Northeast 09

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

neil

Northeast 09

Post by neil »

Its time to get the ball rolling for the 09 rendevous ,we need suggestions and people to organize it .Any ideas
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

My nominations are Walter, Brewster, & Montauk, same set up as last year. How could it have been better?
Harv

Post by Harv »

I agree.
Plus we could also find out how serious the Yacht Club is about having us back, after finding a different venue last year..........or not.
Harv
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

..........or not.
I agree... I can't think of a single advantage that MYC has over what we did last year, other than maybe to get all the boats semi-lined up on a single dock. BFD
neil

Post by neil »

we have the first hundred bucks for patricks plane ticket ,that was a fun time for us
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Im in. And I got 100$ for plane fare for Patrick.
neil

Post by neil »

brewster,jr had his brewster shirt on today he wears it with pride but he is still waiting for his no bananas stickers
Harv

Post by Harv »

Hey Brew,

Call me to arrange for the outriggers and license plate frame.
Harv
Brewster Minton

The stickers are comming, and Harv Ill call you when I am free in a week or so.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

guess I just got guilted into a puttng up hundred as well, since I'm almost never here anymore.......But thats going to change. Back to work on the tubb, till it's done for montauk or my company has been driven into the ground by the economy
randall

Post by randall »

kids living in caren's studio....so the guest room and the loft are available...see if you can talk bruce int coming also.
Rumrunner

Post by Rumrunner »

I think its time to look for a different place. We are in for the MYC but that other place was a dump. Can the Montauk boats make it to Block? We can keep Sea Tow on standby.
We had a great time in NewPort a few years ago.
The Rumrunner is in no matter where it is.
I have been absent from the site because of winter work on the 50 and building a new home at the beach.

Note to Neil. I am keeping an eye on your progress. I am in Sunset Point for the winter so I go by your project 2 to 3 times a week. Looks great, what a back yard. We have a roof on and are setting windows on Monday. Call me, I left a message.

Think Spring. We are going to the Miami Boat show next month let me know if anyone will be around.

Capt Tom
Capt Tom
gplume

Post by gplume »

Being from RI, I really enjoyed going to Montauk, and look forward to returning. With the local support there, and the food setup from Brewsters, it made for a great weekend. From a guy perspective, the marina was fine....but for those of us bringing our wives/significant others, someplace with some more amenities like a pool would go a long way to keeping the "pink fin tuna" happier. Also it would be nice to all get on one dock.

That said, I can appreciate the desire to go somewhere else if you are local to Montauk or have been there a number of times. As for RI, besides BI and Newport, perhaps there is a marina in the Pt Judith area that fits the bill. Pt Judith is a lot like the RI version on Montauk. Not posh, and more of a fishing town than BI or Newport. I am local, but don't have a lot of time to chase stuff as work will be "social darwinisim" (we will loose more folks for sure) for the next qtr. If someone else from the RI area wants to step up, I would be glad to help out. I guess in terms of what I know now, not having checked out Point Judith, if we were to move, BI would be my first choice, but I say this with the qualifier that i really liked Montauk and would love to back there.

My 2 cents
Giff
Dug

Post by Dug »

The price of fuel is likely to remain lower than it has in a couple of years. That being said, it is time to move from Montauk. Oak Bluffs was a great location, and different. Liz and I really enjoyed exploring a new area to which we had never been. If we are intent on a spot on Long Island, how about Greenport or somewhere else on the island?

Newport was a very good location due to the access from the airport for those flying in, the appeal of the town itself, the venue's experience in working with groups like ours, and THE WILLINGNESS IT CREATED TO HAVE PEOPLE COME IN FROM THE NORTH.

We have people who want to come from the MA, RI and so on areas, who have a justifiable reason not to drive that far. Same argument that many of the NY people have given for not going as far north.

I advocate CT shore, other locations on LI, or Newport and or the islands.

Great job overall on the rendezvous, but I hope we can do a different venue.

Dug
CMP

Post by CMP »

If the dates work out, Scrap Metal will be there...

