Fuel tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Fuel tank

Post by PeterPalmieri »

We currently have a 185 gallon aluminum tank that was foamed in place, 2010. Not yet sure if it is something we want to save or replace when converting to diesel. If it pops right out, looks clean and will serve us well we will certainly keep it.

The question is if it needs replacement, we can go with a new aluminum tank that can be sourced locally which seems to be the default option, order a fiberglass tank from high tide marine, maybe there are other options for fiberglass or go with polypropylene (a plastic tank). I don’t know much about the later but it seems this is the route most new boats are going.

Thoughts, opinions, experience?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
scenarioL113

Re: Fuel tank

Post by scenarioL113 »

I installed a polyethylene tank when I did my diesel conversion it was made by Moeller.

I have no complaints and it has been in the boat since 2008

For you the 185 Aluminum tank will work fine. You will be using a little less fuel when you convert to diesel than you are using now with your BBs
I also dont think you are doing canyon runs where you need the capacity.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I do plan on doing canyon runs, day trips. 185 should give me enough range to go to the Hudson, troll for the day and come back. But having extra if I did end up replacing the tank would be the smart move if we wanted to run to the cape or mid Atlantic for a rendezvous. Who knows we may move south in the future and want to run to the Bahamas.

If I can stay with the current tank for now I wouldn’t be disappointed.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

New power should give you 225 mile range with 25% reserve easy. What is a round trip to the Canyons for you?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

If that is the case Pete then you will still have good range with the 185 BUT 200-220 gallon capacity may be preferred. Honestly you will not know for sure till the repower is done and setup properly.
Your particular tank and the "actual" usage amount that your current tank will provide you. She may be rated at 185 but only able to supply 170~~~ish
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Amberjack wrote: Sep 5th, '21, 11:47 New power should give you 225 mile range with 25% reserve easy. What is a round trip to the Canyons for you?
It’s approx 100 mile trip from my dock.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Peter

185 is a little light if the weather turns. If i was making a new tank i weoiild go no less than 220. I would say 250 is the max. Figure that extra 35 gallons gives you about 2 more hours of running time under ideal conditions.

Not sure they are making plastic tanks that big. The cost of a fiberglass tank might turn you back to aluminum. With the crazy price of things who knows, but High Tide marine is not cheap.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I recall the life of a aluminum tank is about 12 years. Much longer if ventilated well with no water inside, some coating are supposed to make them even last longer. A tank sitting on wet wood or rubber can lead to a shorter life.
So now that we know the tank could be fine, past it’s prime or anything in between the best option is to look as best you can when she’s empty and has been cleaned and free of fumes. Get in and look. Inside at the welded corners on the bottom, look for signs of corrosion. If you pull check those areas well. Most leaks start there and we’re tank was sitting on…

Only issue I found going from 170 to 222 is the extra weight aft, I went longer and a bit deeper. Full tank I felt the weight…but 1/3 tank I really felt as all fuel moved aft causing boat to squat at low cruise. Tabs helped. An extra few hundred pounds for duels really helped.

As you said, if you can look and see your golden. Change tank for a couple long runs…could do that or a removable bladder on the deck for those few times. Decision s decisions…do it now and be done or get through project closer to that budget ( money and time wise). FYI it’s often not one or two things that put you over…it’s the combination of many.
neil

Post by neil »

Peter we carry 250 nothing like having enough fuel
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I have 220 and never noticed the boats being stern heavy with the gas or now the diesel engines. Once I hit a half tank, she does pick up speed. Personally, I would prefer carrying more fuel. Bladders are fine but a pain in the but. You have to transfer the fuel, the thing is in the way until you dump it. A 50 gallon bladder, probably would not get dumped until you are the tip of the Hudson.

If you run into fish on the way out, then what do you do,

I vote for a 250 gallon tank.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Sep 7th, '21, 00:14 Carl
I have 220 and never noticed the boats being stern heavy with the gas or now the diesel engines.
Tony- you would have had to run with a 170 in yours to know the difference of a larger tank.

As Peter is going with heavier Diesel motors in front of the tank the weight distribution evens out AND he'll have no issue with the power needed to stay at a low planing speed IF he wished to.

Sure it's nice to have the extra cruising range. Is it a must have? Only if tank says it's time to replace me. Otherwise, it depends on his budget, needs, and wants.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Being out in bluewater on fish and having to head back early because of range limitations just sucks. If you're planning on canyon runs, get the biggest tank that'll fit.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

You missed an important item here. It is fun spending someone else's money.

But even if it was my money, I would want to be under that deck just once and not have to come back in 3 years, so I would put in the 250.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Sep 7th, '21, 20:36 Carl

You missed an important item here. It is fun spending someone else's money.

But even if it was my money, I would want to be under that deck just once and not have to come back in 3 years, so I would put in the 250.
Point made Tony.

Rip the bandaid off and go for broke...so to speak.

While under the floor this is the time to check the condition of the tank, especially as it is bedded in foam. That I thought was a wise move from the beginning. As pulling the tank is the "job" I'd guess this is the time to just replace...if replacing going with more range does make sense as the cost of extra capacity is negligible and those motors won't skip a beat with any extra weight.

I kinda forgot pulling the tank would be on the clock, for me it just would be an extra day or two of my time to pull, inspect and replace.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

We will see, the boat comes out of the water on Friday. High tide no longer makes a fiberglass tank and Moeller hasn’t returned my email on a polyethylene. So a locally made metal tank is most likely the way to go. Will see if we can get close to 250gallons and I will be happy.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Pete-
I imagine you have a local resource, but, Luther's in Bristol RI http://www.lutherswelding.com/our-solut ... rine-tanks made my tank and have an excellent reputation. They have drawings for B31s and will quote over the phone.
Good luck,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Carl,
I have the original 220 gallon fuel tank on EarleyBird, though the glassed in specs say 160. I know it’s wrong. Leaving Manasquan for the Hudson either the 100 square or the 150/050 on an overnighter with the generator running all night the most I have ever used with my Cummins 270 hp, is 167 gallons. Either before the evening start trolling after 80 miles or on the way home 80 Togo.Have been caught in some real nasty weather too. 600 rpms for 40 miles blowing NW 20/25. Normally she burns 150 give or take 10. Do I wish I had another 30 gallons, sure. Take 100 gallons out of her and she picks up a knot or more on the way home, then again we try to get all weight forward. I also have an insulated fish box port inside, between the bulkheads. She might lean to port with a load of ice and tuna…..at the dock. I do not have tabs either.
By the way, how do I know it’s wrong, ran from Manasquan to Rudee Inlet on my way to Hatteras, 220 miles and put 197 in her. Thank goodness the fuel dock wasn’t far and it was flat ass calm. Go for 220 or more. 🤪 EarleyBird
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

I HAD MINE MADE LONGER IT HOLDS 240 AND STILL ROOM TO GET TO THE AFT BILGE PUMP
neil

Post by neil »

Peter if you can fit 250 do it