cockpit re do

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

cockpit re do

Post by randall »

when i worked as a finish carpenter my thing was simple as possible and no trim or exposed screws. so i tried to put the theory to my B25 cockpit. erased 40 years of hardware installation and wear. everything fits and about 40 screw holes disappeared. hard to get a good shot under my tarp A frame but...........

CaptMarkB

Post by CaptMarkB »

Boy is that pretty! Still in the ugly duckling statges of my 20 Bahia Mar restoration, gives me hope seeing such a beautiful boat.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Randall- Beautiful! So much so, any dirt will drive you nuts. Install a washdown pump while you're still on dry land. You,ll be glad you did. Mark B-Where on LI are you restoring your B-20 Bahia Mar?
randall

Post by randall »

thanks...nah....i use the same system as tropic star. one less thing to break or wear out.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

fantastic
CaptMarkB

Post by CaptMarkB »

I'm in Jamesport, but the boat was just taken to Ridge for a friend of mine to help re do some prior bottom repairs. The boat has been stripped down of all hardware, mechanicals, rails, windshield, interior, and wood (just a fiberglass shell left). After the bottom is done (over winter), I'm going to remove the cockpit sole and address the transom coring and stringers, as well as install a new fuel tank. Looking at the TODD polyethylene. Any opinions? I figure it's about a two year project. Got a lot of good advice from Patrick ref. fiberglass repairs.

Mark.
Jareb

Post by Jareb »

Beautiful job Randall! What wood did you use?
John
randall

Post by randall »

thanks....its a bunch of mahogany i had left over from a job in the 90s. redid the gunwales about 4 years ago. just did the paint this summer. the rod holders and screws under the hawse pipes hold it down.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Clean, clean, clean. My style ;-) Great job !
1965/2007 Bertram 31
scot

Post by scot »

Excellent Randall, beautiful work, setting new standards on B25 cockpit fit-n-finish, standards I'm KNOW I can't match!!! But I am shooting for the clean finish myself. Keep it up, I need the motivation!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

That's first class work Randy...........great job

I don't know...never went to TSL but I am assuming that the wash down system has something to do with a 5 gallon bucket.......right????

Harry
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

Beautiful work. Looks great.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I like the grey contrasted with the white, similar to Ironman's 31 topsides.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Lots more room for fishing with the V-drives than the B25 we used to fish in with outdrives. I always wanted to do a B25 V-drive with a pair of old
4cyl. Mercruiser 485's [The engine with no alternator,aluminum block,460ford head,and 460pistons] at 185HP. Troy
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Nothing I wouldn't expect from a perfectionist. Soooo clean!
What are the gray panels. I'm at that stage with Dreamsicle.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

thanks....very old school....1/4 inch plywood with formica laminated on the out side...all edges have a 3 inch glass cloth border and the back is epoxied. the rod holders drain onto the deck and out the scuppers.... i liked working with azak a lot. the little side panels over the gas intake lines are made of it. so is the side of the dinette seat....cool stuff.

harry......two 5 gallon buckets......its the heavy duty system......
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Randall.. what can anybody say.. except "beautiful"?

A question please.. what did you use for paint, and how did you apply it?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Randall

Do you hire out? Really nice. It looks like a brand new cockpit that has never been used.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall i have been posting for years the ease and waterproof assets of azak but capt. patrick keeps reminding me to call it pvc because azak is a trade name however it can`t be mistaken for the crap they sell in the depot stores.you have most likely taken a router to a piece and found it to be the cats ass with any contour you wish to make.
nice job on the cockpit ,what type of paint did you use?this year i have 6 engines all mercruser small blocks and one volvo.one 350ci goes to mike orstein with 100hours on it but the rest are not spoken for.i can`t remember who ask with the 100 pm`s this year but i though you needed one.waiting for insurance to settle fire damage with yard.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Randall, Very nicely done !!!

I used a brand of pvc board I got from yard to remake the panels on my flybridge and fwd cocpit area. Not much on rigidity but holds a screw well. It was $80 for a 4x8 1/4" 3 years ago (not sure if that was a good price or not).

-JohnD
randall

Post by randall »

i used interlux one part poly......not as good as two part but much easier. i did the gunwale 4 years ago and its holding up well. i sprayed the engine covers , hatches, and small panels...and the dinette end. i rolled and tipped the deck. a first time experiment for me and i was blown away by the result......looks sprayed...especially the flat surfaces. i used a foam roller and then dragged a foam brush at low angle with no pressure. for the transition to vertical i cut a foam brush to the right contour....worked great.

i glued a piece of half round on the edge of the small panels to cover the gap.....they are held on with velcro. on the dinette seat i hand planed the azac to the half round. works and shapes very very easily....and holds paint nice. for non structural its a good choice.

tony....it is a brand new cockpit that has never been used.......now....but i plan to get it good and bloody eventually....should be easy to clean.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Looks real nice, Randall..what kind of nonskid did you settle on?
Wayne
randall

Post by randall »

didnt....just cleaned and painted the preformed diamond pattern that was already there. in many spots it was worn smooth or diminished but much to my surprise it didnt seem to matter much once it was all the same color. the top of the engine boxes had a fighting chair so all those hole had to be filled and faired. so now its smooth turning into diamond plate.....looks OK