Sealing brass fittings on gas lines......

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

skyking

Sealing brass fittings on gas lines......

Post by skyking »

Hi All....
I am re-plumbing my 4kw Onan gas genny. I have several brass fittings that thread into the new filter/h20 separator and I was wondering what..if any thread sealer to use with gasoline and brass fitting. Can I use teflon tape.....any help would be greatly apperciated...thanks

Ken
Ken
'82 33FBC w/gas
Thornwood,NY & New Port Richey,Fl
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Ken,
Do not use Teflon tape . It will melt in short time and cause a leak. Use Plumbers pipe sealeant with teflon available anywhere. Most hardware stores , Home Depot etc. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
skyking

Post by skyking »

Thanks Capt. Dave.......

Well let me go out and re-do it then. Is that "Plumbers sealant w/Teflon" you mentioned...a paste ???? Thanks again for the quick reply.

Ken
Ken
'82 33FBC w/gas
Thornwood,NY & New Port Richey,Fl
John F.

Post by John F. »

I used a "Versachem" non-hardening gasket seal liquid #2 available in small tubes at auto parts stores. It says on the tube that it can be used for gas line fittings. I haven't had a problem.

John F.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

HMMMM, I've used teflon tape on a lot of fuel lines, including my 600 above ground tank with no problems. Are you talking about heat or melting from the contact with gasoline?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Gas (and diesel) eats teflon. Use the blue plumber's stuff or Aviation Permtex is my favorite, never gets hard and seals good. It's another of da Judge's potions, also great on bolts in the wet parts of the engine like manifolds and heads.

Speaking of potions, the "U" bracket that holds my Garmin 2010C chartplotter in front of the steering wheel on AJ got a strange whack in the Katrina deal. I figure when she was floating around 15 feet off the floor in the dry stack building she came in hard contact with the back of an outboard boat up in the racks and that caused the severe damage to the half tower, f.b. windshield, autopilot head, etc. I noticed this weekend that the Garmin bracket was gouged out really bad. Figure the lower unit of an outbaord busted thru the windshield, skipped off the Garmin bracket, then came down between the spokes of the steering wheel and whacked the autopilot head, smashing it to bits. The chartplotter was not on the boat, thank goodness or it would have been in small pieces. Anyway, when I took the bracket off today to bring it home and grind the sharp edges off, I noticed a lot of white aluminum oxice under the 4 s.s. cap screws and finishing washers that held it on the ash wood mount. No, I did not use any Tef Gel under them, even tho I had it on hand, just too lazy to go get it. Not bad corrosion, but on the way to it. Will grind down, paint, then use plenty of Tef Gel when it goes back on. Just a heads up Faithful, it don't take long for that battery to set up between aluminum and stainless.

I looked at a couple of stainless thru aluminum places where I'd used the Tef Gel, like the upper mount of my SSB antenna where the stainless bolts go thru the pipe on the half tower - zero corrosion. Use it. If you don't have it, CX will do for a while, but it seems the Tef Gel is permanent.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I use RECTO SEAL. Its a cream colored sort of pasty sealer. I have used it for all sorts of industrial applications including Steam Pipes. I have been using it for years and never had a problem with it at all. Have used it on gasoline fittings for a long time.
Harry Babb
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Another good one is a Hercules product called Grip. Good for high and low temp, it kind of resembles coal tar.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315