Santa's present

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Santa's present

Post by Yannis »

Father Christmas had a surprise for me this year!

He saw me having a real hard time playing with the arrows button trying to locate way points, so he chose the touch screen version.
Thanks Santa!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191620136 ... res/Fw02QP
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
scenarioL113

Re: Santa's present

Post by scenarioL113 »

I have the same unit and I am very happy with it. It is touch screen and has some buttons as well.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hey Scenario,

i haven't even tried anything from it yet. I follow your comments but I,m NOT a computer/ display /Lico person!
Still I follow all your comments that I can understand.
Come to the Aegean without a gps....hahaha
I've been without one for two years. seen disaster rocks ...freaked out!!
Only my (super) experience saved me...Saved me really.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Garmin, easy to use and good service. You will enjoy it and then try and figure how you did without it.

Garmins are pretty intuitive. You will not have any issues using it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I wish I had more money to spend and more space on the dash, for those extra wide ones.

I asked the clerk why is that other model so much more expensive, he said that it even captures Netflix. Netflix on a gps screen!!!
When you have NOTHING else to do on a boat you watch Netflix on the fly bridge!!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes the electronics are getting stupid going off the path of use...buddy spent 6k on "electronics".

I thought it was so cool going out on his boat, I got to play with it for awhile, very intuitive with radar, chartplotter, sonar all linked together on a huge touchscreen. I'd ask if it was ok if I touched the settings or if he knew how to use this or...his answer was, Carl, I know how to put the stereo on. Yes, that was in there too and yes that's all he knew how to do. I'm not sure why he spent what he did for a glorified stereo...but I hand fun.

Happy to see you got yourself a GPS, enjoy!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

We good to go until Russia uses its orbital satellite killers to down the gps system.
Compass, a watch and good eyes is all you need. That and some math skills. They teach that anymore?

Loran anybody? :-)
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

And some old paper charts!

I have a friend who put two Raytheon 12" displays in his dash with all the bells and whistles. First time we went out fishing last summer we could not get the depth contours to show although he knew he bought the map set that had them. We tried every menu we could think of and could not get them to display. We had to guess at the exact location of the lumps we were looking for and were slightly off, with correspondingly bad fishing. Next day he determined that declutter was on!

My point, as Carl and Yannis described, is that the manufacturers keep trying to out do each other in how much extraneous crap they can include as a sales gimmick, to the point hat they are virtually unusable without an instruction manual, which they do not provide! The simple Garmins provide all you need to get from point A to point B safely! The rest is just fluff!

Remember what Uncle Vic always said: "The enemy of good is better"!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Bruce wrote: Dec 30th, '21, 10:13 We good to go until Russia uses its orbital satellite killers to down the gps system.
Compass, a watch and good eyes is all you need. That and some math skills. They teach that anymore?

Loran anybody? :-)
I have a buddy's boat sitting at my dock. He has roughly $10 million invested in this boat. It does not have a compass!!!!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

You better school your friend on the use of a compass and paper chart.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I assume I no longer need to buy the Navionics program each year. That’s a good thing.

Rawleigh, Tony, the clerk at the store had to use some sort of simplification, so that we could really see the sea and the land, as opposed to the hundreds of points of so called “interest”, from fueling stations to ALL the nav lights, shipping lanes, to even restaurants, pharmacies, etc.
When all these are displayed you can no longer navigate!
Oh, and what is this new term? extraneous crap? Ha ha good one, I’ll make sure I use it with my friends! Lol !

By the way, I only need the plotter function and did not purchase the extra depth sensor, however I had to pay for that function within the machine itself, you cannot just buy a simple plotter anymore...