Replace deck

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironman

Replace deck

Post by Ironman »

Guys: Need your views on my next project... Im needing a new deck * have also a desire to move my exhaust to the outside of my stringers....
Has anyone done this with the 330 cummins 5" plus muffler???
Also should I put a panel down the middle for a future dreaded fuel tank redo?
Wayne
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Just finished the job, new Alex Whittaker charterboat deck with fishboxes. new aluminum 225 gal tank. I still have the 454s but the exhaust is 5 inches at the transom. There is plenty room to replace the vernatone mufflers and exhaust if I go to diesels. Already plumbed the tank for diesel returns and gen return.The deck required a little finesse but glassed to hull, transom ,and fwd bulkhead, with all hatches drained overboard should provide a strong dry cockpit, Bill
Bill
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Wayne,
I put five inch mufflers and pipes outside of the outer stringers with an inch to spare in height. Worked fine. 300 Cummins. Used Cabrera decks which are in three pieces. With the center section out the tank is totally accessible. If you're doing all the work now, why not a new tank in the bargain. Cabrera's is 225 gallons and fits like glove.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Wayne

If you think it has to come out later, you better make sure you can take it out otherwise you will be using a sawzall. I believe the ones from Allied Richard Bertram and Cabrera's are 3 pieces. Mine was made locally and was done in 3 pieces. While mine is 10 years old it made it easy to take apart for the current repower. Tony Meola
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ironman i have a 3 piece deck with 6" all the way from engine compartment.i used 6" mufflers from venatone "mini-max". the mufflers also have a front shield to prevent a surge of water from slugging the engine when backing down on a fish or docked with waves at the stern and anchor in a bad seas.