Good people on LI for total restorations?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Good people on LI for total restorations?

Post by Dug »

I got a call from a fellow named Kevin Gilgam who owns a 1974 31 on LI. He is interested in either selling or investing a good sum of $$$ in a full on restoration. He doesn't want to do it himself, so hiring is the way to go. I recommended Skip Helme as he was originally thinking to send the boat to FL.

Anyone have any people to point him towards on LI? I know only people on the mainland...

Dug
CMP

Post by CMP »

Hunter Scott on the Cape does beautiful work and yer bud will spend beacoup bux...

CMP
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mark,

Oh yeah. That is for sure!

Dug
ScottD

Elite Marine

Post by ScottD »

If he doesn't mine sending her to Florida, Carl @ Elite Marine does (in my opinion) the best total refits around. He is now doing Supermex, Rolands boat, an has Three other 31's in the yard. Before he does anything he should at least look at his work. Carl has molds for interior and exterior parts that make a factory finish and look original (except better). No total repower/refit si cheap, but Carl's prices are competative for sure. If he needs the number, or pictures of the work, I can get them to him.

Scott
craig mac

Post by craig mac »

I know two excelllent yards that do fiberglass work

Raybo Marine in Lindenhurst tel 631-957-1919

Jim Ray in Lindenhurst located in the Anchorage Marina

Kevin Saer who also posts on the boards is currently doing a full restoration at AllCraft in the Hampton Bays tel-631-728-4499

For mechanical work check at Dickson Marine in Bayshore-tel 631-665-3696

If you are considering Florida, check out L & H Boats in Stuart-tel 772-288-2291---i have visited his shop and he has done a few bertrams as well as building his own boats--very nice work and well regarded.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Every definition of a full restoration is different.
To restore is to return or repair to original condition.

Before recomending yards, it should be defined at to what the owner wants to do and what defines a good sum of $$$$.

IE Carl at Elite does really good work and is a great guy.
But your talking 200g's minimum for his work and is more a custom shop.

I think you would have a hard time getting Carl to just change out a set of engines.

I have two 31's comming in on the 11th and are talking serious to 2 more. All wanted complete restorations. As conversations proceeded with the two contracted boats, budgets defined what needed to be done.

One is getting a diesel conversion but wants to leave the boat otherwise as original as possible.

The other is getting a diesel conversion, new engine boxes, wiring, side air, rudder shelf redo, etc.

Both used the term restore when first approaching me.

A restore and a custom job are two different things.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Grover's in Freeport, is also a linked to this website, does good work on repowers and decks and such. I don't know the limit of their expertise, but do know that a few of the faithful have had work done there in the past.

There is also a marina called Treasure Island, on Long Island, that is in the procees of a keel up job on a 31 Bahia Mar. The only thing I know about the job is that the boat belongs to the yard owner and not sure if he does outside work as well. One thing for sure though is that this boat is looking superb with fresh paint job, 315hp Yannies, and some custom tricks like the deck draining water into the exhaust system instead of the bildge. Also his Glastech deck was just delivered to him this week by a buddy of mine.
Harv
Dug

Post by Dug »

All good advice.

This fellow is interesting. He has had his boat for 8 years or so, and repowered with gas a year or so ago. He just bought a 30' Grady, and is on the fence as to whether he keeps or sells the Bertram. I tried to get as much info as possible, but the long and short of it is that he really doesn't know what he wants to do. He is entertaining $100,000 to $150,000 (I wish I had that to contemplate throwing around!) but I did make sure to tell him that would be nearly 1/2 gone with a diesel repower. He is thinking of the boat as a florida boat, and the details I could get were thin.

I just want to give him names, the rest is up to him and I can cast him free... I told him to make a couple calls, have a few high level discussions. If he likes what he hears, he can go deeper if he wishes. If he doesn't, then sell the boat and walk away no harm no foul.

The great thing about this country is that it is really individual based. If he has reasonable good info, he can make his decision. I won't suffer from this one like others, so I figure it is his responsibility for his stuff.

I did recommend that he list the boat with Patrick if he decides to sell.

Thanks for the info!

D