Whale shark and lemon fish

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

AndreF

Whale shark and lemon fish

Post by AndreF »

I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
ScottD

Whale shark

Post by ScottD »

Andre, I had the chance to swim with a whale shark once, less than half the size of that monster, but it was great. I can't believe the amount of life following it, basicly a swiming reef. Great link.

Thanks, Scott
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

very cool link Andre.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Man that thing is huge. I don't think I'd be snorkeling around it, especially around the working end like those guys did. What do those things eat? Didn't get that big on kelp

Ditto - very cool link. Had no idea such a thing existed. Reminded me of the shark that Steve Zisso was chasing in that corny movie
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Sean,

I believe they feed on plankton, filter feeders as I understand. They are curious & will swim right up to you. I’ve dove with a couple of them on separate occasions in the Gulf of Mexico. Those dive are some of my favorite dive memories. The one I got to spend the most time diving with came along side the boat & it was 2/3 of the length of the 36’ boat we were on. It was making lazy circles from the boat to about 80’ feet around the bottom of the rig we were tied up on. I was just enjoying the experience. My buddies, the die hard spear fishermen, were sticking the ling that swam along with him. When he would turn to make his loop back up the ling were exposed for a good shot. I think they got three of them & the whale shark never even seemed to notice. They are like a swimming reef, lots of fish follow them. All around a pretty dang cool experience. If you ever get a chance, jump in with one. He’ll probably swim over to see what you’re doing.

DanielM