Honda EU2000i genset experience I had

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Honda EU2000i genset experience I had

Post by Dug »

I bought a nice little genset, (the model in the title) and it came in last week. 48 lbs dry, small, and good looking anyway.

This past weekend I fired it up and it is sweet. Quiet as a churchmouse, at 58 decibles while running wide open. It powers my whole boat without even breathing heavily so canyon trips will be a much more relaxing time.

Now for the kicker! I took it over to my fathers boat, and plugged it in. He has a 9000 btu Marineair ac unit, and it works like a charm.

This little genset cranked it right out and without missing a beat!

Awesome product.

Dug
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

good report, beats the heck out of the cost of a marine gen and the hastle installing...

br,
JohnD
Dug

Post by Dug »

John,

Most of the time they are listed at $999. I bought this one at Wise sales for $869.

The way I see it, that is one hell of a lot better price wise than putting in a permanent one. Plus if the power goes out at the house, I can keep the freezer cold.

The thing runs 15 hours at 1/4 load. On just a shade over 1 gallon of gas.

Wow.

Dug
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Dug,
Got mine at Wise also. Free shipping.
I've tried it on a 12k ac and it worked. Not yet tried a 16k.

Nice gen set.

That set does not have a drain the carb of gas feature so always mix the gas with store and start. Never know when it'll be shut down and sit for a while.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

If anyone tries it with a 16KBTU please inform about it.
Charlie

HONDA eu2000

Post by Charlie »

The Hull Ttruth has got a deal with Wise: One HONDA eu2000 Generator with FREE 10ft battery charging cable ($16 value) - $860.99
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I have a 12000 Marine air in my 28. I guess the eu2000i should run that without a problem. Have not been able to hear any first hand reports on that until now. Bruce, any numbers yet on the 212 hp with gears. How much for the IFG and is that something you get on one engine or both? Kevin
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Dug

I have had a Honda 2000EU for a year now. Use it on my boat when drifting also have used it at the house when we lost power. You can also get a second one and connect the 2 up to run together.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I bought a EU2000i a few months ago. Tried it on my early 90's vintage 12000 btu Cruiseair with the non rotary compressor and it struggled to get it started. Ran fine once it did, but can't be good for the a/c during start up. The newer rotary compressors I here take less juice to start and will work with the little Honda. Bruce, mine has a carb drain valve mounted in line on a drain hose. Kinda looks like an afterthought application. Great little power plant for our smaller vessels.
Eddy G.
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Doug,
Where did you put it on your 31? Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Guys,

The Honda 2000 generator will drive a 12,000 btu ac and different things which the ac was turned on in stages. First thing was, I had the fan & water pump come on first when I rotated the switch to start, then the compressor next when I rotated it to run and ran find.

Trying to start everthing at once will do it for a while but the starting amps are to much for the 2000, better to bring it up in stages. Then use your other things as total amps will allow for the 2000. Distance from generator to the panel it feeds needs to be close if the proper wire gauge is not used for distance as you will have voltage drop, that will effect it. I kept mine right behind the port side engine box. But have gone to a Next Gen. 5.5 for more power requirments.

DQ
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

First click on my A/C control knob turns on the fan. Second click starts the compressor and water pump simultaneously. That's when the whole A/C unit goes silent for a couple of seconds and then starts to run. Same thing occurs when the compressor cycles. I made up a heavy cord with a female 30 amp on one end and a 15 amp male on the other just long enough to go from the generator to the power inlet. The only other load that may have been on was my battery charger. Next time I'll try with that turned off.
Eddy G.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Eddy G,

You can change the wiring for the fan & pump to start together for the first click & the compressor to start for the second click. That is how I changed mine to start without tripping the generator circuit out. Everything else needs to be turned off until your a/c starts running then bring your other things on one at a time.

DQ
Stuart Cooperrider

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

Doug, I guess I'm the second to ask this but I didn't see a reply for the first. Where do you put it on your boat?
-stu
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

It probaly is not going to run a 16,000 btu a/c even doing it in stages.
DQ
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Stuart,

I kept mine right behind the port engine box on the deck so I could plug in to the receptacle to power up my panel.

DQ
Dug

Post by Dug »

I am thinking of putting it on the flybridge. I would like to put it on the swim platform, but not offshore.

I can put it behind the seat on the flybridge, or turn it to the side to vent outboard. Otherwise I only want to make sure the exhaust is being blown off the boat!

Dug
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

This is why I decided to go on an make my generator permanent because as small as the 2000 is, it still will eventuality be in the way. The back deck was as good of a place as any to put it, because of the air movement across the cock-pit, and out of the way right behind the port motor box in the corner against the gunnel.

The Honda 2000 is a very quiet and good running generator for the money you can't beat it, for a 1.1 gallon tank it runs forever on that.

DQ
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have to assume the unit gets warm running and later cool, or in the Fall, cold. If you're in an Ethanol state, empty the tank when you're storing it or not using it for an extended period of time (60+ days) as phase separation is one of the big problems. The condensation water/Ethanol goes straight to the bottom of your tank where the fuel intake line sits. At 1.1 gallons filled, it's not a big deal. The bigger gas generators are the ones that will be having problems.
ed c.

Honda Generator

Post by ed c. »

I used to have a 1000, but it was a little small to operate the charger and microwave at the same time. i brought a 2000 at the Miami boat show at the place next door to the Marriot in the water show for $750. No tax , put it in the pickup and went home. I think the place is called Sun Electronics. They also usually have a booth at that show.
renegademike

anybody have the website for wise sales

Post by renegademike »

anybody have the website for wise sales?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

As with most of you guys.. I have one & love it. I use it for bright squid lights & charging batts. Along with a couple flex solar panels.Keep her on a mooring. Watch those fumes !!!
If possible tie it on the bow.
Wayne
ed c.

Hondo

Post by ed c. »

At last years Miami boat show the company next door to the in the water show ( Sun Electronics ) had them on sale for $750, no tax. I went and picked up two. They are no longer at that location. I have seen them for as much as $1050.
ed c.

Honda

Post by ed c. »

Dug, we place ours on the bow, i have used various models up there with no problems. Of course i never go anywhere in bad weather, that's the beauty of being retired.