CMP
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I hesitate to mention this until I find out more, but Reed Austin, the sales manager of Hunt Yachts was told about our last rendezvous by Gary Caputi. Gary suggested he think about the possibility of Hunt Yachts sponsoring one given the history of our hulls being designed by C.Raymond Hunt. Their facility is in Portsmouth RI. If any of you are familiar with their place and think it has what it takes to handle our group in terms of dockage, local interest, accessibility etc., I'll follow it up to see if they would consider it. No matter where (but where would be an important factor) someone has to step up to the plate to run it. Rendezvous locations and facilities are a lot like boats. There are tradeoffs you must make on each one. The world thinks if you own a Bertram, money is no problem. I can tell you from experience, if you don't negotiate and negotiate hard, you better bring a lot of KY. Walter
neil

Post by neil »

walter i spoke with the montauk yacht club today,they will get back to me . also gary lives around the corner from me ,i will speak to him about your idea i like it you did a great job last year and we all thankyou for that
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Walter, what Neil said..... and that goes for Brewster as well.........
neil

Post by neil »

just spoke with gary ,he is on it sounds like a fun time
Brewster Minton

I dont care where, but all the boats should be on same dock. Montauk is better for me.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

yea brew, easier to pass the tekiller when were all at one place
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

all things being fair you can`t ask brewster to haul all that food to R.I.i think that is asking alot.i think the food arrangment is the biggest factor as well as having a place for this many trasient boaters during the prime week of 1st week of august.rafting the bertram fleet is not the way to go does everybody agree.walter did a great job and i thank him for that but you can`t make everybody happy.where ever we have it in the northeast.the physical aspect of all boats docked side by side is going to be a problem.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

bob if hunt yachts willl step up to sponsor the event brewster will not have to cook ,he can spend more time drinking with timmmmmmy just an idea
In Memory Walter K

We have to be careful about what we assume "sponsor" is. In actuality WE personally are the sponsors, and always have been.
Not one facility I worked with last year laid out a penny for us. We paid for our dockage, we paid for our dinners (at Brewster's cost), and paid for a place to go for our dinner, etc. Every bit of that had to be talked into and negotiated for. Every boat owner paid for everything we had and thanks to people like Brewster, Mike O, Bob Fiorese, our wives and our friends who donated prizes for us to raffle, we could keep it down to a reasonable per person cost even though the event was at the height of the summer season.
The event not only broke even, I was able to send a sizable donation to the site from all of us (something I personally believe every Bertram31.com Rendezvous should strive to do if at all possible).
It's the capability of the location to handle a guesstimate of how many boats will attend (if the weather is good), Cater a decent meal at a reasonable cost (to another guesstimate of how many attendees), and have nearby facilities families can enjoy. That ain't easy to do to everyone's satisfaction.
If we're lucky and Hunt Yachts has the space, the nearby facilities, etc. and they think the PR value of such an event might be worth the trouble, great! I'd like to see that happen as I think we ARE worth the effort.
We'll still need a nearby "Chairman" for the event. One of us is a "must". Someone who our checks will go to, negotiate in our behalf, coordinate things, etc. I don't expect Hunt knows what it takes to put on this kind of a event to satisfy a group like ours.
For example, with the exception of Guy Harvey, who I know personally, NOT ONE of the companies I wrote letters to, Bertram included, contributed a thing to our raffle. It was all personal contact by myself or one of our bretheren, God bless them all!
Lets see what kind of a response we get from Hunt. I sure hope they're interested and have the space and facilities for us. If that's where we decide to go, I'll be glad to give whoever takes it over whatever help I can provide by virtue of what I learned last year. Walter
gplume

Post by gplume »

Guys. I just did some googling to find out where Hunt Yachts is located. If my hunch is right, it is located just south of New England Boat Works and is colocated with a bunch of marnine businesses including Hinkley, and North Sails. Basically the place is part of old Mellville tank farm from when the Navy destroyer fleet was moored in RI. (Nice sight when the bay was full of destroyersback in the 60's and 70's) There is a distinct north and south facility. Don't know much about the south yard, seems more comercial oriented but my folks are livaboards at the north yard, though they cruise pretty much most of July and August. The Shearwater spent roughly 5 seasons there. For us, the north yard is much nicer than the south yard in terms of facilities. Pool, decent resturaunt & bar that is not overly pricey. Lots of truely world class yachts and some high tech boat building going on....most of the big ocean sail boats and 12 meteres are in and out of there all of the time. Also lots of big custom power yachsts also (depends whats being built). Price wise seasonal slips ain't the cheapest (using this as a guage), but definately not the most expensive either.

