1961 Bertram 31?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pagemark

1961 Bertram 31?

Post by Pagemark »

Gents,

I am looking at a 1961 Bertram 31 as a project boat. Is there anything I should know about the '61 models that may influence my decision to pick this or another year model?

Thanks ...\\
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If it is in truth a 1961 Bertram, it would be one of the earliest ones I have heard of. Find out what the serial numbers are. Mine is a 64 and is #31-382. The good news is the hull is thicker than later models. The bad news is the original chain/Cadillac steering box is useless as is the wiring, but then again, you said Project Boat, and I assume you mean it. Walter
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Page,

As far as vintage years go, the early '60's B31 is the best in relation to the hull and fiberglass content. The Sportfish model has the more structurally sound flybridge bue to the over-built and more structurally designed pilasters. The only down side to the earlier models is smaller fuel tank capacity, but on the up side, there's more apparent gunnel height in the cockpit due to the deck being 3" lower.

Br,

Patrick
Pagemark

Post by Pagemark »

Reduced fuel tank capacity is a noteworthy consideration. Yes, the deck is lower than typical. Knowing that this is a project boat and also knowing that I need > 200 gal capacity ... is this is an easy fix or major obstacle?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Page,

Increasing the tank size would entail not only having the tank built, but also restructuring the deck substructure. The deck work may not be that much of an additional expense if the original plywood deck is present. If so, the deck is already on the project list. A new tank will cost from 2 - 3K+ depending on whether you opt for SS, aluminum, or vinylester & fiberglass.

A lot will also depend on how much "sweat equity" you plan on providing... Generally, DIY involvement will lower your cash outlay, but increase the length of time it takes to complete the project.

Br,

Patrick
JP Dalik

61 Bertram

Post by JP Dalik »

There is an older (mid 60's)31 being worked on up here and the entire boat had to be gel peeled due to the alligator skin (cracks). Look closely at the body work on the boat, if you see a little alligator skin starting on the hull or superstructure you may want to pass.
The problem goes away on the 70's boats. Maybe Capt. Pat can elaborate.

Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"