Bilge pumps

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveC

Bilge pumps

Post by SteveC »

I'm replacing my aging Rule bilge pumps & float switches. I'm considering moving away from the separate float switches. Any thoughts on automatic (Rule-Mate) vs. computerized vs. old school with separate switch? Anyone have experience with the Johnson Ultima switch?

Any real difference between Rule, Attwood, Lovett and Johnson bilge pumps?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Use the Ultra Pump switch from Wolf Wire who also sells Tef Gel. Those are much better switches than anything else on the market. They are listed under the Links section of the old site. I've used the higher end Rules with no complaints.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Steve,
I second that . I use the high end Rules. My starboard aft has been in for 7 years and pumps like a fire hydrogen. Port aft been in for 6 years and has always pumped slow same 2000 GPH. Foward Rule , 2000GPH never runs due to the boats attitude (shes on a lift) but has been in for 8 years or longer. To me that's good pumps. Just keep the bilges clean to avoid clogs and switch failure. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
RussP

Post by RussP »

In the last year and a half I've done dozens of survey punch lists and the only float switches I replaced were the Ultra Saftey System high dollar switches, 4 of them. When they fail it seems they stay on and run the batteries down or burn up the bilge pump. I know Robert would have a heart attack if he heard me say this but I would never put any of his switches in my boat. Tef-Gel now thats a wonderfull product.
JMHO,
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Russ, Dave & Rawleigh,
Thanks for your feedback. I'll stick with new Rules (big ones!).
What kind of switches do you recommend? Are the Johnson Ultima switches any good?
I just don't want to put in open float switches - they inevitably get loose crap caught in them and burn up the pump and battery!
Steve
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Steve,

Rule makes auto style pumps with enclosed switches... They are called RuleMates & come from 500 gpm through 2,000 gpm. The 2k is model #RULRM2000.

An Internet search, (Google), on that model number gave price a spread from $162.00 through $250.00, depending on the source.

Br,

Patrick
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

I use the Rule Super switch which will handle the current. Now on the switches getting stuck in the "on position" I've had it happen once and I must say it was my fault for not cleaning the bilge out. That's why we have a hose and bilge cleaners. Any switch weather it be inclosed or exposed can get stuck with bilge debris. Always have each pump wired to a different battery for safety concerns. The electronic swithes I do not know about. Maybe someone can vouch for them yea or nah. Dave K
Keep Fishing...