HELP!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Cturtle

HELP!!!

Post by Cturtle »

After completing a 20 career in the Marine Corps and 25 year career with the Maryland State Police I inherited from my father his 22 foot Mako. Needing more room I purchased a 1979 28' FB Bertram for 12K with supposedly two remanufactured engines--not so, but that's on me so for 10K I bought two new 350's and had them installed. Steering rebuilt, bow pulpit from High Tide Marine etc etc and 26K more I'm almost to being, of course never there, but you know what I mean. I'm not very mechanically inclined but at 67 I'm learning more than I ever thought I could do. Cosmetically I need some things done but have no idea where to begin and I love this boat so I'm not a quitter and never have been and I'm not going to quit on her now. If anyone knows of anyone in the Beaufort, Morehead City area who would come look at her and give me some guidance I would be willing to pay a fair price for the counseling or if someone does this stuff for a living I'd love an estimate. My name is doug and 443-421-4395 is my phone number. I live in Beaufort(full time) and keep my boat at Homer Smiths.
Carl

Re: HELP!!!

Post by Carl »

Doug...relax

stand back for a bit, take a breathe. remember it's just a boat.

If it were me..get the boat running and safe then use it, Enjoy it. You'll soon figure what about the boat needs to be dealt with to fit your needs. Might be a deck, hatch, paint cabinets extra house battery. Then focus on getting that done as time allows.
Get back to using boat till the next item comes up.
I've found try to stick to the scope of the project directly at hand. It is very easy to find something that seems like a quick fix or pulls you off task. Safety of course take precedence...but otherwise not staying on task can make a job grow to a point nothing gets done and frustration sets in. I much prefer do one and done move onto the next...but grab some enjoyment in between.

if your more of need to get it all done before launching...more power to you. I'll let others familiar with that style chime in on that process.

Anyway you go about it...this is a great resource, use it and again, it's just a boat..,relax, enjoy.

Carl
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

What Carl said.

There are members in your area who will gladly help you out with advice. But like Carl said one step at a time.

Cosmetics can be annoying but should not stop you from using a boat. Make sure she is sage and everything that is supposed to work does. Enjoy the boat and pick a different project each year. Plan them out.

Now with that being said, if you have to pull the deck for some reason, then you should plan on repairing everything under the deck.

What all of us have found is that you start our small and it just takes off on you. When I repowered I basically wound up rebuilding the whole back end. Every thing from the engines back got touched and are still being touched as I change my mind on what I did but figure out later on maybe I should change the configuration.

Make sure the rudder shelf is in good shape. All Thru hulls including shaft logs, struts, rudders, and shafts. Check all the electrical to make sure there are no potential problems you might regret. Once you go over all those system, you can choose the must do to next year or the year after.

Just remember, do not be afraid to ask questions. We are here to help whenever we can.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Hell - these guys have helped me with:
- props off and back on
- rudders out and back in
- bulkheads repaired
- batteries moved
- wired up
- rebuilt cockpit sole
- cockpit panels and cabin headliner
- things you should fasten with stainless fasteners
- things you should never fasten with stainless fasteners
- when to use Tef-Gel (always) https://www.tefgel.com/#
- where to use CorrisonX (everywhere) https://www.grainger.com/product/CORROS ... _vc=HPMPPZ
- everything else.
Harry Babb even had me straightening (well nearly straight) prop shafts in my garage.
The can handle as much as you want to try for yourself.
I post pictures of my projects in mid-mistake for the enjoyment of the brothers here.
Search of the old posts here is a great resource. If the pictures are missing (photoBucket changed their rules) just ask.
Welcome!
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Hi Doug,

I'm at Homer Smiths also (B31 FBC) with my boat currently on the hill over at Jarrett Bay. I've gone through a total refit of a Bahia Mar and now cosmetics (for the most part) of the current boat. The folks here are the best you will find anywhere. I'll give you a call with some of my experiences with various venders in the Morehead/Beaufort area, and moreover just to say hello!

Rick
Cturtle

Post by Cturtle »

Hello Rick, I wonder what happened to you. This is Doug and I had the 28 Bertram directly across from you if you had the 31 with headlights in the bow. Now I see another boat in your slip.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Doug,

First of all, thank you for your military service to our country, and second, for your law enforcement service to your community. I am in the Beaufort area myself and will try to run you down tomorrow (Monday). The guys comments above are all spot on, so maybe we can eyeball some things together tomorrow.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Hello Rick, I wonder what happened to you
Relocated over to Seawater Marina on the causeway to AB.