new winshield & interior

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

new winshield & interior

Post by bob lico »

here is the interior looking toward v-berth .small corian counter and raised panel teak doors are not in yet
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the new temper glass limo tint is frameless , coosa board molded in with expoxy.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

close up of windshield shows no seam whatsoever .both top and bottom of composite windshield is bolted and pressured expoxy was pump in.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

viewed from a distance windshield appears to be part of the boat makeup like molded from factory.i ended up painting top half of boat .a new learning experiance but the boat was inside in a controlled area (heated).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

very, very, very nice work bob....design+execution.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Beautiful job Bob, no room for fish scales though. Your crew better be neat! Congratulations. Walter
luis

Post by luis »

Very nice work. Can you put a picture showing the outside of the side windows ? I like those windows.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

luis here is a picture under construction .outside is also frameless blended into the hull.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

Looks better every time Bob!!
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harv you get better we can build one just like it for you.once you touch the hot stove you don`t do it again. i had absolutely no intentions of painting my own boat . my friend bob from oakdale yacth was overwelm with work so he would walk thru and give me a tip also loan me a gold 700.00 battery pwered electronic monitered spay gun!!! made for novice like me!!!! 49.00 for a roll of this round tape that leaves no line wow all kinds of new stuff.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

tell me about the tape.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall there is a round adhesive tape made by 3m called 1/2" dr aperture tape . it`s used by pro`s to make paint " fade" in a adjacent area like if you wanted to paint the windshield and not have a distinct paint tape line.i could not believe it took me 3 days to tape the boat this guy would not except any DIY methods .stupid thing like remove all the protective plastic i just tape on because i have to use " painters plastic which is static charge and contains overspray.how about the million dollar tape that goes around courners or radius areas . i had to practice on carboard sheets until i got the feel .then the can of imron i received when the boat was painted two years ago did not match. sand the boat down and do it again!plenty of practice!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Looks like you spent allot of time Bob.

Will the drapes and carpet match the cushions?? (LOL)

We can complain all want but its nice when the ladies jump on board and want to stay for awhile.

I always thought that one good wife day on the boat equaled a minimum a 3 fish days for me without a dirty look. Of course I've been wrong before.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Lookin' real good, Bob!
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Harv

Post by Harv »

bob lico wrote:harv you get better we can build one just like it for you.once you touch the hot stove you don`t do it again. i had absolutely no intentions of painting my own boat . my friend bob from oakdale yacth was overwelm with work so he would walk thru and give me a tip also loan me a gold 700.00 battery pwered electronic monitered spay gun!!! made for novice like me!!!! 49.00 for a roll of this round tape that leaves no line wow all kinds of new stuff.
Bob,

How can we build mine just like it?
I have a Bahia Mar, but I do have ideas.

I had bought the 3M "fine line tape" for doing my bootstripe. This tape leaves a very clean line for bootstripes or color breaks. Much cleaner than blue masking tape. The fine line also bends level around corners.
It's also kind of pricey for tape.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Really nice job. Looks real clean. I can not wait to see pictures of the overhead when you are done.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Bob: Looks excellent.. I really like how you opened up the vee birth area port side.among everything else.
Wayne
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Well done ! Like the extra opening behind the bench seat. Cushions ??? I guess good for the photo. LOL
1965/2007 Bertram 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp i look at the project this way; i could be obstinate on doing everything my way which would only allienate her or i could make here feel part of the project ,then when i go work on OUR boat she doesn`t think i am spenting to much time with my toys!! i am sure you know the bottom line here .big deal the interior is a little family friendly then other bertrams but the real deal (cockpit and bridge is fishing machine ).actually she did the interior in sunbrella and cleans up with a little spray-nine. the only concesstions i made was to roll the interior with endura paint really bulletproof product no high gross gel-cote look .i had finished the windshield in gel-cote and her comment was would you ever live in a "porcelein" living room? then why in hell would you do it on a boat!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

Looks great Bob. JP is right. I'm not sure of the exact ratio, but there is something to the good wife days = more fish days (and less complaints about the $$ spent on the B31). Nice work.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

now here is the cockpit floor just outside that cabin
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
gplume

Post by gplume »

Bob-

Can't wait to see it in person. Looks fantastic.

Giff
Giff
scot

Post by scot »

Nice, very clean Bob. The bloods a nice touch also.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Beautiful job Bob
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony i am leaving the ceiling open to install the recess led lights .they will go into the fiberglass border between top of window and leatherette top.thank all of you for the compliments .all the work on the v-berth ceiling and tying in the forward deck to the bridge and bulkhead has made a big differance in the "feel " of the boat .at cruise 32knots the boat is like a missle ,incredible and i just drove the new trible 350hp contender bertram 31 blows it away in the rough stuff. does anybody care to see new galley and head?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

bob lico wrote: does anybody care to see new galley and head?
Of course. Always looking for new ideas, and like to see nice work. Keep posting pics.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looks great Bob...love the cockpit floor!

Hey if they are not Happy your not Happy.... and if by some chance your Happy when they are not Happy they make your life misirable for much longer then our short Boating season.

Sad thing is my wife and kids spend more time at the boat then I do...

