Capt Pat, Mike O, Bruce help

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Capt Pat, Mike O, Bruce help

Post by Mikey »

At the Altlantic City Rendezvous there was a lengthy discussion about weight distribution on the 31. Seems the consensus was that moving weight aft (if possible) would improve the angle of attach at cruise and therefore improve speed and fuel economy. My question is, if this is true, why not move the batteries to the area behind the rear engine compartment bulkhead? Put them on either side of the tank.
I have Cabrera's decks which gives me broad access to that area.
Hep me, hep me.
Your humble admirer
Mikey
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I disagree. I think that the best spot for ballast is right where the fresh water holding tank is. Low.....on center......and just forward of the engines.

Getting the nose down just a hair will help a lot in a head sea, as will the extra weight.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mike,
So if I'm not using the water tank, haul it out and put the batteries there? Wonder why the difference of opinion on weight distribution. Weird.
Tanks, Buckwheat
Spanky
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Capt Dick Dean

The weight

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

maybe now we should talk about TRIM TABS.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

No trim tabs, big dog. They cut fishing line.

My guess is that the different models are balanced differently. Then you add towers, and all sort of other crap....and who knows.

Not all, but most of the 31's I've been on do ride a bit bow proud. And the boat is known to pound in a head sea. A little extra weight, dead low, just forward of the current center of mass is probably not a bad idea.

Of course.....I can only guess at the current center of mass, but it seems fairly apparent just from looking at the boat.

I don't know if I would put the batteries down where sea water is most likely to get at them, but a little lead couldn't hurt. Cut the top off the old water tank and put lead bars in it.

Although Richard Miller will probably disagree..........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
ed c.

Trim Tabs

Post by ed c. »

I put tabs on my boat this past winter. The best thing I have done in a long time. I fish Delaware Bay and we get a 3 to 4 foot chop very close together, by putting the bow down it eliminates the pounding. I can now go offshore without the pounding with all the added weight towards the stern. ( ice, fuel & big bodies.) Just my 2 cents.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mike,
When I put the new blukheads in I sealed the drain between the cabin and the engine compartment with a bilge pump for the accidental water entry. If seawater gets up there I have a whole lot more to worry about than battery placement, know what I mean Vern? Seriously I had considered putting the batteries in the bilge between the engines, low center of gravity and all. So, why not cut the top off the water tank and put in batteries? Then with 6BTA's the next discussion is battery selection before I start wiring. I see several with 4H's, 8H's and some with just standard deep-cycle 12 volts. The big deal as I understand it is schlepping those heavy units. What say gang?
Mikey
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: My vote would be for Optima deepcycles AGM batteries wired in parallel. Mine have lasted 6 years and are still going strong!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Sweet
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harv

Post by Harv »

Professor,

I beg to differ with you on one point. I have fished 2 boats in the last 30 years. They both have trim tabs, and I have never cut off a line while fighting a fish due to the trim tabs. The same could be said for rudders, props, or anchor lines, but we use those every day.
Harv
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Stop using the 200 pound nylon and see what happens......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rawleigh,
We'll talk, again.
Mikey
Going to see Chris' BAron in a while.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein