6 BTA v 6 yanmar v 4 Styer

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

6 BTA v 6 yanmar v 4 Styer

Post by Hueso »

If you had the money..........which will you go for?
Harv

Post by Harv »

6 cyl Nanni
Harv
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Nanni....the toyota based engine?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hey young lawyer, go with the tried and true Cummins 6BTA, near bullet proof, I know.

UV
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Who's going to fix the Nanni?
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Huesso

If you can get the cummins remans you can't beat the price. Tony
Terry Frank

6bt's

Post by Terry Frank »

215s are $15800 with ZF transmission.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Terry

The 270 before the January price increase were about 18,000 with Transmissions. Tony
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Cummins.....
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Go with the one that you can get the best service on in your area.

Dealer reputation and reliability are important for after the sale use.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Hueso,

Bruce hit it right on the head.

I bought Yanmars, and love them. I have no issue with Cummins, however there is no (zero, zip, nada) service available in the Mystic, CT area. Nothing. Period.

Yanmar has excellent dealers, and the one I bought from is one of the best. I am lucky to have that resource.

They are both excellent engines, but if all engines need to be fixed once in a while, and if you can't get it fixed by a competent professional, it is no longer a great engine to you. It is a dead engine to you...

I vote Yanmar, but that is purely my own experience! I run 24 knots day in and day out at 11 gph without any headaches. And I can get them fixed if I need to! Can't beat that with anything!

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

Besides good service for fixing, they can be professionally serviced so they don't need to be fixed in the first place.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

If you are looking at comparing Steyr I noticed in the heading it said 4 steyr. Steyr does make 4 cylinder motors but nothing in the HP range of the aforementioned 6 cylinder motors. Mine are six cylinders. I love them. The other guys are right though. Service is crucial. If you cant get oil filters for them than you will not be happy.
On a side note, Steyr is fairly new to the states compared to cummins or yanmar, however, they have builing engines for a long time for military use and build high quaulity firearms. If you are not overly familiar I think it is worth the time to research it so you can be happy with your decision. Good luck
Harv

Post by Harv »

Hueso wrote:Nanni....the toyota based engine?
Yes.
Terry Frank wrote:Who's going to fix the Nanni?
The same people that will do my install.....my yard. The yard owner and myself will be getting factory training on the Nanni motors and will be fully certified to work on them. Unlike the Yanmars, the Nanni is a total marinized Toyota diesel, whereas the Yanmar is only a Toyota block. Any non-marine specific parts can be obtained at any Toyota parts counter. Marine specific parts can be delivered "next day" shipping from Maryland.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Tony Meola wrote:Huesso

If you can get the cummins remans you can't beat the price. Tony
Tony,

I am looking to get the 320hp Nannis. When I did my pricing, I checked all the engines available in that horsepower range. The Nanni, the 315 Yanmar and 315 Cummins remans. The Yanmars would have run me about $3000 more, just for engines and gears. The rest of the install would be the same. The Cummins would have run me $6000 more for the complete install, although engine and gear prices were closer.
Harv
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

We should have a couple Nanni powered 31B's at the Mid-Atlantic Rendezvous this year. The two I know of are in Brick Nj; maybe one from MD and who knows maybe Have will get a move on soon. One of the 31B's has the 320HO 6's and the other has the 4 bangers. I forget the HP. I may be able to find the seatrial numbers from last fall for the 4 banger.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

WATERWAY POWER CENTER
2017 Renard Court, Annapolis, MD 21401
410-266-0590 410-266-0534 Fax
800-286-8758

SEA TRIAL

Boat Manufacture: Bertram Year: 1978

Boat Size: 31’ Displacement: 9,675 lbs

Customer: Lloyd Simola

Engine: 200hp Trans Ratio: 2:1 Prop: 19 X 20 5 Bladed (Veem)

Engine RPMS SPEED(knots) Exhaust Temp(ºF) Exhaust BackPress (psi) Fuel SystemVacuum (in)
Idle 4.1 .02 .5
1000 5.4 .2 .5
1500 7.4 .5 1
2000 10.7 .5 1.5
2500 17.2 600 .75 1.5
3000 22.7 675 1.0 1.75
3400 24.9 850 1.0 1.75
3600 26.1 900 1.0 1.75
Max RPM( 3900 ) 27.5 925 1.0 1.75

Looks like the header info rolled over. You get the picture.

This is text Rob sent with the data.

It's Rob here, from Waterway Power Center and the Toyota based Nanni Diesel engines. Since the gathering in Atlantic City we have had another great sea trial on a very well kept 31 Bertram. The vessel is located in Brick, NJ. It is owned by Lloyd Simola, and Pete at Maximum Marine (one of our dealers located in Brick, NJ) did all of the work to the vessel. I have some pictures attached to this e-mail showing the delivery of the engines all the way up to the sea trial. Also attached is our performance graph. The max speed the boat reached was 27.5 knots at 3900 rpm's. It cruised at 24.9 knots at 3400 rpm's. The boat is just a hair under propped and minor adjustments will be made. Once they are made, we feel that we will gain a knot or two at both the max and cruise speed. Lloyd and Pete visited the Rendezvous this past year and am sure that Lloyd will attend future events. As it turned out, our 200 hp Toyota based Nanni Diesel did even better that we anticipated. If anyone has any questions about Lloyds Bertram, or any of the others being re-powered or already re-powered, please give me a call or send me an e-mail. I will send you all of the specs of the engines and pictures of all the installations. We are editing the video footage of the sea trail and it can be available to anyone upon request. I thank you all for your time and we are already looking forward to next year.