I'm not really sad, I'm thrilled they enjoy it...but they don't have to rub it in.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john don`t say "of course" there are some people who think this is a college class on public speaking and get crazy if you go out on a tangent.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

bob lico wrote:john don`t say "of course" there are some people who think this is a college class on public speaking and get crazy if you go out on a tangent.

not me ....say WTF you want.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob we want to see pictures of anything boat related...Bertram pictures are all the better.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ideas worth stealing. This gives me the kick in the butt to get on with my interior. Unfortunately I told my Bride that when the boat went in the water she got the new kitchen, when what I meant to say was when the boat was finished . . .
Ah well. Kitchen under way. Done by September, I hope.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

the best is marshals boat...suzi knows how to bargain.
Harv

Post by Harv »

sim wrote:Bob we want to see pictures of anything boat related...Bertram pictures are all the better.
Including the tangent.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

bob lico wrote:now here is the cockpit floor just outside that cabin
Brewster approves of this picture.
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harv my personel opinion on building a 31 bert fishing boat for atlantic waters is go with a bahia mar. first of all a fbc is a flying brick when it comes to fuel economy with a tower. the bahia mar is sleek a lets the captain get into the action much quicker especially if he is getting on in age.don`t want to get to sidetracked here but will talk to you in person.be patient and get your body on the up and up before we go into detail.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

We all like to see what you are doing. While it might not suit everyone's needs, I bet everyone on this board has taken one of your ideas from time to time. Besides, I like some of your ideas.

Look at it this way, maybe reducing the shaft angle is not something we will do, but like hearing about it and how it affects the boat. Its like looking at that redone 55 Chevy. Not something everyone would do, but a large number of people like to admire them.

The same with the guys on the board we love it, keep it coming.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I really like 55s no-post.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

so do i john now we are really off track and i don`t mind at all i say if it offends you as i was told ---walk away don`t read it .don`t let the door hit you on the way out!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I think I'm ready for a translator or decoder.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I don't think anyone means any offense. Its just the guys being the guys. Busting as usually.

The problem is Timmy is in hiding so now everyone is starting to pick on each other.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I'm waiting too....................... I'm sitting in my foil hat however my decoder ring isn't working.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

bob lico wrote:. i had to practice on carboard sheets until i got the feel .then the can of imron i received when the boat was painted two years ago did not match. sand the boat down and do it again!plenty of practice!!!!
You do realize the color changes as it cures and the can needs a really good shaking if its been sitting that long?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

robbie i waited a week and the color appeared to have a yellow tint .i mix the can well . cannot tell you how i felt to re tape and plastic the boat .you know the drill every spec of teak had to be retaped and then wet sand out the brand new paint job except the sand texture on the deck i left that and painted over it. you have my utmost respect painting a boat is not for the novice even with that 700.00 sata spray gun.i had to tape that whole tower and did that wrong the painter wants a line of tape then white bucher paper and then i put another stripe of tape 1/2" up seemed redundant to a naive painter but i see you guys really take no chances with overspray.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I sent you a email with more information, I dont know if you sprayed the sample out or dabbed it or did any of that on a part of the boat that was sanded or a part that was not, but whenever you take a small area and either hardline it or dab it your eyes will play tricks and it may not look like it matches. Lighting plays tricks, etc.

For example on a 31 the cabin bulkhead and overhang always messes with your eyes because of the lighting

There is just no way the color was that far off, its impossible- and I know this because I myself mixed the paint, and lets say by some freakish chance it was ( not possible especially on 2 gallons of paint to make the same mistake twice ) it would have been easier for you to lighten up the new stuff instead of painting over the original paint. I just cant believe you sanded all that and re-shot it, the only good thing is spraying over sanded paint the paint lays down really really smooth, much smoother then painting over primer. That is why when someone pays for clearcoat we always sand the color coat so that the clear really lays down instead of some people that spray it wet-on-wet and dont achieve the same level of gloss and depth.

Still there is just no way 2 cans of paint were that far off, only way for that color to be far off would be to try to mix a very, very small amount paint where even a drop of extra yellow oxide tint would darken it. Obviously not the case for you because we are talking 2 gallons of paint.

I cant tell you how many boats I paint with that color, and I can take any one of them and grab a can off my shelf and it will match the boat.

Only other thing I can think of was the can rusted- but I have cans of paint up on my shelf that are 20 years old and they dont rust.

I wish you would have consulted me instead of whoever gave you the advice to sand it all down and paint it all over agian, that is just nuts.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

brothers this the making of the new galley . the whole counter was push back to utilize the dead space in back of refrigerator . the floor space is increase about 16" to allow somebody to walk past you while you make coffee or a drink. new counter is corian to match head show in another photo. one of the great results of this years renovation is the one way limosine glass . black on outside and perfectly clear looking out from inside (no curtains jp).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

as you can see very clear out window . to the left of refrigerator will be 4 small draws made in raised panel teak as all other cabinets and draws.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is the head almost complete . toilet is porcelein with 4 stage flush ,can be filled with fresh water and use like home toilet for the ladies.never a odor all waste goes into holding tank in engine compartment . which is ventilated and holding tank vent has in line odor filter.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

let try that again
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

another view
capt.bob lico
bero13010473