Key Largo question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DanielM

Key Largo question

Post by DanielM »

Guys, I don’t usually post here but I have a question I figured someone here would have an opinion about. I’m taking my family to Key Largo for a week late in October. Going to dive a few days & generally hang out. The dive shop we are going to use is in Key Largo so we’re going to stay there.

Any ideas for a relatively inexpensive clean place to stay in Key Largo. Clean matters more than inexpensive. I know it’s the keys so inexpensive will be relative. It’ll be me, my wife & our two kids(?) 20 & 22 yr old so we’ll be looking at maybe a condo or some sort of suite type accommodations.

Any ideas? We haven’t been there in about 10 years & we tent camped Bahia Honda State Park last time. I guess we’re getting soft planning on staying indoors this time.

Thanks in advance,

DanielM
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Daniel, try this site to search, under rentals select the upper keys. I have been renting through them for over ten years, very happy with them.

(ask for Marcy Reed) ScottD

http://www.rentalsfloridakeys.com/
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Having been to the keys numerous times, clean is harder to find than you would think.

From expensive resorts to little mom and pop, mold and mildew was almost in every room.

I think you would do better to stay a name hotel chain. The "resort" moniker in the keys leaves alot to be desired.

If I had a home down there, I would probably feel different. But the Keys are over rated as a tourist destination.
But its a must see at least once.

If you do hotel shopping on line and are able to view the hotel and rooms, everytime I booked a room doing that, the rooms were quite different and so were the grounds. The pictures were way outdated.

I also found Marathon a better place to stay on the whole.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Just a few miles down in Islamorada, is Pelican Cove. http://www.pcove.com/ There's a lot to do with Holiday Isle resort right next door. Not too far to run back to Key Largo to dive. And if you rent or bring a boat, they have a launch and dockage on site.

Eddy G
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Thanks for the info. It’ll be good to get down there for awhile.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Z.Cav. is right... the Marriot is nice. It's at about mm104.5 on the bayside. There is also the "key largo grande" which used to be the Westin (mm97-98 on bayside) which I've heard good things about.
Then there is the whole Port largo/ Marina Del Mar area- which has several fishing charters, dive operators, catamaran snorkel charters, restuarants, bars, hotels, etc. ( http://www.marinadelmar.com/ ) Might be a nice option, gives everyone something to do when not out diving.
Or you could stay with us.... but with a lab, a pointer, a 10yr. old boy, a 3 month old girl, my wife and I, it sure as hell aint clean ;)
Anyways, let me know if I can help pin something down for you.

Mark