Capt Pat's oversize rudders

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

sandygold

Post by sandygold »

I am going to replace my rudders which have B-28 style shafts with Capt Pats oversize rudders. I have limited skills as a mechanic and need to know how difficult the replacement is. Also, do I need to remove the old rudders for any measurements before ordering the new ones. One more item, I do not know what the current price of the pair is. I appreciate the reply.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I replaced the rudders on my '69 B31 last winter. Its really easy and straight forward as long as your rudder bearings and shelf are OK. Spray everything with Corrosion X now so that it'll come apart easier down the line. Also, make sure the yard blocks up your boat high enough so that you can drop the rudders down. I had B28 style shafts in mine, and Cap. Pat knew just what I needed--he can give you the details about price.

I slow troll for rockfish (stripers) in my boat, and the new rudders are easily one of the best improvements I've made. She'll turn on one motor just fine, and runs well at speed.

John F.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Sandy,

The hardest part of the replacement may be getting the old rudders out.

Remove the tie bar ends from the ball joint of the tiller arms. You'll have to remove the plug screw from the end of the socket connector ends to free up the socket assembly.

Loosen the tiller arm bolt, then remove the bronze lock collar, and loosen two allen head set screws on the inner ring of the upper bearing, and unscrew, completely, the packing cap nut. Apply penetrating oil to all contact points along the shaft.

You'll probably need a large hammer, like a 3 lb machinist sledge, and a 6" - 8" drive pin 1" in diameter. The drive pin can be any metal, steel, bronze, or brass. A long 6"x1" bolt will work fine.

Additionally you may need a large pair of channel lock pliers, small pipe wrench, and an angle grinder with both 4 1/2" thin metal cut off wheels & 36 grit sanding discs along with your other general tools. The grinder may be necessary to dress the mushroomed over shaft top after betting on it before it will pass through the bearing race.

Consider that the old rudders & bearings are of no value, other than as metal scrap, so don't worry overly about getting them out in pristine shape. You'll want to replace the flange bearings with new bearings, (available from WW Grainger or Wholesale Tool Company).

Once the old rudders are free, the new rudders will slip right into place. Even if you have really stuck old rudders and have to beat them out, the whole job can be done in a day...

The current price is $1,375.00 plus $47.00 S&H ($1,422.00 total) shipped to NJ. Stainless prices are still on the rise, so that price could escalate within the next 30 days...

Br,

Patrick
sandygold

Post by sandygold »

Capt
To what address do I send the check for the rudders?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Sandy,

The mailing address is under my image at left... Check must be made payable to me personally, bertram31.com is a website only, non-banking entity.

Br,

Patrick