6BT's in a 28?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

6BT's in a 28?

Post by Kevin »

Just wondering if it is possible. I figure there would be some modifications to
bulkhead where exhaust goes through. Is the 1100 lbs per motor too heavy
for the 28? I do not have 45 thousand to spend on repower but do not want gas engines. Starting to seriously look at the 6BT marine conversion kit. If it would work what transmission would be the best fit? Any ideas/experiences would be greatly appreciated. Kevin
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Talk to Bruce about the new Steyrs. Walter
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Kevin, unless your a real mechanic, there is no cheep way to do diesels.
running takeouts with gears might be had for 25K, but you don't have any idea of how they were taken care of. the marine kit for the cummins, well Mike on the Black Sheep did it, and I don't think at the end of the day there was huge savings. Cummins has a deal on "remaned" at aroune 16k per + gears. What ever you use for motors(got a pair of 6v53n's for cheep, if your intrested) you better figure a min of 10-15k for the install , conversion and running gear.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

There are probably some serious hieght issue with them in a 28.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Jack

Real Tight

Post by Jack »

I don't know if the 6BTAs would fit in a 28. If you can get 4BTAs at the right price they will fit without too much trouble.
unabashed hyena lover
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

SteveZ, who posts here has a 28 with 6BTs. When I research this subject prior to my repower in 2000, I found that the B28 has something like 8 different engine compartment configurations. What will fit conveniently depends on which one you have. Bertram built a number of 28s with 6 cylinder Volvo diesles. These boats have an engine compartment which is readily compatible with a 6BT. My 1975 B28 was originally power with 351 Fords (Mercruiser 233). The engine compartment was the shortest and lowest of all. There did not seem to be any reasonble way to fit a 6 cylinder motor. Of coarse, anything can be done, just a mtter of how much you want to spend.

As stated above, there really is no cheap way to make the conversion to diesel. I would think that one possiblilty would be to look for a good set of Yanmar 170, 190, 200, 230 or 240, running take-outs. These will most likely be the easiest (cheapest) to fit into most B28s.

Good luck

Bill
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks Guys,
Upon doing some measurements today it seems as though 50 inches from bulkhead to coupler just would not be enough for 6BT's. I did email Bruce in reference to the Steyr motors, but I think he is still away from the computer. I read about them at thier website and they sound like a great motor. I am in no rush for motors since the paint is not done yet, but if the right deal comes along I will find a way to come up with the extra cash. I learned a very hard lesson today. The hull was painted(awlgrip) a few months ago. After about a month I wraped the hull in plastic wrap to protect it while I sanded and primer bridge and cap. Never do that. Even though my paint was cured, the water that was caught in the plastic over period of time...and help from the sun I guess caused nasty blistering. Must be hundreds of hours of my time sanding and priming are wasted. By the time I am done re-sanding and painting the rest of boat I will surely have enough for diesels since I have talked myself out of gas motors. Finally, a word to the wise......if you have the cash, buy a boat that has already been fixed up!!!! Owned it a year and a half and only burned a hundred gallons of gas before I started massive projects. Thanks for all the replies. Kevin
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I have 6BTA's w/ ZF trannies in my '83 28' FBC. Since I did not do the conversion I can't speak to the challenges it may have posed. However height was an obvious one. The deck was not raised but holes were cut in the engine hatches to accomodate the radiator caps. Also the hatches were routed out in spots to accomodate the edges of the radiator. Sound insulating the compartment is probably out of the question.

Before and after some bulkhead work this spring:

Image[/img]
John B

Post by John B »

Can you send me more pictures of engine compartment?
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

No problem, give me a couple days. If you don't mind send me an email at steveziv@clearviewcatv.net as a reminder. Also let me know if there are any areas you especially want/need photos of.
-S
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

Steve

What should really be helpfull for the guys looking at 6 cylinder motors is for you to post the length of your engine compartment. Inside, forward bulkhead to aft bulkhead. Mine is all of 48 inches.

Regards

Bill
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

This happens to me all the time, I got ready to take some digital pics and the batteries were shot. I'll be able to get pics tomorrow though. I did take a couple of measurements. My hatch is 48" long and the compartment is around 54".
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

If I remember correctly mine are 50 inches form bulkhead to bulkhead. Hatches are only 41 inches. Definitely too short.