Rubrail Water leak

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

micky

Rubrail Water leak

Post by micky »

Since I installed the rub rail on the hatteras the bilge is filling up with water. I've taken 20-25 gallons out after a heavy rain. Last week I discovered that the leak is coming from behind the rubrail. I originally installed all the screws with 4200 and sealed under the rubrail with silicone so that it would look nice. Last weekend I removed the rubrail and re-sealed all the screws, came back this week and the bilge is full of water again. I put the hose in the front deck so that the water flows down and a lot of water is coming in.

Water is getting in between the hull and the rubrail and because it can't drain because of the silicone the water is getting in between the hull and the cap.

What can I do to resolve this issue? I can remove the silicone from under the rubrail but then salt water will come in when using the boat.

Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Rubrail Water leak

Post by Bruce »

Can you run a seam of caulk on the top joint all the way around?
Sheer Folly

Post by Sheer Folly »

I agree with Bruce, caulking the top seam will stop the rain water from entering the hull and eliminate most of the dirt streaks that show up on the hull sides.

I didn’t caulk the underside of my rail because I have the original aluminum rail and don’t want to trap water that would accelerate corrosion.

I realize that underway, in a heavy sea, I might get get some sea water in, but not that often so I’ll risk it.

Granted, it does look nicer with the underside caulked, but the only time anyone would see it is when the boat in on the hard, unless you’re a fish.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

My original rubrails were fully called with drain holes drilled in the stern corners. Maybe you could put another one depending how the boat sits in the water.
Jason