The negatives; Up the bay about 1/2 hour (@ Shearwater speed), Not much in the way of diversions... BI, Newport Oaks Bluffs, or Montauk have a lot to do beside hang out. Not really a transcient place. Depending on wind direction it can be a bit warm.

I guess it may be worth at least keeping it on the realm of considerations. Hope this gives you all an breif overview.
Giff
In Memory Walter K

I contacted Hunt Yachts by e-mail yesterday and surprisingly got an enthusiastic response first thing this morning with many cc's to members of Hunt's management team. That's a good sign. I was asked a few basic questions ie: dates, number of boats, etc. and gave them a full run of our history, previous Rendezvous locations, and most importantly, our basic needs. Now, let's see what they say. If it sounds good, I would think a representative or two of the group would need to go see for ourselves the viability of what they have to offer before we commit. Start looking at your charts. Portsmouth RI is above Newport and we do not know yet exactly where in that area they are proposing. Will fill you all in as I know more. Walter
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Ri's alot closer to tow the tubbbbbbb too.
Brew, what neil said..........more drinkin time..... as if we need MORE of that....
neil

Post by neil »

walter ,i have spoken with gary about this idea,it sounds like a possibilty i have also spoken with the montauk yacht club they seem very interested as well . and timmy you will be going there in a car as always
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Neil, JP's right, you really are a dick....... not like that dick, capt dean, but a real dick, like ELY........... Think I'm heading back down the end of March. your house going to be done?? or at least the boat in?
Last edited by thuddddddd on Jan 8th, '09, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Walt & All-

Here is a link to the marina just north of where I belive Hunt yachts is located - see my post from a few days ago for a description and the plus es and minuses of the general location. I know this marina very well well, its a well run place.

http://www.neboatworks.com/yacht-parts- ... ngland.php

A google search of Hunts address shows an inland address on Prudence Island, which is directly across the bay, and definately not the location of their yard.

I can't find a good picture or wed site for the south yard which is I beleive operated by Hinkley, and where i belive Hunt Yachta is located. If you look at a map, Hunt I beleive is just south of NEB.

While on the subject of Rhode Island as a destination, I checked out a marina in Point Judith that has potential. Point Judith Marina(go figure) - see web link below.

I talked to them breifly and they seemed willing to work with us. Std rate is 3.00/ft. 10 or more boats is 2.00/ft. They have some amenities like a barbaque area and a pool. They mentioned they can get a lobster bake delivered from the neigboring Snug Harbor Marina which has a fish market. This area is alot like Montauk with a heavy fishing influence. I don't know the marina well, but it sounds nice enough. I would expect you guys from Montauk could make it in 1-2 hours. Only negative may be that the nearest resturunt is a 1/2 mike away. That said, directly across the channel are loads of seafood resturaunts. There is a nice salt pond upstream from the Marina, which is a great place for hanging out and anchoring.

http://www.pjmarina.com/

Keep this one on the burner incase none of the others pan out.

Keep in mind, all RI locations are no more than 1/2 hour from the main airport by car (except Block Island)

All the best
Giff
Giff
CMP

Post by CMP »

thuddddddd wrote:Ri's alot closer to tow the tubbbbbbb too.
Brew, what neil said..........more drinkin time..... as if we need MORE of that....
Get off yer whining arse adn start working on the thing and there'll be no towing...

CMP
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

CMP wrote: Get off yer whining arse adn start working on the thing and there'll be no towing...

CMP
Really If you put the same effort into working on it as talking about it. It would have been done Twice So get to work like you SAID you were.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

34Hatt wrote: Really If you put the same effort into working on it as talking about it. It would have been done Twice So get to work like you SAID you were.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Look at you with the working emoticons.

If you just started workin on your damn boat and quit messing with the computer we'd be drinkin on the Tubbb and not at Cathy's house.

More worky less shooty
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
neil

Post by neil »

the essex island marina contacted me to see if we had any interest at their place any thoughts,they where open to the idea of outside catering neil
In Memory Walter K

Neil-Details?