Surfs Up Dude...

Post by CaptPatrick »

Randall,

Grab your board, Florence is calling...

Br,

Patrick
randall

Post by randall »

not quite yet........ernesto was fun but this looks like the real thing.....hoping for the once every few years secret spot
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

According to the LI forecast, you should have the good stuff rolling through on Monday & Tuesday.
CMP

Post by CMP »

2nd beach Newport will be going OFF and when she heads north, my ab-so-lute favorite point break in NE will be finest kind. Time to break out the big stick...

CMP
randall

Post by randall »

get any mark?................all righty then....3 days of overhead waves.....tried the "secret spot" but not happening....nice ride in the boat though....came back and surfed the point...great waves but got annialated on an outside set....saw my friend drop in really late on a double overhead+ wave........unfortunately i saw it from 30 feet inside of where he was....
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Let me lite up a fat one so I can understand what Randall said...............
CMP

Post by CMP »

I got a few before the wind shifted onshore. Took out my old 8'6" Byrne rhino chaser one day and caught a secret break in Rye at 2x overhead on both tides. OUTstanding to surf with some friends I haven't seen in a while in a spot we've been surfing since college. Also caught some smaller stuff at a less secret spot the day before that with just overhead, perfect rights. Great fun but I need a new wetsuit-I felt like a friggin sausage, fat bastid. I also learned that I can't hold my breath as well as I used to. The wind shifted alot earlier than predicted and turned it all to shit. Still a decent swell, but if it ain't near perfect, I don't go. Thanks Florence...

CMP
randall

Post by randall »

sounds good...the nice thing about montauk is on a big enough swell the wind window is large...whats onshore on one side is offshore on the other.......at my age if i dont surf all summer no way im paddling out into way overhead surf....perfection is not part of the equation
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Good call. It always looks smaller from the beach too. It's been big and glassy along the FL coast. I have not gone out either, I'm too outta shape right now for this. A friend in Cocoa Beach emailed me today that a regular got pummled today, held under and did not make it, they couldn't save him at the emergency room. I don't hear much of that in FL. Two people at my work have injuries from yesterday. I think it boils down to the fact that we don't have surf like this often.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
CMP

Post by CMP »

You guys both nailed it. WHen I was surfing a ton, I'd surf all winter in NH and not think twice about it, but I was younger, not as lazy and in good shape. This swell was my first time out in almost a year-pretty pathetic. No WAY would I think about a beach break in this stuff...

CMP
randall

Post by randall »

one thing i did to keep me in the water almost daily was buy a long board and relearn how to ride it...........last time was 1968........spent many an hour this summer trying to get to the nose in waist high surf....good exercise and lots of fun should have done it years ago but was too addicted to hard turns............ironically the best nose ride i got all summer was in panama on someone else's board.......
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

For excercise I bought a paddle board, it's like a hybrid between a longboard and a kayak shape. It has a dished out area you lay in or kneel in and and a single fin. I purchased this aftera buddy of mine convinced me to join him for a paddleboard contest a few years ago in Cocoa Beach. These guys are serious. There were about 10 of us and one guy with a chest like a barrel is talking to me about how he tried paddling to Cuba! He did not make it since it was against the current. He wants to try and get clearance from the Govts to swim from Cuba to FL..not sure on his progress on that project. The race was 4 miles, I was way in the back of the pack at about mile 2 a lightning storm settled over us slowpokes..I took that as a good enough reason to paddle in to shore. I now swim laps in a nearby pool, it's good but not exactly the same as paddling on a board. I have friends that will put their shortboard in the pool and attach the leash to something on the end of the pool so they are kept stationary and they'll paddle for 20 minutes as an exercise. And they bring weights in the pool to walk on the bottom and stay down for long periods. These guys go to Tahiti, T'heapu, etc. serious stuff. Not for me but I do like the idea of trying the leash on the pool trick.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
randall

Post by randall »

steve...ive done the stationary board thing......more fun to just paddle a set distance in the ocean or bay....bunch of guys just paddled from here to block island...bout 18 miles open ocean....maybe someday in the kayak.......BTW.....surfed a bit in delray, deerfield and boca....indian river....palm beach, etc