DD 453 Losing Coolant and Overheating

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Roger

DD 453 Losing Coolant and Overheating

Post by Roger »

Hi,

Have not posted in a while but hoping I can get some advice on some overheating and loss of coolant problems. Still running GM DD 453's. Hoping to re power some day but in the meantime it gets me where I want to go. Easter 2019 I serviced my transmission but when we were going to mount back we noticed the flange between the manifold and riser was pitted but I had to use the boat over the long weekend so went ahead and hooked up. Since then I have been getting a lot of sooth in the engine which I know is due to the gasket between the manifold and flange not sitting properly due to the pitted flange. But I am also experiencing overheating. The engine temperature runs up and if I do not come back down to 1900 rpm it will definitely go past 200 degrees. I am also losing a lot of coolant which of course will contribute to the over heating. My question is can the pitted flange cause me to lose coolant?

I have pictures but was having problems inserting them.

My other question is, if the flange could be the problem where can I source one. The part number is 5122517 I have searched but not with much luck. Hoping someone may know where I can get one.

Thanks in advance for you assistance...

Roger
buzzk

Re: DD 453 Losing Coolant and Overheating

Post by buzzk »

I had a pair DD 453 and had a coolant leak.I can't remember the exact flange but it sounds like a similar problem as yours. It took me forever to hunt it down. The flange was leaking but it was so small at idle or running up the RPM's up at the dock, you really couldn't see it because it would evaporate from the heat. I had to take the boat out and run the engine under load and then the leak was barely noticeable but it wasn't a big leak and it was so small that it would still evaporate enough that you couldn't find any coolant on the engine or in the bilge when I cut the engine off. I would have to run the engines at least 3/4 of a day to loose enough coolant for the temperature to start going up on the engine.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks buzzk,

Update...I found a faulty hose today that I believe most of the coolant is leaking from but I would still like to replace the flange for the exhaust side of the leak. Too much sooth on the engine...would appreciate if anyone knows where I can get one of these...thanks again...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Roger

I am not a DD guy, but I believe that is the 53 series engine. I did a quick search and found a place called Diesel Direct that seems to have series 53 parts. At least they have gasket sets, and since I am not familiar what the actual part you need is, I w=not sure that is available. But take a look and just search by DD 453.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Tropic Star probably has a load of parts that they don't need any more.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

It's been a while since I owned the boat with DD453's but getting any of the main parts wouldn't have been a problem. Lots of places sold gaskets, pistons and things like that. My engines had been rebuilt right before I bought the boat. Luckily I didn't need any, but finding the smaller bolt on items was a little more challenging. I used to look in Boats and Harbor. I'll say one thing those were very smooth running 4 cylinder engines. Mine didn't use any oil and only leaked a small amount with very little smoke at start up. I may be one of the few but I liked the engines. I don't need a fast boat but going that slow worked on me after a while and I sold the boat.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Is the pitting in the manifold or the riser? Does the manifold look like this:

https://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel-pa ... v53-u.html

For that price I would see a good welder before I bought one. You can braze exhaust parts as well.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

53 series is the toughest to find parts for. 71 & 92 series still have good support, even from Detroit. Try Stewart & Stevenson, Houston, TX. Ask if they still have the used parts department. They did have a lot of used DD 2 stroke parts.
Good luck, you should be able to run the pieces.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0