28 hull sides

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wgiarratana

28 hull sides

Post by wgiarratana »

Have some slight bulging on the hull sides running the length of the cockpit on both sides about a foot off the water line looks to be about where the deck is glassed to the hull anyone else have experience with this? TY
Preston Burrows

Re: 28 hull sides

Post by Preston Burrows »

Fairly common amongst older B28's,story being that's how they came 'hot' out of the moulds so I understand, sides as you say look slightly 'rippled' at about the deck / hull liner joint line - my B28 FBC is a '76 and has been like that since I took over its stewardship in 2001.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

Hey Preston thanks not sure if I described it right but it does look like a ripple from the inside out like the deck/hull liner joint line would be mine basically is a a straight line/ripple running from the deck area in back if the engine box step up back almost like the deck is pushing outward in the hull sound like yours? Have you seen any other posts like mine? Thanks Again appreciate it
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Mine is a 73' and you can see the ripples in a straight line where the interior line meets the hull. From factory the liner was glued with some sort of hard resin putty which came loose in many places so i glassed in the whole liner joint to the hull. Maybe this will help with this distortion of the hull sides in the future, who knows. They faired the hull sides pretty well with the last paint job so it isn't that noticeable unless you look well.

Hope this helps.
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

I've seen with my own eyes at least six B28's with the same 'issue', all those hulls were '70's vintage - what JH describes with his '73 is what I've seen and what you seem to have and are describing.

Mine 'ripples' on the hullsides from about the v-berth to the deck step up area, very slightly more actually on the starboard side than port side - never been an issue for me or any of the other local B28's so far as I know.

I've not seen any internet posts of matters related, the only posts I've seen are of issues are at the forward v-berth area where some have experienced slight structural issues with loose or 'broken' stringers in that area.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

Hey JH are your ripples in the cockpit deck area like from the engine box/deck back? Sounds like Prestons is more forward. Thank you all much appreciate the input.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mine is a November 72. I heard that until the oil crisis of 73 the boats were made heavier, perhaps thicker. Then, as petrol related products became more expensive they started saving on materials.

Anyway, mine does not have any such ripple, however last summer after a run between islands with very heavy weather, I noticed after I pulled the boat, that the starboard v berth liner (the boxy structure onto which the cushions are placed), detached from the hull by about 1mm. As I have replaced the carpet on the sides by thin gel coated glass panels, those too have detached on their lower side where they meet the said liner.

Yesterday I cleaned the area, pushed the panels back in place with a broomstick against the opposite wall and siliconed the crevice.
If you look at it its as if nothing ever happened.
Next year, when I pull the motors, I’ll have my glass guy go under the v berth sides and help with a couple of cloth patches where the liner meets the hull, probably much like what Jorge did on his deck sides.

I looked carefully all around the boat and couldn't detect any protrusion in the areas where the inside floor structure meets the hull.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

wgiarratana wrote:Hey JH are your ripples in the cockpit deck area like from the engine box/deck back? Sounds like Prestons is more forward. Thank you all much appreciate the input.
Hi,

Mine are just as Preston described, more forward from the vberth to the engine box area. They are more noticeable in the mid-ship area.
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

Hey guys finally able to take another look and I also have some forward like v-berth back more noticeable on the starboard side and along where the cockpit deck would attach but I think they have become more noticeable this year. I saw them blocked thinking because It was on the hard but is sounds like it shouldn’t be a concern? The real problem is to much time on my hands now. Thanks again stay well.