Best Regards,

Robert Gerbig III
Head of Sales and Dealer Development
Waterway Power Center
(410) 266-0590
(410) 266-0534 Fax
robertgerbig@waterwaypowercenter.com

www.waterwaypowercenter.com
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Hola Hueso !!!
Love my Yanmars !! BUT go with whoever give you the BEST service.

1965/2007 Bertram 31
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

As always the faithful rule. Down here I have service available for Cummins, Yanmars and Nanni. During the Miami Int Boat Show I had a chance to talk with the Styer's representative, J. Rich Alley. Excellent guy and he was very helpful and most of all, honest. He informed me that he will not recommend that I buy the engine to use it down here because he does not have a local distributor in the island. To this end, he offered me to become one. Tempting offer, but I believe I have a couple of rounds left in my law career.

On other related matters, I was even offered a marinized GM Hummer engine. I have never seen so many marine crap stucked up in a single building. Got tired of looking at Clorox bottles and every time I got into one of those I said to myself: "THANK GOD I HAVE A BERTRAM!"

Hope to post some pics of the boat show soon.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harv

I have the 270 Cummins remans due in about 2 weeks. The pricing I have on the engines, transmissions and gauges without install and other work I have to do is $36 and change. I don't have to redo the dash since the cummins gauges fit in the old panel. I picked the 270 over the 315 because there would have been about a $10,000 differance in pricing, since they were an additional $5,000 per side. Also the 270's are less maintance due to the after cooler and for 2 to 3 knots more at cruise it wasn't worth the money. I should have a cruise close to 25 knots with a top end somewhere around 27 to 28. The 315's would probably give me a cruise around 27 to 28 knots and a top end around 33 knots.

Once out in the ocean, I don't see me being able to cruise at 25 knots that often.

Of course like everyone else I have the other expense, rudders, shafts, new bulhead behind the engine etc. But I would have to have done some of that even if I repowered with gas. The Cummins dealer I am using has a slightly pair of used shafts I can use. They just need to be cut down.

As I said to John Jackson, I never dreamed the money could disappear so quickly.

So good luck in whichever way you go.

Tony
Harv

Post by Harv »

Tony,

Your pricing for the 315's is about the same as mine, which is where I came up the the $6000 difference. That doesn't include intakes, exhaust, shaft alley, shafts, and struts. With the Nanni's I should be able to keep what I have. The only thing extras would be dripless seals and new props. I hope to cruise between 28 and 30kts, with a top around 35kts, that is, if I get the same performance Chris and Art got with their Yanmar repower on Priceless. Biggest difference between you and myself is, you almost always have a beam sea when you travel offshore and return, and I almost always have a head sea going out and a following sea coming home.

Things are coming together slowly for me. The new 235gal fuel tank should be here in 2 weeks. Swim platform is already here. Just waiting to gather some more $$$ for the engines and install.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harv

Good luck. In a couple of weeks I will uncover a move more of the work forward. Engine beds then shaft logs struts and new rudders. I am sure no matter what you will be happy with the performance over the gas engines.

Hueso

Keep us posted on your progress. Plus its gotten cold up here. How about one of those nice warm pictures you usually put up this time of the year?

Tony
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

service is not a factor i do my own work.i removed 6lpa yanmars 250hp and installed 315 hp cummins cost was 34,600 for the pair in 2006.dyno showed 314hp at 2780 rpm.we are a yanmar dealer and i would have installed 370hp yanmars or 370hp cummins if i did it again.i cruise at 3okts and if i could i would cruise at 35.i have know idea what people are talking about as far as cruise speed the everglades blows past me at 45 and yes this is to the hudson canyon 72miles somestimes step it up to 50mph.when the waves exceed 5' i wish i had the big block yanmars or 370 cummins you can used the torque to climb the wave broard to the beam and back off down the wave.there is no way in hell you can drive a 28luhrs or 31bertram in the same manner with torqueless 4 cylinders.the of the yanmar bigblocks have the same torque as 3 4cylinders.be it cars ,boats airplanes whatever 6 cylinder is the way to go.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Yanmar 315 lp6 is the best thing I have done for the boat. But go with what you get service for first.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Tony.....your wish is my command.....enjoy!

randall

Post by randall »

nice, nicer, nicest.....great shots!!!
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

randall:

that's called evolution........
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

That Bert looks so awsome!!!! Oh and that pic of your daughter is cool too.
Harv

Post by Harv »

randall wrote:nice, nicer, nicest.....great shots!!!
Randall, you are not only the master of wood, but also the master of understatement!
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Huesso

You are the man. Great Pictures. Its now snowing up here in NJ. Are we jealous, you bet. Enjoy it. Tony
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Brew:

thanks....and that is not my daughter in the picture..........I'm 35.....and thank God for those Danish girls......