batteries??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

batteries??

Post by coolair »

ok
time for new batteries, have twin gasers, currently only have 2 batteries i know i need atleast 3 banks, but give me time just got the boat in april. but any opinions on AGM or jsut go with standard lead acid old school battiers
thanks
John F.

Post by John F. »

There's probably a better way, but I've got 454s and use 2 group 31s. They have more than enough power, and can get run down pretty far and still start 'em just fine. And I don't leave my boat plugger in/on a charger.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I needed to redo all my heavy 12 volt engine room system and replace the two 8D engine starting batteries (I have Cummins 6B diesels) last year. I did a pretty exhaustive battery comparison and asked a lot of questions here and in other forums. I eventually went with 2 AGM Group 34s to replace each old lead/acid 8D, plus I added two more 34s for house power and generator starting. Expensive, but I wanted to have the best source of engine starting power I could find. I had space for two 8Ds, and found with the AGMs Group 34s, three of them fit into one 8D space. So I now have two 34s for starting each engine, and two as house power, all where the 2 8Ds had been.

It suprised me in the answers I received to my questions how varied the respronses were.. some guys like standard lead/acid batteries, some like AGMs. The middle of the road gel cells seem to have fallen by the wayside for marine use.

I am happy with my new system, but lots of guys buy lead /acids and are happy too. I supposed there might be a difference it how long each type lasts.. but that depends on how you use them, and how you recharge them. I suspect this is one of the subjects where everybody has their own ideas and all systems work fine if they are installed and maintained properly.

I have a rather lengthy write-up on my new 12 volt system, including pictures and layout drawings that I can email to you. If you want it let me know.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Do a search of the site, there's a ton of discussion.
I switched out my 8D's for Odyssey dry-cell batteries. They are sealed (clean), smaller, lighter and easier, my 2 cents.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

3 Odyssey batteries on my boat as recomended by Bruce & Capt.McCrary. Very happy with them after 2 years 2 months.
1965/2007 Bertram 31
coolair

Post by coolair »

IR
that would be great
mjmixon@coolairhouston.com
thanks
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I have an 8d sitting in my bilge for the house bank and one starter battery for each engine. One alternator charges the two starter batteries though a combiner and the other alternator (100 amp) takes care of the house loads.
My 28 likes the weight of the 8d down low and the two starting batteries I consider consumable so I get the small cheap ones and they get tossed every three or four years.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

One house and two starting for 6BTA 300's. Hid them under the floor in the cabin. Lighter, cheaper (in the long run) cleaner.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

In my gas B31 I have two Exide Orbital AGM batteries. they look just like Mikey's Optimas. They are going on 7 years old and still working. I will need to change them as a precaution soon though. I use a Xantec Trucharge 40 battery charger and leave it plugged up most of the time. Yo7 need a charger with an AGM setting to use them though.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
coolair

Post by coolair »

mikey
how did you do your floor? is that a kit or did you just make glass panels and us the nonslip paint
J Graham

Post by J Graham »

I have a single 330B and use 2 4D batteries. Would like to save some weight and space. Are the Optima batteries sufficient? I use a live well a lot. The rest of the house is typical electronics and most of it is only used when running. Always paranoid about battery power.
Jim
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

This question always results in many answers......

If you spend a bunch of time in rough water, the glass mat batteries will probably last a bit longer. They can take the pounding quite a bit better because there are no plates to break. If you spend most of your time in the bay, they probably aren't worth the extra money.

For an off shore boat without a gen-set, the cats arse would be two AMG starting batteries, and two 6 volt AMG golf cart batteries wired in series for the house.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Coolair;
Sorry I didn't respond when this was originally posted. Missed for some reason. I glassed a piece of plywood and glassed in place. Added some stops to hold the batteries in place and added straps to hold'em down. Works well and they are out of the way and low in the center of gravity department. Good use of a space that ends up being used for things that don't need to be there.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein