt.pat...
we are gonna head up your way tommorow ,,,still try to be there around thew same time if thats ok ????

phil
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Phil,

Sounds good to me, but be aware that NOAA is calling for a 70% chance of rain tomorrow...

Point Forecast: Llano, TX

Br,

Patrick