SEA HOTTIE--YACHTWORLD LISTING

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

SEA HOTTIE--YACHTWORLD LISTING

Post by Craig Mac »

No affiliation----Pretty pricey---Nice pics for ideas.....

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/b ... Ci1twmnbCI
Craig Mac

Re: SEA HOTTIE--YACHTWORLD LISTING

Post by Craig Mac »

FYI---that's an L & H deck
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

For 350k I can start from a bare hull and do it exactly how I want and have a couple of bucks left over. It’s a beauty of a boat but the price is a joke.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Very nice...not 350k nice.

At 350K I'd at least expect new motors, not freshly sprayed motors. No risers, just heat tape wrapped dumps wedged into notched motor box...that's something I'd expect to see from me.

Interior...well anything is a step up from mine so its really nice...design wise...eh.

Cockpit...looks top shelf and she looks well done otherwise.

Hope he gets his price...
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Very Pretty Boat.
I never have understood disparaging another owner's price. Hope he gets 4 bids at the ask.
All of that looks better than I've been able to do but then again most (all?) do.
Maybe the American Custom Yachts pedigree will help, It's not hard for me to imagine spending that kind of $$$ doing a refit in that yard.
Now anybody who looses out on Sea Hottie but wants an "original" style gasser with heaps of "character" and "patina" - have I got a deal for them...
Possunt quia posse videntur
John F.

Post by John F. »

Pretty boat. Bring a boat to a yard and have a top-notch refit done on a B31 and I'm pretty sure that you'll be close to that number and waiting a year or two for it to be completed. Good luck to the seller and way out of my league, but yeah, that's a lot.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

American has done a few 31’s—I think they did 2 with no windows —it was recently posted on here
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I really like all the work Elite marine does. Decks, fish boxes, live well, air intakes in the pilasters. Lots of nice stuff. Aesthetically not a huge fan of the cabin design. Not sure if the do the rudders on the transom on all their jobs.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978/b ... r-3707472/
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I learned on this board that "The money is in the iron" These cummins are GREAT ENGINES and I value them at about 60K (on a high note with gears and completely redone with OEM brand new parts).
Not sure where the other 289K is on this one...

It is a beauty for sure and cosmetically is perfect, like I have said before the price is laughable

My .02 and nothing more

...oh and the refit is from 7 years ago...
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Wasn't Sea Hottie owned by a former member st one time?

She is a pretty boat, but that is a lot to spend, but a new 31 foot boat with outboard will cost just as much if not more.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You can ask whatever you want for something, depending on the demand you may or may not get it. Think of art....there is no art without money. Paintings are only worth what some collector is willing to pay.

There was a time that gas 31's were going for over 100k and needed work.
Paying people to do this custom work is expensive.
You can't buy a new boat for anything close to that price.

Besides anyone with a 31 should be praising high asking rates and sales. It only adds to the value of your boats.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

There is a possibility that may not be able to get insurance for it.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Insurance as a whole is a suckers percentage game.

Was in boating biz for 29 years. Thousands of customers, can't remember anyone who lost a boat. A couple did but they were on purpose for insurance fraud.
You keep your boat in good shape, chances of a loss is nill. Never carried insurance on a boat other than a blanket liability policy.

I don't keep windstorm on my home because the premiums are over 10K a year. Been thru about 15 hurricanes in the home with little to no damage in the last 30 years. I would have given some insurance company over 200K over the years for nothing. Instead I put the premiums into an investment acct and made money and chances are even if the roof does flyoff some time, that money will cover it and I still have some left over.

Insurance companies, except for health care, the house always wins.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bruce a year ago I would have agreed with you but in 2020 my boat was stolen and recovered with damage. In September my wife was hit by an uninsured driver as a pedestrian and is still out of work and sees 3-5 doctors or therapists a week. We seem to now be the exception to the rule when it comes to liability insurance.

That being said I like to also be underinsured and over invested or self insured but there is something to be said by the lawyers who look at choosing insurance companies as the ones that are easier to deal with when placing a claim. My experience is some insurance companies work really hard to not pay you for benefits you think you paid for the right too.

Boats are a lot more fun to discuss then insurance sorry for the derail.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I believe insurance has as much or more to do with the insured as it has to do with the asset.
In a marketplace where $600k++ in coverage is written on center consoles and $800k on the Bertram 35 I believe if the owner checks out and the boat checks out then it is just a matter of the premium.
Possunt quia posse videntur
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Boat insurance is worth its on thread!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

In the long days and nights I was building my 31 from the hull up a few years ago I followed the Sea Hottie refit on line. I loved what the guy did, and still do. He put a lot of effort and love into it. I kind of used it as a template.
Mine cost me around $300k by the end. I’m sure his wasn’t far off. If you factor in your time and labour, it would be way more.

It’s a shame he’s selling after all that effort, but that’s life. Move on, next project.

It’s worth what someone is prepared to pay. I hope he gets it.
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Where does the rear bilge pump discharge? Also I love that deck. I think that how I'm going to do mine. The removal deck is nice, but that it very clean looking.
John F.

Post by John F. »

There's a decent B31 with Yanmar 240s on THT. Lots of recent work at Worton Creek--they do good work. The boat is listed at $75K as I remember. I have no interest in the boat at all--either as a buyer or seller, and know nothing about it except the ad.

And I went to the KI Boat Show this weekend. I got home and hugged Crows Nest and my B20
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J