Texas Faithfull

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kipp

Texas Faithfull

Post by kipp »

I have "Targeted Species' in Bacliff where I'm hoping it turns out as good as "Reel Cowboy" (so far really looking good). I need to reinstall and upgrade electronics (Raymarine) ,and want to install an autopilot, Also plan to install a Westerbeke generator and Coolmate AC. Any suggestions on who to do those installs that is in the Houston/ Galveston area? John, who did yours?
Thanks for any input.
Kpp
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the raymarine setup is so easy it would be hard for me to belive you would need anybody to set it up,with one exception;you really need the smart heading sensor if you intent to utilize radar overlay.you can use the c-120 or c-80 no need to spent the extra money for e series unless your into the video thing like underwater camara or cockpit cam camara.the smart heading sensor will hold the radar screen over the graph at speed of over 35 mph.you practice every time you go out and see a purple dot to your port and sure enough the graph indicates a buoy in that place.in a dence fog you could not only hold course at cruise speed you could place your bertram dead center of course and not to hit a buoy.another nice feature you will enjoyed is when you leave the inlet you go to manual crank up gain a see birds 15miles away.installation is just a matter of mounting the gps and connect dsm,radar ,shs,tranducer, you can use ray talk if you want to additional screen each cord just plugs in no thinking.cord teminals only go one way.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

Kipp,

There is a company in Seabrook, Texas that builds high end towers, hardtops, etc. They do a lot of installations and work hand in hand with the electronics vendors in that area. They are VERY PROUD of their work ($$$$) big time, but it is first class.

I'm sure they could recommend several electronics vendors/installers in the area. You may want to give them a call and pick their brain.

http://www.topsntowers.com/

Good Luck
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Kipp,

It’s been a while but I purchased some electronics from Breakwater Marine Electronics in Webster. www.breakwatermarine.com The owners were Derek & Lillie Garcia. They have been in the business for some time so they seemed to know their product & were helpful. At the time they were competitive on what I was looking for. You might give them a try.

DanielM
Tom

Post by Tom »

Kipp, the best around is Bill Platt, 409-739-3489. He's an independant but the best. A hell of a fisherman and captain as well. You should know a bunch of the same people in Venice.

The other stock companies are Breakwater Marine as mentioned and Sailtech. I've used both but I got tired of smiling everytime they broke it off in my rear. There is also Milleneum Marine, never used them but have heard good things. 281-291-9892. They had damage from Ike but should be back and running.

Land and Sea Services can do the a/c and genny. Call Chris Cotter there, 409-935-9466. He did my repower and genny service.
Viva la Presidente!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Kip,
Ditto on Bill Platt.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
scot

Post by scot »

Milleneum Marine, never used them but have heard good things. 281-291-9892
Tom,

They did a leaning post for a friend of mine and a T-top for another. Excellent work and a very fair price. For anodized aluminum work they are every bit as good as Tops-n-Towers any day....at 1/2 the price.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Jason, owner of Milleneum, is great on the aluminum work, but, I don't think that he's big on hooking up electronics. Tops and Towers, also known as Tops and Robbers, do nice aluminum and canvas work, if money isn't an issue. There's a guy named Pat in the Freeport area that's built T-tops for several people in my neighborhood. $1450 for a double hoop with rod holders, anteneaemounts, and light tabs...half of what Milleneum charges. He's currently building a bow rail for my 23' Explorer. Kip, if you need any aluminum work after Sal gets done, Pat's about an hour from where Targeted Species is. Pat...can't recall his last name..can be reached at 979-236-3494 and works out of his shop, which is next to his house.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Scot, TnT did all the work on my smaller boats. Great work and certainly worth the extra money if nothing more than to hang out with Bobby Bird Jr. The man has the FINEST mullet hair cut ever. Thick and full, platinum blond. Business up front and Party in the rear. Words can't describe it.

Sort of like Capt. Pat a few years ago in Port Eads in his speedo banana hammock swim suit. I think Bruce put it well, "Its not pretty, but I wouldn't call it ugly either."-Tom
Viva la Presidente!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Bobby's a great guy...mullet, and he sports a Speedo offshore also. Pat's bald, but is a third of the price, and will drink a beer with you for no extra charge.